Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Standard Head Unit + Speakers

mintin42

Got my new Aygo Platinum on Monday, I really love the car but the sound system has to go.

I started off by browsing the internet looking for a "how to" on taking the head unit out and found the official toyota Speaker Accessory Installation Guide for the Sound Pack Upgrade, i got to this point.

DSC01257.jpg

The next stage is;

Picture1.png

So i've managed to get the ventilation dial off with a screw driver without doing any damage but i don't think i can get the console to come out without that tool, does anyone have any advice on a tool/technique to use to get it out without damaging it.

I also want to replace the door and dash Speakers with better quality ones, so if anyone can give me some pointers on the removal of the standard Speakers and the installation of the new ones that would be a massive help.

Thanks in advance! :)

Martin

You really don't need the tool. Just pry with your fingers, starting

next to the knob and working your way op round the sides.

If you're afraid to jurt your fingers you can also try a bread knife wrapped

in insulation tape or folded into a cloth. But all you really need are your fingers...

Great! I just gave it some force and it came right out, thanks!

Now for the door Speakers..

DSC01265.jpg

I've been picking at the edges of them for a while, do i need to take the whole door card off to get to them?

Thanks for the help!

Great! I just gave it some force and it came right out, thanks!

Now for the door speakers..

DSC01265.jpg

I've been picking at the edges of them for a while, do i need to take the whole door card off to get to them?

Thanks for the help!

just pull the door card, there is enough clearance to swap the Speakers, there are 4 bolts under the mesh grille...you cannot get to them but they have 7mm nuts on the back which you can see when you pop the cards away from the door....dead easy to unbolt with a wee socket set and switch to other Speakers....I removed the orig crappy speaker and re-soldered the plug onto my replacement ones...then simply plug and play...30 mins to do both.....takes 17cm Speakers....I used alpine 1725 co-ax ones

Anyone know if you can just swap the new 'speakers in em' door cards with the old ones?

You beat me to it, that was going to be my next question, or, do the "new" door cards have the same design, just with holes in? In other words could i just cut holes in my "old" currently speaker less door cards and fit some?

you could just cut holes in the old style door cards but you would need to run the wiring through to drive the Speakers.

You will be able to fit a relatively shallow 17cm co-ax driver or at a push a component system

Hope that helps

To answer the question regarding door panels - every aygo has the same door card i.e. WITHOUT the hole for the Speakers.

The boggo standard cars only came with 2 Speakers (the ones pointlessly near the windscreen) the others (both tweeters and ones in the front or rear door cards, pending on what Soundpack you had fitted) had to have holes cut out of them, as per the Accessory Installation Manual...

So you can either cut a hole for some juicy Speakers down the custom route OR you can drill as per Toyota Accessory Guidelines. Which are 140mm at the front and 98mm at the rear.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links