Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alarm Upgrades For Aygo?

kevin65

Just collected the Agyo on Friday, lovely little car. The brochure states they come with an immobiliser as standard, but there isn't any flashing LED when activated as you get on other Toyotas so there isn't anything to indictate to scumbags that the car has security.

Because of this, I'm thinking of getting an alarm added which works off the remote central locking switch on the keyfob. Got a Meta system installed on my wife's RAV 4 earlier this year. It was done by a local installer and he did a very tidy job, but cost €300 so I was wondering is there any simple plug-in type alarm upgrades available for the Aygo that would be more reasonable?

I think that is a fair price to pay for a good installation including the unit & don't forget as it will only be insurance approved by an official installer.

Plus there are labour costs + the price of the unit. A business has to earn something.

I agree, and will probably get the same alarm installed on the Aygo, but just checking if there are any decent easy install alarms available. I've fitted alarms to a couple of previous cars so wouldn't have a problem doing the fitting myself, but would prefer something that would minimse the amount of cutting and splicing into the car's wiring harness.

The immobilizer Toyota refers to is the transponder-chip in your key.

If you just cut a key without a chip or try to hot-wire the ignition

the car still won't start because of the missing transponder-data.

Should you think a flashing LED will keep thieves away, why not install just the LED yourself?

If you buy a 12V flashing LED with mounting collar you cna put it anywhere in your car you

deem usefull, then connect it with the positive to the +12V from the Battery and the negative

to the +12V switched with ignition, both are available behind the radio.

It might sound stupid to connect negative to a positive, but I can assure you it WILL work;

the LED will only flash with the ignition off, so no distraction while driving.

The immobilizer Toyota refers to is the transponder-chip in your key.

If you just cut a key without a chip or try to hot-wire the ignition

the car still won't start because of the missing transponder-data.

Should you think a flashing LED will keep thieves away, why not install just the LED yourself?

If you buy a 12V flashing LED with mounting collar you cna put it anywhere in your car you

deem usefull, then connect it with the positive to the +12V from the battery and the negative

to the +12V switched with ignition, both are available behind the radio.

It might sound stupid to connect negative to a positive, but I can assure you it WILL work;

the LED will only flash with the ignition off, so no distraction while driving.

Hi Jan

I'm very interested in your idea of a flashing LED with the ignition off. Where are the +ve supplies behind the radio? on the radio itself, or in the wiring loom?? as you've probably already guessed, I'm a newby at this

regards

Geoff

The supplies are in the wiring loom, at the ISO-plugs that go into the radio.

Just take into account that on our little cars have the Batt and IGN swapped at the plug...

Well the genuine Toyota item (Part No PZ464-00133-00) retails at £95.90 Inc VAT however i have the Accessory Installation Manual on my laptop and it's 35 pages long so i would imagine it would take about 2-2.5 hours to fit i would reckon...

Also on the photgraph of the actual "siren" unit of the alarm in the AIM, it's a Cobra 4310 system by the looks of things however i'm not sure if it's a Thatcham Category 1 or Category 2 or Thatcham approved alarm or not

i have the Accessory Installation Manual on my laptop and it's 35 pages long

so i would imagine it would take about 2-2.5 hours to fit i would reckon...

Doesn't the manual have an estimated build time on the front of it???

Thanks for tips on installing a flashing LED, but I'll wait and get an upgrade alarm system.

Didn't realise that Toyota offer an alarm upgrade. I'll call in to the local parts dept (just up the road from where I work) and see what the Irish price is. Don't mind spending time on the install to get it done right.

Where is the accessory installation manual available from?

Well Jan its not in the front of this one... Only specifying the weight of the boxed item

And Kevin65 i could email it to you, its in PDF format so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view it - send me your email addy via pm or post it up here and i'll forward a copy to you

Looked at the instructions, definitely beyond me!.....carrying out a hip replacement looks easier (but then I've practiced that! :unsure: )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links