Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Another Key Question !

nattyboy

When we got our 2005 D4D it had the main kety with the buttons and a spare with no buttons.

No we all know the horrific prices dealers try to charge for progarmming another key - so my question is this;

IF we were to lose the key with buttons..can I get another button operated key programmed from the spare with no buttons ? If the answer is yes then I wont bother paying for another 'proper' spare but if its a no then I think I will have to bite the bullet and get one done.

Its just the thought of shelling out over £200 for a thing that will be left in a drawer and probably never used..but sods law dictates if I dont get one the missues will lose the main key next week...lol..!

Cheers

Nat

:rolleyes:

Hi,

I presume that you have the normal type of key.The car should have come with 2 black keys and 1 gray so Im thinking maybe you got it s/h which might explain the salesman going for the cheaper key,as they do. The key with the remote function I would think would be a Master key which they would need to code in the new key; non remote; they have a option to code in the new key as a Master or sub,you would hope that they coded it as a Master key as you can only code a new key to the system from a master key. The clever chaps at your dealer should be able to tell you what keys you have by plugging in the tester , 10 minutes ,if you have two masters you are ok as long as you dont lose both, if one only is a master key the other can be erased and recoded as a master this then bring you back to to master keys and a cheaper option,hope you understand this and its of use,

Hedley.

That really helpful - thanks !

Should have mentioned..yes - I got the car secondhand and the spare is grey....is that automatically a master - think i'll nip down the dealers this weekend to have a word !

Nat

Should have mentioned..yes - I got the car secondhand and the spare is grey....is that automatically a master - think i'll nip down the dealers this weekend to have a word !

As I have just learnt while trying to sort out my key problems, the grey key is the "subkey". This key works the same as the black "master" keys except you shouldn't be able to unlock your glove box with it. Go try it now... This is so you can take it for a service etc and leave just the grey key so they can't get at your murray mints. With your keys you should also have been given a small metal tag with a number on it. The dealer may need that number to code a new key for you. This is all in the manual if you got one with it.

I haven't had a quote for a replacement master key yet, are they really £200 plus?!?!?

Good luck

Sly

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links