Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locating Single Din Head Unit Between Ashtray & Aircon Controls In

yatesh

Hi All

I've stumbled upon this polish website:

http://www.extremecaraudio.pl/Zabudowy/corolla2.htm

Where the owner has installed a single din head unit between the ashtray and aircon controls, in front of the gear lever. This has really got me thinking about the following:

1. Would it be possible to get a single din headunit installed in that location WHILST retaining the original head unit (powered & in its place but not wired for sound), so that the fuel consumption display is retained?

2. If this is possible, would it mean butchering the current little storage compartment to accomodate the single din head unit, OR is that compartment easily removed/detached from the dashboard? I have had a look at man being's pics but its not easy to tell.

If this is possible, it would be great as you would be able to:

1. Retain the consumption display;

2. Get a MP3 single din unit which is capable of retaining the steering controls;

3. Pop the original storage space back and reconnect original head unit when it comes to selling your CTS.

I would really appreciate views (from people in the know) of how possible this approach would be

Thanks in advance for your replies ;)

Regards

Yatesh

1. Would it be possible to get a single din headunit installed in that location WHILST retaining the original head unit (powered & in its place but not wired for sound), so that the fuel consumption display is retained?

Should be no problem, since there is a separate 16 pin connector that provides fuel data and speed signal. I think the stereo display might work even if you disconnect the power and speaker plugs in the back of the original head unit... I'm not completely sure, because I haven't tried, but I can guess since this plug shows that power and ground as well as the necessary signals for fuel and speed are all located on this plug.

2. If this is possible, would it mean butchering the current little storage compartment to accomodate the single din head unit, OR is that compartment easily removed/detached from the dashboard? I have had a look at man being's pics but its not easy to tell.

I have the original in-dash CD-changer and to be able to install it, the compartment must be removed... with a saw. Shouldn't be to difficult as seen in this PDF

Unfortunately, this procedure is not reversible unless you replace the the whole frame.

If this is possible, it would be great as you would be able to:

1. Retain the consumption display;

2. Get a MP3 single din unit which is capable of retaining the steering controls;

3. Pop the original storage space back and reconnect original head unit when it comes to selling your CTS.

1. Shouldn't be any problem

2. There are several aftermarket manufacturers that provide steering wheel control retention kits. I've seen some from Pioneer and Kenwood, but I'm pretty sure there are more

3. As mentioned, it is not reversible unless you replace the whole frame.

I'm currently trying to remove my in-dash CD-changer, but I've not managed to find the part number for the frame that has to be replaced. I've also thought about just gluing the lid for the compartment in place, and maybe make some holes for USB and AUX connectors, which for me would be more useful than the compartment itself. I haven't decided what to do yet...

Cheers!

Hi St Thicket

Thanks for your reply, that has been most useful. I suppose if its not reversible, when it does come to resale, I will have to sell the car with the new headunit in place or install a cheaper one that does have option of adaptor for steering wheel controls. I'm not too bothered as I have no intention of selling the car in the next 2-3 years.

Your idea about glueing the compartment shut and making some holes for aux/usb connectors sounds cool. Good luck with that.

Cheers

Yatesh

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links