Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Anyone Fitted A Double-din From Pioneer Or Kenwood?

jonnyspin

I agree with the first sentence.

I didn't know about the 2nd point, but it makes good sense.

I have a permanent feed as well as an ignition feed, and I have assumed that they are the right way round as the unit comes on after I turn the ignition on, but worth a double-check I think. IIRC, I had to swap the +12V B and +12V IGN on the Parrot unit I installed a couple of years ago - maybe I need to do the same thing on the Kenwood :g:

I go get the radio stations and DVD position saved, etc, but that may be in NVRAM nowadays anyway rather then some volatile memory.

I'll see if there are any settings in the manual about this thing in general :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Went into London in the RAV on Friday and saw some good extra traffic info displayed on the Kenwood that living in Devon I don't get to see (as we don't get traffic in Devon :D )

You get detailed Traffic info for your route shown, and warnings in Amber or Red, depending of the level of traffic.

Sorry for pic quality - from Cameraphone and we were moving at time (Mrs H took pics)

kenwood-TI1.jpg

kenwood-TI2.jpg

What is handy is that this requires no special hardware or subscriptions, but uses the standard (free) Traffic info sent via FM radio

Well all that clump of symbols by the M4 and M25 by Heathrow... I was sat in that lot....had too detour via Rickmansworth and back of Watford.....to pick up the M25 again...Left Bracknell @3:50 got home in Essex @7:30 :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

Just checked .... that pic was taken about 13:45 on Friday afternoon and we had just joined M25 from M3.

Think I got to my hotel in Islington about 16:45!

do you mean to mute the microphone when on call? or do you want to mute the speaker?

let me know so i can test this.

do you mean to mute the microphone when on call? or do you want to mute the speaker?

let me know so i can test this.

I want to be able to mute the mic when on a call, but could not find an option to do so :g:

I guess if it is not in the units s/w, it could be possible to have the mic going through a switch and mechanically making and breaking the link but not really ideal that way :(

I went with a Kenwood 5220 with the external add on BT200 bluetooth module. Most of the external wiring/USB/BT is routed in the direction of the glovebox. I havent finalised the position of the GPS receiver yet - currently it is in the corner of the dash, with the Tax disc and Wiper Blades hiding it. The wiring is tucked under the dash. The microphone is behind the steering wheel but I may experiment with placement maybe at the top of the driver side A-post trim.

I love how well the bluetooth integrates so well with the phone. Receives txt messages and send them back via a qwerty keyboard on the touchscreen was more than I expected of the bluetooth. The only thing that threw me was having to select the contact before composing the message - A Previously viewed contacts was sent a test message!

Replaced the stock Speakers, added a pioneer subwoofer and sound deadened the car. The results sound sweet, although the extra 50Kilos of damplifier cant be too good for the mpg!

Just checked .... that pic was taken about 13:45 on Friday afternoon and we had just joined M25 from M3.

there is an TMC update. just connect your wireless internet laptop to that usb cable you installed when installing the unit and run Garmin WebUpdater. B)

did this yesterday.

• 1 month later...

there is an TMC update. just connect your wireless internet laptop to that usb cable you installed when installing the unit and run Garmin WebUpdater. B)

did this yesterday.

Hello again.

Unless I win the lotto and buy a Lexus 400h or new subaru outback diesel this week end :-) I should be back on this project.

My device that I 'won' on eBay for the other car never turned up, so now I've had my paypal money returned, I want a project.

I'm concerned about what I've read about taking ages to find a signal. I'm still not decided between AVIC D3 and Ken 5220. Which is best for gettin a signal and navigating? Can both play CDs while navigating? Both seem to be around £500. Any other big differences?

thx

On the DNX 5220:

I find the GPS lock on is usually there by the time the unit has booted up. The car is parked on the street. The only time I have had to wait is when emerging from an underground carpark but thats to be expected. Switch on the Differential GPS option and its accurate to about 3 feet or so. Yes you can play your music whilst navigating. You can show/hide a control panel for the music when in navigation mode. I love the traffic master thing - bypassing clogged up major routes really is useful. My personal preferences for a sat nav system are tomtom and garmin. seeing as tomtom doesnt seem to have partnered with any headunit I can get hold of, the garmin choice was a no brainer really. Effective and proven. You can keep a log of where your car has been - after a while, you can see a breadcrumb overlay of where you have been in the country - quite amazing and a good record of where its been driven!

