Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Confessions And Scuffed Paintwork

Bodgit-fixit-run

OK it's confession time. :rolleyes:

When sorting out the DMF the car was set up on the drive. I and my son had been prating about and I jokingly aimed the Corolla at him, as one does with impudent oiks of 18 :P . Anyway. I didn't realize how close I was to the RAV and scuffed the rear wing with the Corolla wing mirror. Fortunately no dent just a scuff mark and son falling about laughing :lol: . A P*ssed off wife :angry: and a sense of amusement for myself. ;):rolleyes:

Obviously I'm going to sort out the offending mark but am not sure what to use. Should I go straight for the T cut or rub it down a little first? I'm concerned about going through the paint. I also have a couple of minor paint chips on the bonnet. Any thoughts on dealing with those would also be helpful.

Any similar confessions might be fun to hear. :D

no help from me but ya said other stories would be fun to hear.... got the car sprayed back in august... had it all of 3 days when my brand new spoiler came. couldnt wait til the following week for your man to fit it so i did it myself! very proud of myself until i noticed two huge gashes on the roof where the bolts from the old spoiler had scraped the paint up. i was not a happy puppy :(

Wife used RAV to go to work one Saturday morning... Came back in afternoon, saying she saw some panther like creature when reversing into parking space, forgot about the metal bollard behind .......................and hit it..not to fast but still put a crease in the rear bumper and clipped of the side mouldings...after my hissy fit at her and warnings of no one will find her body for weeks in the country side :unsure::rolleyes: I clipped the side moulding back on....

bfr

Try with autoglym colour restorer first before you go for the heavy stuff.

bfr

Try with autoglym colour restorer first before you go for the heavy stuff.

My neighbour, an 87 year old lady with only one eye that works ( no worries there, she sees far more with the one eye than most of us do with two ) reversed out of her drive in her Suzuki Alto, across the road and rubbed the rear bumper along the rear door of the wifes Pug 207. It looked awful!

Took it down to my local friendly bodyshop who was, as usual, mowed out with work. A lot of chin pulling and viewing the car from all angles ensued. "Can you bring it in first thing on Thursday?" he says. "How "First" thing?" I replied. "7 am would be ideal" was the answer.

Got there on Thursday and there was another round of looking and chin pulling. After a couple of minutes he goes away and comes back with a wet rag which he rubs on the offending area. Couple of minutes and all the marks seem to have disappeared! Now he starts with a clean rag with some sort of polish and a minute later stands up with the job complete. If you really know where to look in exactly the right light you can just about make out a minute dent.

"So what was on the rag I asked?" "Panel cleaner" he says "Just give us a fiver"

I bought some of this stuff from a local supplier and asked a chemist friend what he thought was in it. He reckoned that it is a weak acid in some solvent. Anyway it worked in this case. :)

I bet the one eyed old dear was drinking some of it before reversing her car.....

Was the Pug parked in her blind eye view.... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I bet the one eyed old dear was drinking some of it before reversing her car.....

Was the Pug parked in her blind eye view.... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

.................weeeeeell, she does have a perchant for red wine and sherry - but I've never caught her at it before 09.00hrs when theincident occurred! To be honest she only started driving again when she was about 75 when her husband became incapable ( of driving ). She was very concerned about doing so and took some lessons with a very experienced driving instructor that we know. He pronounced her perfectly capable of driving safely. The Pug was the only accident she has ever had and she was mortified! It might not be very PC, but I always consider her a game old bird! ;)

When sorting out the DMF the car was set up on the drive. I and my son had been prating about and I jokingly aimed the Corolla at him, as one does with impudent oiks of 18 :P . Anyway. I didn't realize how close I was to the RAV and scuffed the rear wing with the Corolla wing mirror. Fortunately no dent just a scuff mark and son falling about laughing :lol: . A P*ssed off wife :angry: and a sense of amusement for myself. ;) :rolleyes:

Obviously I'm going to sort out the offending mark but am not sure what to use. Should I go straight for the T cut or rub it down a little first? I'm concerned about going through the paint. I also have a couple of minor paint chips on the bonnet. Any thoughts on dealing with those would also be helpful.

What kind of maniacs have we got for members here!!

Bodgit drives into his heir for fun (hope you got a spare :P ), Molly scrapes her roof, Chatmans missues sees panthers in Essex and slams into Bollards to get away!

I have never, ever done ANYTHING like any of those :rolleyes:

except .......

