Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 D4d Clutch Problem, Advice Needed!

street_moto

First of all a big hello, my first post, unfortunately requiring some advice.

Bought a 2002 model Rav4 D4D from a friend of the family, plenty of history and has been great for the six weeks I've owned it.

It has 101,000 miles on the clock.

Today we set off for a weeks holiday with the caravan, all was fine until on the motorway and the clutch started slipping, I decided to pull off at the next junction and head back home, before we had chance to do this, the engine management light came on and the car went into a sort of limp mode.

Pulled over to the hard shoulder and put on hazards, switched off ignition and then restarted the car, it seemed now to be in normal running mode, however I didn't fancy pulling back on to the motorway with a dodgy clutch. Recovery was called and we got out of the way on the embankment. 45 minutes later recovery turned up, car wouldn't start as Battery was flat.

Upon arrival at home the recovery guy suggested bump starting the car down the ramp in reverse, car started and managed to maneuver the caravan onto the drive with it, however the brake warning symbol was staying on.

Obviously I need to get the clutch done and will sort that out Monday and will take a look at the Battery and replace if necessary.

Is the brake and clutch fluid fed from the same reservoir?

Had a look in the drivers manual and it doesn't mention how to top up brake fluid level, I can see where it is in the engine bay, the level is sitting just at the bottom of the neck, there seems to be only one level marker rather than a high and low, could this be why the brake warning light is staying on, connected to clutch fault?

Having a look through the history of the car, at 50k the previous owner had work done on the clutch to a value of £1149!

Including clutch cover £93, clutch release bearing £23, clutch plate £98 and ring gear @ £686 ( is this the same as the DMF ?)

As stated that was at 50k and now 50k later and less than three years should it require doing again?

Sorry to go on, but like to state all facts.

Any views opinions or answers greatly appreciated, and if anyone can recommend a garage in Wirral that'd be cool too!

Regards Dave

Welcome to the club and sorry to hear your news.

Make sure the Battery is OK and charged before you start fault finding as it can throw up all sorts of strange faults.

The brake and clutch are fed from the same reservoir. The hand brake switch is also on the same light so make sure that is fully released.

If the engine went to limp mode it will have stored a fault code so read that after charging the Battery.

You could have more than one fault here so you need to do the above first.

On the clutch thing - 60k miles is ok for a clutch - it just depends on how the car has been driven. A clutch abused, so to speak, like what I do with mine on sprints, will last longer than my fathers where he slips the clutch with the engine revving....and reversing with a caravan can play merry hell with the clutch depending on the caravan weight and whether you are reversing up a hill etc etc

Thanks guys, so this "ring gear" that was referred to in the original clutch replacement, was that the same as the DMF?

Where is the level of fluid in the brake/clutch reservoir supposed to be sitting?

Regards Dave

The ring gear is part of the flywheel so I guess that is what they are referring to although it is a little bit strange terminology.

There is a line on the side of the reservoir showing low and full. As long as it is between the two lines don't fill it any further.

Regards

Again thanks chaps!

Story now is, Battery fully charged and back in, car started first time and all warning lights out!

Took her for a spin, remaining close to home and everything fine!

Now would the clutch slipping cause the engine management light to come on and the car to go into "limp" mode?

The car has only previously been used to tow a light trailer seldomly before I purchased it.

Yesterday was the first time I used it for towing, I'm sure it should be capable of towing a 1300kg caravan and four passengers?

My concern obviously is that it's not up to towing it and a new clutch will make no difference?

What do others tow with theirs? Any problems?

Regards Dave.

Dave

If the engine entered "safe mode" there will be a code stored and you need to know what it is. There are several reasons for it going into safe mode. One that would seem to make sense is the speed sensor going out of range. The vehicle speed is proportional to engine speed in a given gear but it won't match if the engine ECU detects high revs so could cause the described problem. There are cheap hand held (£30 delivered) diagnostic code readers or most local garages can do it. Get the code and then we can see what it is telling us.

Thanks Anchorman, will be booking it in for the replacement clutch and I'll get them to look at the fault codes then. Had a look at a towing website, put in make and model of caravan and car and the outcome was that it was a perfect match and should be an excellent towcar for the outfit.

I'm pretty sure what your describing about the car going into safe mode is correct and that the clutch only showed up a problem once it was towing the extra weight.

Once again thanks and hopefully further posts will be on a more upbeat note!

Regards Dave

The car has only previously been used to tow a light trailer seldomly before I purchased it.

Yesterday was the first time I used it for towing, I'm sure it should be capable of towing a 1300kg caravan and four passengers?

My concern obviously is that it's not up to towing it and a new clutch will make no difference?

What do others tow with theirs? Any problems?

Regards Dave.

Dunno the kerbweight of your 4.2 but would have thought 1300kg would be well under and therefore a safe tow. The 02 D4D was towcar of the year in it's class so is well capable.

I've got a 4.3 D4D which is listed at 1640kg kerbweight and tow a 1500kg van , done around 2,000 towing miles this year with no problems/concerns at all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links