Its not without some quirks, but after you encounter them, you learn to live with them - ones Ive found, which have only ever happenned once are:

Hands free calling - You hear nothing on the speaker, but the other person can hear you

Switching off HU doesnt work - reset button time!

Touch panel doesnt respond/lockup - reset button time!

Routing decides it is a good thing to take you off the main A road and into a village! Although this might just be down to accuracy of the map.

not sure what firmware versions you are running on your deck but the 5220 in my missus vehicle doesn't have any of your problems. and believe me women do talk a lot!

make sure you have the phone audio settings correct since you can put the phone on left, right or both front Speakers.

quick Q.... is this the lead that I need to connect one of these CD/nav things to my Rav? : clicky

sorted. Ordered a dnx5220 and managed to get ISO lead thrown in!

All fitted in an afternoon - disappointingly easy, in fact.

That is:

dnx5220

steering remote adapter from Connects2 (works perfectly)

video out cabling for rear seats (no screens yet)

Still to do:

ipod adapter (ip300v in post still)

connect handbrake cable

Comments:

sat nav works instantly

can't get the POI speedcamera updater working - help! when I burn a CD and then put it in the unit, it says disc error!!!!

my Sony bluetooth still works perfectly with this install, cutting volume on a call etc - so I won't be bothering with a bt200

I need to read the manual!!!

the unit doesn't seem to dim with the headlamps???

The TMC doesn't seem to work??

so, few things to iron out, but I'm getting there.

By using the steering remote adapter, I don't need the Autoleads ISO connector, so I now have one of these for sale...

I'm putting my dension ice-link on eBay now as this is not needed.

I also have a gps ariel for sale!

thanks for all your help so far.... any ideas on the issues I still have? particularly the speed camera loading?

dnx5220

...my Sony bluetooth still works perfectly with this install, cutting volume on a call etc - so I won't be bothering with a bt200

By using the steering remote adapter, I don't need the Autoleads ISO connector, so I now have one of these for sale...

Ooh, thanks for that tip. I was considering ordering both.

I may well get the 5220BT, as its one of the few available out here, but I have the OEM toyota bluetooth - sounds like it might work just as well? (Or will I have problems with the connector leads, as mine is from steering controls straight to OEM ICE?)

The TMC should work after you get a subscription code. For whatever reason, I had problems with the website so ended up talking to someone there who emailed me the code.

The unit should respond to your headlights, see page 44 of the manual. similarly, the satnav can also respond to the lights.

The disc you have burned - check you have closed the session. Use some burner software and close the session after burning. ie, dont you the w anky burner that comes built into XP.

BTW, anyone know if they will release 2009 maps for europe? Seems like the 5220/BT is the only one not being updated.

All fitted in an afternoon - disappointingly easy, in fact.

That is:

dnx5220

video out cabling for rear seats (no screens yet)

Still to do:

ipod adapter (ip300v in post still)

connect handbrake cable

Comments:

sat nav works instantly

can't get the POI speedcamera updater working - help! when I burn a CD and then put it in the unit, it says disc error!!!!

my Sony bluetooth still works perfectly with this install, cutting volume on a call etc - so I won't be bothering with a bt200

I need to read the manual!!!

the unit doesn't seem to dim with the headlamps???

The TMC doesn't seem to work??

so, few things to iron out, but I'm getting there.

I'm putting my dension ice-link on ebay now as this is not needed.

I also have a gps ariel for sale!

thanks for all your help so far.... any ideas on the issues I still have? particularly the speed camera loading?

update:

# TMC seems to cost $60!!! I found a code generator on warez, but the codes don't seem to make any difference. I can't believe that I have to pay another $60 for this feature that is splashed all over the Kenwood box and website!!

# Speed camera POI is now loaded, but.... I have only loaded UK. It seems that if I load the EU ones, I loose the UK data! Is this right?....and, if the display is on radio, it bongs for cameras, but the information in the blue box at the bottom of the screen only shows upcoming roads????

