Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Double Din Head Unit

halfalife

Hello chaps. I'm thinking of upgrading my stereo on my rav4.3 xtr to a double din ipod compatible unit. Has any of you guys already done this and could chip in with any suggestions. If you have any pics they would be appreciated.

Take it easy.

Why change the head unit when you can get the ipod interface to plug into your existing head unit?

If you are going to change stereo, then this is a must: http://cgi.ebay.com/FP-11-07-Toyota-Rav-4-...idZp1638Q2em122

There's a couple reasons for changing the stereo.....first is i would like full ipod control through the unit...i had this in my last car and it was very convenient. Secondly to improve the sound quality....unfortunately the sound out of the fitted unit is not the best. I also think a double din unit would look a lot better than a single. Unfortunately they are not cheap....but a worthwhile investment i think.

With my rav4.2 I had to change the Speakers and head unit to get proper sound quality. I don't know how the original Speakers are for the rav4.3, but it could be worth investing in a couple of component Speakers. I had this done, and I'm very satisfied with the sound, even though my replacement speakers were quite cheap. I spent less than 600 dollars for a complete set of speakers and a head unit, and it was well worth it.

A nice 2 din player that is not too expensive is Pioneer FH-P800BT. You can also get a converter for your steering wheel controls (if you have).

Out of interest, there was a review of iPod Compatible Head Units in this weeks AutoExpress that may be worth a read. They were all 1-Din size, but one thing you could do is use the other half of the dash area to keep your iPod in safely ;)

I happened across the Pioneer unti St Thicket posted a couple of days ago - street price seems to be about £130, which is not bad considering it has the iPod control and bluetooth functionality (which is often an extra cost on units that claim to be bluetooth 'compatible' )

Re the Steering Wheel Controls - has anyone actually successfully used their Toyota Steering Wheel mounted controls with a non-Toyota Head Unit?

Hi Hoovie, My Sony D/D Unit did a wheels-up recently so I fitted a KW-XG701 Double DIN CD Receiver with USB in my Avensis. The difference in sound was quite amazing, almost glad my Sony, (original) unit packed-up! Plus it has all the features you require. Here's a link: http://jvcmobile.co.uk/product.php?pr=134

Shop around and you can pick them up quite cheap, £130-150 I know Maccess have the cheap. :thumbsup:

Good luck, Bill.

Re the Steering Wheel Controls - has anyone actually successfully used their Toyota Steering Wheel mounted controls with a non-Toyota Head Unit?

I haven't tried it, but I've seen a couple of systems that are designed for interfacing toyota. One was for Pioneer and one was for Kenwood head units. I have looked at the bus system that toyota use, and it's quite similar to what pioneer use, so it should work fine in theory. Of course, theory isn't always the same in reality.

• 6 months later...
Hi Hoovie, My Sony D/D Unit did a wheels-up recently so I fitted a KW-XG701 Double DIN CD Receiver with USB in my Avensis. The difference in sound was quite amazing, almost glad my Sony, (original) unit packed-up! Plus it has all the features you require. Here's a link: http://jvcmobile.co.uk/product.php?pr=134

Shop around and you can pick them up quite cheap, £130-150 I know Maccess have the cheap. :thumbsup:

Good luck, Bill.

How did you interface steering wheel controls with the KW-XG701 ?

I have a RAV4 and want to install KW-XG701 but I don't see how to get the STW controls to work ...

• 1 year later...

Hello chaps. I'm thinking of upgrading my stereo on my rav4.3 xtr to a double din ipod compatible unit. Has any of you guys already done this and could chip in with any suggestions. If you have any pics they would be appreciated.

Take it easy.

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAV4 stereo too.

I found this the link

with iPOD/iPhone control and Changeable, and with the install guide the link

Any one purchased that unit before?

CAUTION - LINKS ON THIS POST HAVE BEEN FLAGGED BY MY SECURITY SOFTWARE AS HAVING THE POSSIBILTY OF CONTAINING A VIRUS. Ancs.

Take it easy.

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAV4 stereo too.

I found this the link

with iPOD/iPhone control and Changeable, and with the install guide the link

Any one purchased that unit before?

CAUTION - LINKS ON THIS POST HAVE BEEN FLAGGED BY MY SECURITY SOFTWARE AS HAVING THE POSSIBILTY OF CONTAINING A VIRUS.  Ancs.

This guy has posted links to that site on all his posts - very dubious IMO !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links