Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipod Connnector

amerryweather1

Just bought an Xcarlink connector for my Rav4 so I can use my ipod in the car. I have fitted the white connector to the CD changer port on the bottom right of the radio rear. It charges the ipod but I get no sound. In addition once fitted the radio stops working as does the single CD player.

Has anyone succesfully fitted one of these? What am I doing wrong? :wacko:

Many thanks

Just bought an Xcarlink connector for my Rav4 so I can use my ipod in the car. I have fitted the white connector to the CD changer port on the bottom right of the radio rear. It charges the ipod but I get no sound. In addition once fitted the radio stops working as does the single CD player.

Many thanks

Have a look at this post and see if anything rings a bell?

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85841

Yes thanks I've already read that post but it is not really relevant to my problem. At least I don't think so as I HAVE the CD changer..

Yes thanks I've already read that post but it is not really relevant to my problem. At least I don't think so as I HAVE the CD changer..

Ah - that is the point .....

You haven't got the Toyota CD Changer, but before you fitted the Xcarlink, did you have a lead going into the Changer with just a pair of wires in it, or was it not connected to anything at all?

Ah - that is the point .....

You haven't got the Toyota CD Changer, but before you fitted the Xcarlink, did you have a lead going into the Changer with just a pair of wires in it, or was it not connected to anything at all?

:D I do have the CD changer! On the rear of the radio is a white connector with 5+7 pins which is attached to another connector with 5+7 pins. The xcarlink does not work when fitted into either of these slots. Although it does charge the ipod so there must be some connection.

opps - sorry, I misread that :blush: Doh!

Just looked at the XCarLink website and it talks about passthrough cable and stuff, so it all sounds good :g: I don't know anymore - hopefully someone else will have an idea :yes:

Also, the same head Unit is used by a number of different Toyota models, so it may be worth a post in the general discussion forum as someone with an MR2 or landcruiser, etc may have the answer :thumbsup:

On the 4.3 anything that is connected to the external CD changer input is seen as just that - an external changer in addition to the internal :wacko:

The point is that on a 4.3 you have to scroll the "CD" button to switch to the external CD source.

Worth a try.

Many thanks

I have just installed a X-carlink on a B9001 (TNS600) and tryed it too on a 58812 and in both it works fine.

Amerryweather, sorry to be a pain, but can you confirm your set up, so there is no confusion, I believe you have:-

• Head unit with single CD
  • CD changer under seat
  • XCarLink

Is that correct?

Some Possibilities:

It does sound like you've managed to disconnect the avc-lan "loopback" that seems to be required with some headunits, which is what Hoovie was getting at. That is probably why the radio has stopped working.

The gender of the connectors you have may not permit this, but if you can, I'd restore the connections at the head unit and go to the CD changer under the seat, disconnect the cable there and try to connect the XCarLink temporarily to the cable. If that works, then you might need a Y-splitter type cable so you can keep the existing head unit connections in place.

There may be another complication. Each device has an identifier or address. Is the XCarLink supposed to identify itself as a "CD changer" or something like an "MD Changer" (Mini Disk?). If it is supposed to pretend to be a CD Changer, then its identifier may well clash with the existing CD Changer. You may not be able to have both wired up at the same time if that is the case.

It always difficult to debug by "remote control". If you can post pics of the back of the head unit and the cable plugs/connections, it might make it easier to sort out.

Cheers

Amerryweather, sorry to be a pain, but can you confirm your set up, so there is no confusion, I believe you have:-
  • Head unit with single CD
  • CD changer under seat
  • XCarLink

Is that correct?

Some Possibilities:

It does sound like you've managed to disconnect the avc-lan "loopback" that seems to be required with some headunits, which is what Hoovie was getting at. That is probably why the radio has stopped working.

The gender of the connectors you have may not permit this, but if you can, I'd restore the connections at the head unit and go to the CD changer under the seat, disconnect the cable there and try to connect the XCarLink temporarily to the cable. If that works, then you might need a Y-splitter type cable so you can keep the existing head unit connections in place.

There may be another complication. Each device has an identifier or address. Is the XCarLink supposed to identify itself as a "CD changer" or something like an "MD Changer" (Mini Disk?). If it is supposed to pretend to be a CD Changer, then its identifier may well clash with the existing CD Changer. You may not be able to have both wired up at the same time if that is the case.

It always difficult to debug by "remote control". If you can post pics of the back of the head unit and the cable plugs/connections, it might make it easier to sort out.

Cheers

Hi and thanks

Yes I have the Cd changer under the seat, Single CD head unit and Xcarlink with the right connectors for a Toyota. The Xcarlink website just says connect it up and it will work.

Sadly I dont have a camera to show the radio at the back. The radio/cd player has NOT stopped working for good. It;s only when I plug in the Xcarlink that everything else stops. I'm not expecting the Changer to still work when I connect the Xcarink of course.

OK, so it doesn't work in either 5+7 connector. :g:

So do the cables and plugs, (that I assume came with the xcarlink?) allow you to connect the XCarlink to the CD changer cable under the seat?

xcarlink.jpg

I'm still thinking that your original setup is something like the top picture.

You've connected the xcarlink in the second picture, which unfortunately breaks the loopback type connection required by some headunits, which stops it working properly.

Can you do something like the bottom picture? Does it work then?

This may not be correct or help, but it all I've got to go on at the moment.

-----

I want to go outside and clean the RAV + Yaris. Has it stopped raining yet? Has it ****. :angry: Have to do a "dave.m" I suppose :D

OK, so it doesn't work in either 5+7 connector. :g:

So do the cables and plugs, (that I assume came with the xcarlink?) allow you to connect the XCarlink to the CD changer cable under the seat?

xcarlink.jpg

I'm still thinking that your original setup is something like the top picture.

You've connected the xcarlink in the second picture, which unfortunately breaks the loopback type connection required by some headunits, which stops it working properly.

Can you do something like the bottom picture? Does it work then?

This may not be correct or help, but it all I've got to go on at the moment.

-----

I want to go outside and clean the RAV + Yaris. Has it stopped raining yet? Has it ****. :angry: Have to do a "dave.m" I suppose :D

Thanks for your efforts with this!

Yes the top picture is the current set up. THe bottom picture is what i've tried to do but I lose the loopback because I don't have the correct connections to do this. Maybe there are adaptors/connectors which I can buy...

I think the Toyota 5+7 Y-Adapter part number is: 08695-00260

There's another old thread about it here:

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46021

Which headunit is this. 58812?

As you already have a cd changer, I can't help wondering whether you already have a y-adapter buried behind the dash, or I might just have the wrong end of the stick entirely. :D

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links