# POI updates can be done using a CDRW... but, you have to have the Garmin folder on the disc, not just the contents (this is where I was goin wrong)

# Software versions on my unit seem to be a couple of points behind the Kenwood website support pages - how do I update the software? and maps (when the 2009 ones are available)

I noticed that on the kenwood website, there is an update for the 5220/BT. Also available to purchase is the 2009 Update for the maps.

jonnyspin - TMC doesnt cost you any more money! Ring them up and speak to a human if you dont trust the website. I talked to one of their bods who replyed later in the day by email with the appropriate 25 char code. I think I called garmin first, but they put me through to kenwood. All they need is the 10 digit code

More:

thanks tropical_z: I've now been mailed my tmc code by Garmin - off to try it later: there should be plenty of praffic problems in the snow today!

I phoned Kenwood about the 2009 map update as I have 2008 maps. they said that there are very few differences - just some former easern block countries added and not much else. They said that they are still shipping with 2008 maps and would not recommend updating any more frequently than 1 or two yearly.

I am experimenting with putting uk and eu scameras on to one POI load. The only potential problem is the mph vs kph... so I'm keeping a eu POI on cd in the car in case.

s/w is now updated to 2.6 - easy, via cdrw, same way as poi updating (although it wipes your pois!)

--- now, I'm tempted to get 1 or 2 rear screens! maybe one to mount on the back of the arm-rest? any ideas :-)

More:

thanks tropical_z: I've now been mailed my tmc code by Garmin - off to try it later: there should be plenty of praffic problems in the snow today!

I phoned Kenwood about the 2009 map update as I have 2008 maps. they said that there are very few differences - just some former easern block countries added and not much else. They said that they are still shipping with 2008 maps and would not recommend updating any more frequently than 1 or two yearly.

I am experimenting with putting uk and eu scameras on to one POI load. The only potential problem is the mph vs kph... so I'm keeping a eu POI on cd in the car in case.

s/w is now updated to 2.6 - easy, via cdrw, same way as poi updating (although it wipes your pois!)

--- now, I'm tempted to get 1 or 2 rear screens! maybe one to mount on the back of the arm-rest? any ideas :-)

I've seen a rear screen kit on eBay that looks like it will suit the RAV well.

Pair of Screens intergrated into headrests (that are also supplied), and the headrests look pretty similar to the shape and colour of the RAV ones. think they end up going for around £199?

Is there any point in buying Traffic Alerts for the Kenwood unit?

I have found the built-in RDS Traffic Data pretty good and it provides for automatic rerouting for severe delays as well.

Unless I have TMC enabled? (bought unit used)

for all original uk sold kenwood nav systems, kenwood has paid traffic master / garmin for the life time subscriptions...

re rear screens:

1. my kids have a dual 7" screen dvd player, and I've noticed it has an AV in function. I installed the av cable to the rear of the car when I put the stereo in, so I can connect the whole works together so they have the output from the kenwood on their screens.

2. I'm tempted to rip all of this appart and actually install their screens permanently into the Rav headrests - next project...hmmm.

• 11 months later...

I've just traded in my Rav4, but before that happened, I un-installed the Kenwood.

so, I have the following items if anyone would like to PM me about them:

• the fillets that fit either side of the Kenwood to give it an OEM feel (also fits other 'fisher-price' stereo equiped Toyotas I believe)
  • the connects2 cabling that allows the steering wheel remote to work with the Kenwood stereo (and also connects to the stereo loom easily)
  • the Kenwood dnx5220 complete with 6 month old newly replaced navigation board (underwarranty)
  • VIDEO ipod lead
  • rca lead for extending the DVD signal to the rear of the car

All are immaculate, and I have most of the boxes and instructions too.

My current thinking is to fit the Kenwood into my Boxster, but that will be a major challenge as I'll have to by a 6 channel amp and bypass the existing BOSE amp (not as great sound as you'd think).

So, either , I'll sell the Rav specific bits on eBay...

...or, I could sell all this stuff as a package, and fit it to someone else's Rav (as I am now quite familiar with how to fit having installed/removed it twice!)

Please let me know if you know anyone who may be interested by PM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links