Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Run Flat Woes

stuck in dubs

I've just joined this site.... I just had to post my experiences on run flat tyres. I've had a RAV4 T180 for around two and a half years and generally I've been pleased with the car that is except for the tyres!!!

When I boughty the RAV I was told by the dealer that when the run flats needed replacing they would replace the whole wheel and just charge me for the cost of the new tyre, they would carry the additional cost of the exchange. How wrong they were!

The first time I had the front tyres changed At 20K they did an exchange and charged me £100 a wheel, I thought fair enough thats not over the top ;) When it came to the back tyres they lasted to 30K but by that time the dealer had moved over to the new system of replacing the tyres. I bought the car from Arnold Clark in Aberdeen but can you believe it they don't have the necessary equipment in Aberdeen to change the tyres!! the nearest garage with the kit is 65 miles away!! You wouldn't want a puncture at a weekend. :angry:

When I did get the back tyres changed it cost £150 a tyre but I was warned before any work was done that if the run flat band or the valve was damaged that may cost another £200 per wheel. Luckily that was not the case, but still that was £300 for two tyres.

Anyway now I come to my main reason for this post, I just had the front two tyres replaced again at 45K....I can still hardly believe what it cost, £450 for two tyres only :o luckily no run flat band or valve was needed that could have pushed the cost over £850 :o :o It not a Range Rover I'm driving!!

The dealer (still 65 miles away) says he now has to charge a labour charge on top of the tyre cost due to the length of time it takes to change a run flat tyre and again there may be further costs to replace the run flat band if that has been used as a result of a puncture. So in other words you don't want to use a runflat tyre if you actually get a puncture.... so what is the point of it????? Surely Toyota need to look at this situation.

I am now seriously considering the next time I need tyres to get the garage to remove the run flat band and fit standard tyres, I can always carry a can of tyre weld in the car as i think they now do with the more basic models. Anyone got any similar experiences or recommendations to cut costs???????????????

welcome to the forum and I hope no-one notices your from Aberdeen!!! :lol:

Valid point as you will have read in posts this year!

I am now seriously considering the next time I need tyres to get the garage to remove the run flat band and fit standard tyres, I can always carry a can of tyre weld in the car as i think they now do with the more basic models. Anyone got any similar experiences or recommendations to cut costs???????????????

Welcome along :)

A quick search of the forum will reveal that you're not the first (and probably not the last!) person to be shocked by the cost of the tyres.

Member 'Bridgestone' did post a list of all the independent tyre fitters that will change the tyres for you, and one member has changed the wheels on their car to no run flats.

I have a letter from Toyota stating that owners do not have to pay for a new support ring if the dealer damages it whilst replacing a tyre.

Personally I'll be waiting for my warranty to run out, then I'll remove the support rings (Lexus RX 400h has the same size tyres ;) )

Hi Stuck in dubs and welcome to TOC.

Run Flats !!!!! Grrrrr.

If I had a T180, I reckon I would ignore the fact they had runflats and if I had a puncture not bother with reinstating the support ring on a replacement if it were damaged PRIOR to the dealer touching it.

The tyres themselves are not Run Flat Tyres and are standard construction (there are some good posts by Christa with links which help describe what is going on).

If the dealer damaged it, damn right the customer should not pay for his incompetence.

This whole BSR tyre system is a blight on what should be a Flagship model and I am surprised Toyota have seemingly not done anything to calm the situation at all :rolleyes:

Another member has provided me with a list of dealers and independants who are reputed to sell these things.

However, I have yet to hear from anyone who has managed to buy one from an independant OR what they were charged. I have always believed that this is a Toyota/Bridgestone cartel and am amazed that nobody has taken it to the Monopolies Commisison.

Local OFTs are not good enough to get a grip of this lot.

Meanwhile TGB continue to shaft owners for what is a fairly standard arrangement.

Thats gratitude!

I'd be worried having to change worn tyres at just 20k! The Yokohamas on my XT4 4.3 are just about to get replaced as they're down to between 2 and 3mm - that's just past 45k. The rear tyres are still around 4mm so I'll probably wait to change those until the next service. I've been quoted just under £130 per tyre, fitted, so Dubs' prices don't look too bad - though I'd still worry about the short life.

I've been quoted around £80 fitted for a Bridgestone to match my spare. Not ready yet though at 16k.

Steve I had t replace my nearside front Yok at 10k because of nail damage, and the offside front Yok, at the 20 k service. Should be worried then; as reported in a separate thread I have an anoying whisling noise coming through the drivers window. My car was a demonstrator, do you think it could have been in a knock !!!

I've been quoted around £80 fitted for a Bridgestone to match my spare. Not ready yet though at 16k.

Steve I had t replace my nearside front Yok at 10k because of nail damage, and the offside front Yok, at the 20 k service. Should be worried then; as reported in a separate thread I have an anoying whisling noise coming through the drivers window. My car was a demonstrator, do you think it could have been in a knock !!!

The whistling noise I think your find is the wing mirror housing. ;) ;) ..Look in the pinned items at the top of the RAV section CLICK HERE, your find Anchorman's tutorial and pictures on how to rectify this.....

It would be interesting to see what tyre life other users get. When I first got my 4.3 I thought the tyres were wearing fast and would be lucky to get past 20k - but the wear rate slowed and, as I've said, 45/50k is achievable. A lot depends on how you drive, of course, and I rarely welly my car around bends - that's not to say I crawl along, but I like to get an average of 42-25mpg.

My previous Freelander did 48k on its original Wranglers; the replacement Michelins did almost 60k on the front and the rears are still going at 70k (my daughter now runs it and it's up to 120k). My wife's previous car was a Grand Vitara and that did 50k on its original Bridgestones - it was sold at 70k so I've no idea how the replacements (also Bridgestone) have fared.

I replaced my OEM Bridgestones on my RAV4.2 VVT-i at 31,000 - but TBH they could have gone on for another 5,000 pretty easily and stayed within the legal limit, but I don't like tyres that close to the limit come the Wintertime

I replaced my OEM Bridgestones on my RAV4.2 VVT-i at 31,000 - but TBH they could have gone on for another 5,000 pretty easily and stayed within the legal limit, but I don't like tyres that close to the limit come the Wintertime

So guys, my 20 k from a Yok front off would seem rather dismal. I drive carefully get around 50.m.p.g.. but the car was a demonstrator bought at 7k. Do you think the car has been abused whilst in the ownership of the dealer ???

one factor that is probably relevent is that for the majority of the time, for your RAV4.3, all your power is going throught the front wheels, so I would expect the fronts would wear early and the rears last much longer?

on the RAV4.2, it is permanent 4WD and the tyre wear has been much more even (still weighted to the front a bit, mind)

the tyres on my old Austin Ambassador lasted 10,000 miles for each set

one factor that is probably relevent is that for the majority of the time, for your RAV4.3, all your power is going throught the front wheels, so I would expect the fronts would wear early and the rears last much longer?

on the RAV4.2, it is permanent 4WD and the tyre wear has been much more even (still weighted to the front a bit, mind)

the tyres on my old Austin Ambassador lasted 10,000 miles for each set

Very intelligent response Hoovie, many thnx

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links