Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Protecting My Rav

Hi

I’m new here, having (after a bad experience with a Suzuki) just bought an immaculate 2002 Rav4.

It’s unbelievably immaculate. Its one previous owner has avoided ANY stretches at all on bumpers, etc - the car is in almost showroom condition. I’m aiming to keep it that way, and since buying the car, I have been investigating ways to protect the back especially.

I’ve seen lots of RAV4s with what appear to be unused towbars at the back; the towball (if that’s the right term) sticks out further than the wheel; so I’m assuming that they are fitted to protect the back of the car. I’ve also been looking at having parking sensors fitted, but I’m told by “experts” that the RAV4 doesn’t like sensors, largely because of the offset licence plate and the overhanging wheel, which interfere and make the sensors unreliable. A towbar , apparently, also does the same thing.

I’ve also seen some chrome bars advertised on the web, which I think may jut out further than the wheel and which, because they are practically the full width of the car, provide some protection to the bumper. They fit under the bumper.

As to the front, I’m tempted by a bull bar, but believe them to be very damaging to pedestrians in the event of an accident.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these solutions, or have any advice?

SG

Welcome to the club

I personally don't like bull bars - I think they spoil the look. There is a front gaurd which you will see fitted by some of the other guys here and they look good. There is some legislation about the safety of bars but I don't want running over by any car - with or without a bull bar so I shall do my best to avoid using legislation and do gooders to litigate against some poor person I was careless enough to walk in front of.

Whoever told you that rear sensors are not suitable for a RAV is full of sh*! Our parts man Kingo can have them delivered at a discounted rate and we can provide you with the fitting instructions. He can also supply a genuine front gaurd.

No doubt somebody will oblige with a photo.

Regards

Hi Norfolk Rav :)

Welcome to the Forum :thumbsup:

I have a detachable towbar on my RAV4 and I will admit I have put the bar on occasionally as a 'parking deterrent' when parking up some places, but I wouldn't say in general terms people fit them for this reason as it would be a pricey solution. Some of the bars for the RAV4 are fixed so will always be present.

The Chrome rear bar or step do not stick out futher then the wheel - and in fact, looking out the window at my RAV4, the towbar end is only very slightly proud of the spare wheel as well

Anchorman is spot on - as always - with the rear sensors (Not got them myself - I went for a camera instead).

Re the Toyota front guard - called "Nudge Bar" officially I think - I would say it a) looks good and b ) does protect the front of the car in a pedestrian-friendly way. Here is the front of my RAV with the guard fitted.

gallery_29315_648_101075.jpg

and this pic shows how much a Towbar will extend out the back of the car

SideBall.jpg

Hi

Its my daughter that has the rav 4 and as soon as she picked it up she wanted bars and we found some on eBay that fit under the front bumper and if you push on them (hard as if it hit something) they go towards the car which takes any impact and also protects the car), therefore not making it any different from the front of the car without the bars.

She also has the removable towbar, it is a must as if a permenant one is fitted you keep banging your shins on it when opening the back door!!! :blink:

Gina

Hi

I’m new here, having (after a bad experience with a Suzuki) just bought an immaculate 2002 Rav4.

It’s unbelievably immaculate. Its one previous owner has avoided ANY stretches at all on bumpers, etc - the car is in almost showroom condition. I’m aiming to keep it that way, and since buying the car, I have been investigating ways to protect the back especially.

I’ve seen lots of RAV4s with what appear to be unused towbars at the back; the towball (if that’s the right term) sticks out further than the wheel; so I’m assuming that they are fitted to protect the back of the car. I’ve also been looking at having parking sensors fitted, but I’m told by “experts” that the RAV4 doesn’t like sensors, largely because of the offset licence plate and the overhanging wheel, which interfere and make the sensors unreliable. A towbar , apparently, also does the same thing.

I’ve also seen some chrome bars advertised on the web, which I think may jut out further than the wheel and which, because they are practically the full width of the car, provide some protection to the bumper. They fit under the bumper.

As to the front, I’m tempted by a bull bar, but believe them to be very damaging to pedestrians in the event of an accident.

Does anyone have any experience of any of these solutions, or have any advice?

SG

She also has the removable towbar, it is a must as if a permenant one is fitted you keep banging your shins on it when opening the back door!!! :blink:

Gina

Agree 100%

Yeowww :crybaby:

Gina

Agree 100%

Yeowww :crybaby:

In these days now getting colder :wacko: :wacko: I tend to re-fit my tow bar... As best part of my journey to work is down country lanes....& M25... drivers behind stay a little bit further away, knowing what damage they could do......If they stray to near to the rear, a quick blip of the throttle creates a nice smoke screen for them the breath in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi and welcome to TOC, something a bit different from the Toyota ones (there are a lot of aftermarket ones available)

See link -

http://www.zontarh.co.uk/epages/es108883.s...Products/411610

Edit, just noticed yours is a 4.2 -

http://www.zontarh.co.uk/epages/es108883.s...22Rav4%20-06%22

Greetings

Like Hoovie, my better half has the push bar on her 4.2

Rav42_2.jpg

and a rear step

Rav42_1.jpg

and I am in the process of fitting the parking sensors (thanks to Anchorman and Kingo)

I have just painted the sensors and will be fitting them this weekend, subject to the weather

Good luck with the Rav4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links