Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

G6 Corolla Speedometer Conversion Kmh->mph

udoka

How can I display mph on my 1999 corolla G6, which shows kmh? Is there an overlay and where would I get it from? I need to register a German import car in the UK.

Thanks

How can I display mph on my 1999 corolla G6, which shows kmh? Is there an overlay and where would I get it from? I need to register a German import car in the UK.

Thanks

How about making the whole of UK going metric instead? It's the only way to go, considering that the rest of the world (except the USA) has done it already.

Seriously, a friend of mine had a speedometer that was showing way to little, so he used a white marker to write the "conversion" on the screen covering the gauges. He just wrote a table that showed the most common speeds... it could be a way to do it. Doesn't look very professional, but it works. You shouldn't write directly on the screen, but rather get a sticker or something to write on. :rolleyes:

But of course, I don't know anything about the legality about this since I don't know the regulations for registration in the UK...

unfortunately you need to have mph on the clocks to pass an MoT. plus what's wrong with good old imperial, i use both.

plus what's wrong with good old imperial

Well, to start, its not "conversion friendly". you cant fit 100 foot on a yard, or 1000 yards on a mile... as for metric, there's 100 cm on a meter, and 1000 m on a km.

Then, it's not commonly used for scientific purposes.

The rest of Europe use use metric exclusive.

If you didn't notice, I'm Norwegian, so please excuse my imperial ignorance :rolleyes:

If you didn't notice, I'm Norwegian, so please excuse my imperial ignorance :rolleyes:

:lol:

that's ok, it is a strange system.

And the US uses it more than the UK, and also in different ways. i.e. a person's mass is given in 'Stone' here(14 pounds to the stone), the US uses pounds but are generally unaware of the Stone despite it being an imperial measurement. Also the sciences are often taught in imperial in the US, not in the UK.

Weird, eh?

I think a big reason for the UK not adopting the kilometre for motoring use(although car speedos have both displayed) is purely practical; the cost of changing all the distance/speed signs would be astronomical. Our economy is tanking as it is! (Our politicians are not far-sighted enough to make a Sovereign wealth fund from North Sea oil :angry: unlike yours!)

Thanks, everyone.

Will try the sticker option hoping I can get away with it. Got MOT last month so the rest might work as well ;-)

Thanks, everyone.

Will try the sticker option hoping I can get away with it. Got MOT last month so the rest might work as well ;-)

you might simply be able to get a dash from a scrappie too-should be plenty about.

you might simply be able to get a dash from a scrappie too-should be plenty about.

the only problem with that is the g6 and g6r have a red dash instead of the regular green and are like hen's teeth at a scrappies. if you do get a dash from a scrappies make sure it's a 1.3 dash as the redline's are different to the 1.6 redlines (slightly earlier on the 1.3)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links