Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Advice

ravishHoG

Hello ppl, bought a new RAV4 a month ago, my first automatic car, any advice on that?

do i put it in "N" when in traffic lights? i have 1000 KM till now, not really exceeding 3000 RPM, top speed till now 130 KM.

Welcome to the club.

You can put it in neutral if you know you are going to be standing for more than 30 seconds or so. The transmission gets hot if held in drive for long periods.

We have a few owners with auto's who will chat to you soon. There is one called bitman who records all his gas mileage so you can get an idea of what you should be achieving.

Regards

Hello ppl, bought a new RAV4 a month ago, my first automatic car, any advice on that?

do i put it in "N" when in traffic lights? i have 1000 KM till now, not really exceeding 3000 RPM, top speed till now 130 KM.

Haven't driven a RAV auto but I have driven other auto's, including 4x4 auto's and I just left it in D at traffic lights with my foot on the brake. Don't know if that's right, wrong or just lazy but it seemed to work with no harm to the cars! :D

If I was in a longer delay, then yes, it might be worth popping it in N but traffic lights I think you'll be fine. :thumbsup:

there is nothing worse at nighttime then sitting behind a driver at lights with his foot on the brake pedal for 5 minutes :censor:

Not got an auto, but when I had one (Nissan 200SX Turbo .. Brmmmmm :driving: B) ), I used to pretty much use the same principle as when driving a manual .... If stationary for any significant length of time, pop it into N (or even P if you knew stationary for quite a while in the same way you wouldn't want to keep the clutch down.

No extra effort and good opportunity to exercise the left arm :thumbsup:

what about average economy for a 2.0 Automatic ?

it has 1200 KM now , still not really exceeding 35000 RPM, top speed 130km. How long should i keep it up?

Economy is 12.1 l/100km i have reset the "thingie" :) once

I'm getting 28mpg from mine on mainly short runs.

I always put the box into neutral at traffic lights - it's so easy to pull on the handbrake and pop the stick into neutral in one action. As Hoovie says, think of the driver behind.

I don't understand why you would want to move the car in neutral then put it into D?

In the UK allowing the car to move in neutral is illegal (because it is considered dangerous).

As for "running in" the engine this article may be helpful.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=44

Enjoy your motoring.

there is nothing worse at nighttime then sitting behind a driver at lights with his foot on the brake pedal for 5 minutes :censor:

Amen to that. Any longer than 30 secs and I hit the high beams, they soon get the message, especially if I'm in the Hilux with 5" of lift! :lol:

does changing from N to D while the car is moving hurt the car?

Doesn't hurt at all. :)

I don't understand why you would want to move the car in neutral then put it into D?

In the UK allowing the car to move in neutral is illegal (because it is considered dangerous).

Did a bit of investigation on this a little while ago, plus my own tests.

Many people think it save fuel to allow the car to coast (i.e. out of gear in manual, in "N" in automatic).

Actual fact, in the RAV4 at least, and probably in most modern decent cars, when the car is coasting, you are using the same amount of fuel as you do when you just sit there idling (using about 1 litre an hour).

If you leave your car in gear and have your foot off the accelerator, the engine is using ZERO fuel.

So stay in gear and you will drive SAFER, stay legal AND save more fuel! :thumbsup:

and when should i start to see the actual fuel economy of the car? it was 14l/100km the first few days, 12l/100 km at the moment, it should go down more, yes?

Send a pm to bitman.

He has two auto's and plenty of experience.

Regards

does changing from N to D while the car is moving hurt the car?

I am no expert but have had auto cars for well over 20 years.

When on the move I feel it is bad practise to move the selector from D to N or N to D. The snatch on the transmission is not a good thing.

When moving stay in D and when stationary move into N when stopped for more than 30 seconds or so.

Good luck and enjoy your RAV :)

and when should i start to see the actual fuel economy of the car? it was 14l/100km the first few days, 12l/100 km at the moment, it should go down more, yes?

to the top :)

Climb every mountain! :lol:

Come on sing'a'long :D

"Climb every mountain,

Search high and low,

Follow every highway,

Every path you know.

Climb every mountain,

Ford every stream,

Follow every rainbow,

'Till you find your dream.

A dream that will need

All the love you can give,

Every day of your life

For as long as you live.

Climb every mountain,

Ford every stream,

Follow every rainbow,

Till you find your dream

A dream that will need

All the love you can give,

Every day of your life,

For as long as you live.

Climb every mountain,

Ford every stream,

Follow every rainbow,

Till you find your dream."

yeah, just look at my signature and you will see live MPG details. both boxes are auto.

• 1 month later...

I've got some additional questions regarding this.

If the car is stationary in neutral, and my foot is off the brakes, do I have to press the brake when switch to Drive? Or does it wear on the transmission more if I just switch to D without braking?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links