When I was putting my rear seats back in the RAV4, I put the rear parcel shelf on the roof to get it out the way, carefully resting on the roof rails to avoid any marks ;)

Carefully put the seats in, closed the rear door and drove off. Heard this noise from the top and slowed the car...

Parcel shelf sides all the way forward, drops off the rails, along the sunroof, carries on and down the windscreen. And Toyota have fitted a lovely bit that sticks down right inthe middle of the underneath of the tray and scraped all along it starting halfway on sunroof :angry:

Muppet! :crybaby:

When sorting out the DMF the car was set up on the drive. I and my son had been prating about and I jokingly aimed the Corolla at him, as one does with impudent oiks of 18 :P . Anyway. I didn't realize how close I was to the RAV and scuffed the rear wing with the Corolla wing mirror. Fortunately no dent just a scuff mark and son falling about laughing :lol: . A P*ssed off wife :angry: and a sense of amusement for myself. ;) :rolleyes:

Bodgit drives into his heir for fun (hope you got a spare :P ), Molly scrapes her roof, Chatmans missues sees panthers in Essex and slams into Bollards to get away!

Hi Hoovie,

we all complain about Microsoft, BUT wouldn't it be fantastic if life had an "undo" button like Word or Excel. I'd have used it more than anyone else but I guess you would have been reaching for it in this instance.

Old colleague of mine bought one of the first Vauxhall Cavaliers. Great motor compared with all the previous Vauxhalls but it had an electric ariel which was pretty advanced stuff in those days. He opened the garage one morning, got in the car, started the engine and switched on the radio. When he reversed out of the garage the ariel had extended and it caught the edge of the up-and-over door. The door gave the roof a fair old crack and left a dent pretty well all across it. Main dealers said that it required a new body Shell! In the end he agreed with the insurance that they would fill and paint it then fit a vinyl roof to cover up the evidence!

except .......

When I was putting my rear seats back in the RAV4, I put the rear parcel shelf on the roof to get it out the way, carefully resting on the roof rails to avoid any marks ;)

Carefully put the seats in, closed the rear door and drove off. Heard this noise from the top and slowed the car...

Parcel shelf sides all the way forward, drops off the rails, along the sunroof, carries on and down the windscreen. And Toyota have fitted a lovely bit that sticks down right inthe middle of the underneath of the tray and scraped all along it starting halfway on sunroof :angry:

except .......

Hi Hoovie,

we all complain about Microsoft, BUT wouldn't it be fantastic if life had an "undo" button like Word or Excel. I'd have used it more than anyone else but I guess you would have been reaching for it in this instance.

Old colleague of mine bought one of the first Vauxhall Cavaliers. Great motor compared with all the previous Vauxhalls but it had an electric ariel which was pretty advanced stuff in those days. He opened the garage one morning, got in the car, started the engine and switched on the radio. When he reversed out of the garage the ariel had extended and it caught the edge of the up-and-over door. The door gave the roof a fair old crack and left a dent pretty well all across it. Main dealers said that it required a new body Shell! In the end he agreed with the insurance that they would fill and paint it then fit a vinyl roof to cover up the evidence!

Ouch! That reminded me a little about my Celica GT4 with electric ariel at the rear. Drove it out the garage, caught on the up&over, bent right back.

And we all now about Toyotas spare parts pricing! £300 or something for a new ariel :eek: bodged it together instead and just ended up with a lower - sorry, more streamlined ;) - ariel :lol:

BTW, I hope everyone did realise I was teasing about the maniacs comment :(

BTW, I hope everyone did realise I was teasing about the maniacs comment :(

And I was just thinking that I was quite proud of myself.

My ex brother in law in the 1970s had a Plymouth Barracuda which he was very proud of. He had spent a fortune on it doing restoration and stuff on it. His first wife found out where he lived and for some reason decided that she wanted revenge on him. The next time he saw it it was a pretty little cube shape as she had had it towed away and crushed.

:crybaby: Harsh or what? :crybaby:

IF I HAD TIME I COULD KEEP THIS TOPIC GOING FOR WEEKS, IN FACT IT WOULD BE EASIER TO LIST MY SUCCESSES THAN MY FAILURES :lol::lol:

Oh dear, I dont really want reminded of this one, bit since you brought it up I think I should claim the Dennis Norden

award here :toast:

see link -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...railway+station

Well I think you coped very well with this one.

Both my quarter bumbers have minor creases caused by a lost argument with a small trailer. managed to jackknife it in both directions in the same trip to the tip. I hate the damn things they have a mind of their own. The caravan is much easier to reverse. Can't be bothered to change them until I decide to change the car. Just out of interest though how much are they? Mine are the grey ones so won't need spraying. I think.

