Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav Brakes

misshelle

Hi All

Sorry, I'm back with another of my girlie 'I don't have a clue about cars' questions.......... :unsure:

I need to take the RAV to have to brakes done - warning light is on more than off and there is a not too pleasant noise if I have to brake hard. Anyway, my question is - how much roughly, should I be paying to have this done?

I haven't lived here too long and am yet to find a garage that I trust, it is both pads and disks that need replacing - not too sure about the back shoes and drum!

Any advice would be greatly received!

Thanks in advance :D

Michelle

OK Michelle

Its a simple job which should take less than an hour for a basic DIYer - minutes for a garage mechanic who knows what he's doing or seconds for a garage mechanic who knows what she is doing!

Sounds like the front pads have gone down to metal in which case the discs may need replaced. The discs can be skimmed - the minimum thickness required is cast into the inside surface of the disc. If the disc is scored, then it would fail the MOT.

A pair of discs (you can only buy them in pairs) will be around £160 but shop around for prices - ask Parts-King for his price and they might also be available from other car part suppliers. The pads will be about £60 and ditto the above re buying them.

The brake fluid level will be low just now if the pads are that worn, and once new pads are done then level should be checked.

Some 90% of the braking is done by the front brakes...especially with the RAVs short wheelbase. I'd be surprised if the rear shoes need done - is the handbrake working OK?

If you find a garage, tell them that you want to be given the old pads and discs. With the price of scrap steel at £150 a ton you could sell them for a couple of quid!! And you can check that they did get replaced! If you leave the purchase to the garage they might charge you full whack for the bits (might? :lol: ).

In the meantime, don't be using the car unless really necessary - if the pads are that bad then its not roadworthy and could lead to an accident. If you have a KWIKFit or similar close who will check the car free, then it might be worth doing just to check it is the pads/discs...but get parts prices first. The toyota pads are good for day to day use - the best as has been argued. The discs are just discs and are the same from anywhere really. I've tried EBS and rotordiscs and although they are nice looking, they don't last any longer!

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a shop around tomorrow. I think the back are fine & the handbrake works perfectly.

Come to think of it the brake fluid is low again after being topped up a few weeks ago so will keep an eye on that too!!

I'll let you know how I get on :D

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a shop around tomorrow. I think the back are fine & the handbrake works perfectly.

Come to think of it the brake fluid is low again after being topped up a few weeks ago so will keep an eye on that too!!

I'll let you know how I get on :D

When new pads are fitted, then it forces the brake fluid back into the reservoir as th 'slack' has been removed by installing new pads. But if the fluid is dropping despite a fill up, then there might be a leak...which could be anywhere. I'd try getting somewhere to check the brake system - for worn discs/pads and for any leaks. I've never had any problem with the RAV losing fluid, but brakes pipes corrode.

Ye - keep your eye on the brake fluid level daily just in case.

All done - managed to get a friend to do the job so that cut the cost down nicely and the disks didn't need replacing :D !!

The pads however were very low (see pic below!) one thing that does worry me is the fact the MOT was done in June last year and has done 1500 miles since & this wasn't even an advisory note!! makes me wonder what else they missed :eek:

gallery_67155_710_28193.jpg

Michelle

The brakes are not inspected properly on an MOT, only a quick visual glance. If the brakes work and give the correct reading/balance on the brake tester, they have passed! As it says on your MOT, this certificate does not prove a car to be roadworthy :eek: It is quite possible you car can pass an MOT with the pads worn out but still working enough to pass the test

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links