Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Discs

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi guys,

I've been looking for brakes for my early spec GTI-16 but I'd rather have the bigger discs and calipers of the late spec version :yes: . The problem is that I don't know whether or not the systems are interchangable and I don't want to buy the wrong thing for christmas! :unsure: If I can only put the early spec brakes on please tell me because I need to buy them soon.

Cheers,

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi guys,

I've been looking for brakes for my early spec GTI-16 but I'd rather have the bigger discs and calipers of the late spec version :yes: . The problem is that I don't know whether or not the systems are interchangable and I don't want to buy the wrong thing for christmas! :unsure: If I can only put the early spec brakes on please tell me because I need to buy them soon.

Cheers,

KPARRIS-JONES

If you have the early spec car you can upgrade to the later spec brakes. I have done this on my AE92. It was simply a case of changing over the calipers and disks. The only other thing is you will have to bend back the dust shield that the brake disk sits in front of.

Stick with what you have!

Why Toyota altered the brake discs for so - called improvement I have no idea ?????

To me the discs felt the same regardless of which 'GTi model I drove -

- in fact the discs in a lot of case's are no better than drums! - as we all know the discs on Toyota GTi's are a pain in the neck! ... ...but that is another story :lol: !

The brakes are much better from the late spec AE92 Gti.. They are bigger discs and calipers. I've had a few late spec.. Got to say they are superb! There are so many refinements to the late spec that i would reccomend buying as a matter of choice. My last Gti was an early spec TVIS jobber, i replaced discs and pads, and i gotta say. They weren't as good as i'm used to. I very nearly got round to hooking on late spec'ers.. Although, on both spec's the rear calipers aren't all that, and can cause problems. Best thing is to make sure the brake fluid is newish(old fluid is cak)!!!!

I'm not sure if you can just bolt up late spec calipers and discs to the earlier car.. Should be able to, as i think the fittings are the same. I'll have alook when i can!! :D

Thanks for the help guys,

I'm stilll going to go for the bigger late spec brakes seeing as I don't need to do too much to fit them. Really happy today cause I got my Heavy Duty Clutch delivered and am looking foward to fitting it. :yahoo:

I'm not sure if it's true, but apperently It's possible to fit the clutch without having to take the whole engine out. I've been told that you can just take a few mounts off and pivot the engine on one and there will be no need to have the whole thing out. :huh:

If this is true, please say because it would save some time and effort and the need for lots of space which is something that I most certainly don't have :unsure:

Thanks again,

KPARRIS-JONES

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links