Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 10 Year Service T Reg

GeorgeJoseph

Hello All,

How are you guys doing. My T Reg 1999 Petrol 1.6 SE avensis which I bought from the shady dealer in Southall last november has successfully completed a year,and done 5000 miles(now at 93000 miles)...I did change the tyres,cam belt,water pump etc... Of late, the car has some minor problems - when moving slighty (couple of inches in first gear from stationary) and pressing the brakes, the back wheels seem to lock and jerks the car a bit....the braking is not very bad when driving normally, but the final stop always seem to ***** the car.....this has never happened earlier,I also have noticed that the brake oil has reduced from the max ( I had topped it up earlier when changing the tyres,when I noticed that it had fallen below the max ). Does anyone know what problem this could be?

I also wanted to get the car serviced by Toyota for checking the airbags..is it expected to be replaced every 10 years or is it just a check/inspection?? is there any point in getting it checked....at all or should I just hand it over to my local garage for servicing? I am also thinking if I should sell it and buy a newer avensis or volkswagon passat or mondeo..since even if I did do some work on it..I wouldnt be changing the value of the car....(I think I might get somewhere around 800£) and there is atleast 800£ work pending on it(200£ for painting the boot,clutch change- could be anytime in 2009 - 250 £ and interior changes- 150£ and a 180£ license renewal this month end).....do you guys think it is worth doing all that?

let me know your comments...

Thanks,

George.

On the brakes, I'm no expert, but I'd say they need looking at by a garage, your rear drums might just need skimming and/or the cylinders replacing (I'm assuming the rears are drums on a T-Reg, can't remember when the disks came in). So add the cost of fixing the brakes and a new clutch to your plans and I'm starting to think it may be worth moving on.

Even at 9 years you shouldn't be having to invest loads (I did spend £300 on the air con last year so I'm in no position to talk though :huh: ). If there still remains lots of work to keep the engine and running gear in working order I personally would be thinking about another car (a step up to a 1.8 would be nice, I can't believe you manage with a 1.6). As for cosmetics, forget about it. A 10 year old car is expected to be a little rough around the edges and as long as the bodywork isn't rusting I'd not waste money tarting it up.

Hope this helps :P

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I gave the car for fixing up today. The mechanic told me it was the rear cylinders creating the issues and that the drums needed skimming. Cost 131£ to replace the rear cylinders including labor. They did bleed the brake fluid system and hopefully that should be the end of my fear of loosing my brakes !

Just as a query, which avensis is a good bet?...possibly after 2005...hopefully D4D..I plan to invest about 6000-7000£ on a second hand one. Also eyeing the volkswagon passat diesel automatic...

Any comments welcome... :)

Cheers,

G.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links