I was also the victim of a road rage incident on the M5 a few years ago. Don't remember much of it but have been told I was forced off the road by someone. I had a space-wagon at the time. It finished up 4 inches narrower and a perfect imprint of the central reservation from indicator to indicator down the driver's side. That was the third crunch in that car. 1st was wifey turning the radio up and forgot to steer the car. Ended up down a ditch. 2nd was me getting cut up by a van and two cars in front of him had an intimate moment. I had now stopping room and nor did he as a consequence. (Why don't people understand the need for stopping distances?). I had the choice. A tree of his rear end. I didn't choose the tree.

Oh dear, I dont really want reminded of this one, bit since you brought it up I think I should claim the Dennis Norden

award here :toast:

see link -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...railway+station

Well I think you coped very well with this one.

Both my quarter bumbers have minor creases caused by a lost argument with a small trailer. managed to jackknife it in both directions in the same trip to the tip. I hate the damn things they have a mind of their own. The caravan is much easier to reverse. Can't be bothered to change them until I decide to change the car. Just out of interest though how much are they? Mine are the grey ones so won't need spraying. I think.

From memory I think it was about £170 odd, that was painted, from Kingo (Parts_King) :thumbsup:

[

My ex brother in law in the 1970s had a Plymouth Barracuda which he was very proud of. He had spent a fortune on it doing restoration and stuff on it. His first wife found out where he lived and for some reason decided that she wanted revenge on him. The next time he saw it it was a pretty little cube shape as she had had it towed away and crushed.

so how is the car doing then...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[

so how is the car doing then...... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think it was remodeled to look like an OXO :thumbsup:

[

I think it was remodeled to look like an OXO :thumbsup:

It could have been the inspiration for this Bodgit (THE NISSAN CUBE) :lol:

Londonmotorshow016.jpg

I once borrowed my dads vauxhall frontera, and while maneuvering it, at a camp site, i accidently destroyed a small wooden fence... my reasons were...the bonnet was huge and i couldnt see over it, the turning circle is crap, the fence was to small and could not see it because of the bonnet, and the huge engine meant i couldnt feel it in the drive train.

all in all, 3 meters of wooden fence became fire wood, and a small dent/scrape to the front left bumper protector, which was made out of metal IIRC.

Matt

It could have been the inspiration for this Bodgit (THE NISSAN CUBE) :lol:

Londonmotorshow016.jpg

We all know that's your new TAXI local.... Just awaiting the BLACK Paint Job....

When i was a lorry driver i pulled into a yard with a 40ft trailer behind me, reversed into a gap between 2 other trailers and stopped with the front of my trailer level with the others, only problem was the other trailers were only 18ft long which meant i had gone straight thru a fence and 20ft of my trailer was blocking the main road :o Another time i parked a trailer, disconnected the lines, wound down the trailer legs, put the trailer brake on then pulled the handle that disconnects the tractor unit from the trailer, only i hadn't applied the handbrake on the tractor and had to watch £78000 worth of Scania carrear down a hill and come gently to a halt 6ft away from a glass gate house, which the security guard was vacating at a speed you wouldn't have thought a 67yr old was capable of :D

Now you know why i drive a Taxi, and believe me there are lots more calamaties i could bring to mind.. :oops:

When i was a lorry driver i pulled into a yard with a 40ft trailer behind me, reversed into a gap between 2 other trailers and stopped with the front of my trailer level with the others, only problem was the other trailers were only 18ft long which meant i had gone straight thru a fence and 20ft of my trailer was blocking the main road :o Another time i parked a trailer, disconnected the lines, wound down the trailer legs, put the trailer brake on then pulled the handle that disconnects the tractor unit from the trailer, only i hadn't applied the handbrake on the tractor and had to watch £78000 worth of Scania carrear down a hill and come gently to a halt 6ft away from a glass gate house, which the security guard was vacating at a speed you wouldn't have thought a 67yr old was capable of :D

Both of those should definitely should have been recorded on film! I'd have paid good money to watch them. :yes:

The week before the RAV arrived my Vitara was "hooked" by a 40 footer when it was parked at work. Moved it about 10ft before he realised what he had done. Amazingly strong though - the only damage was to the plastic rear bumper and its sheet metal support.

Now you know why i drive a Taxi, and believe me there are lots more calamaties i could bring to mind.. :oops:

wow remind me never to get into your taxi!!! :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links