Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Headlight Bulbs

Big Kev

Just had a local friendly garage fit full set of replacement bulbs from Power bulbs Direct into my '55 Plate 2.2D4D.

(Main beam / dipped beam / side light set at about £45.00)

Can report difference well worth it, as can actually now drive in excess of 30mph on dipped lights without ruining under wear!!!!

Expect to pay approx same again for fitting, but difference well worth it, and job decreed "typically awkward" by mechanic who did it.

Regards and keep up good work,

Big Kev :eek:

What bulbs did you use?

Philips bulbs used :"Extreme Vision / Vision Plus" . Go on to Power bulbs web site and type in details of your car.....pimps.

What bulbs did you use?

Philips bulbs used :"Extreme Vision / Vision Plus" . Go on to Power bulbs web site and type in details of your car.....pimps.

Nice one and thanks for the information. I would welcome the chance of upping the output of the lights as they are a tad poor on the Avensis.

However, I wonder how these bulbs will cope with the ongoing problems plagued by the Avensis regarding the bulb holders melting/failing and all the blog threads regarding headlamp replacement? Say I get my 2004 model sorted out by Mr t, get a new set of headlamps (as it literally eats bulbs at the moment) and then i get a set of £30 bulbs as above....will they be ok?! Seeing as they chuck out a fair bit of output, will they produce MORE heat than regular ones? Will they melt the holders?....

Any ideas? Info? Anyone done this?!....

Thanks

Mike

What bulbs did you use?

Nice one and thanks for the information. I would welcome the chance of upping the output of the lights as they are a tad poor on the Avensis.

However, I wonder how these bulbs will cope with the ongoing problems plagued by the Avensis regarding the bulb holders melting/failing and all the blog threads regarding headlamp replacement? Say I get my 2004 model sorted out by Mr t, get a new set of headlamps (as it literally eats bulbs at the moment) and then i get a set of £30 bulbs as above....will they be ok?! Seeing as they chuck out a fair bit of output, will they produce MORE heat than regular ones? Will they melt the holders?....

Any ideas? Info? Anyone done this?!....

Thanks

Mike

Good point(s) well made, Mike. I may have been presumptuous that my Jan 06 Avensis had the headlight problem cured, and I will certainly monitor and report if they cause any problems. They are claimed to have some sort of UV FILTRATION, but again I think this more relevant to headlight plastic changing colour if bulbs don't have filter(?).

Look on Power Bulbs web site. Seem to be doing "buy one get one free" promotion. Didn't check if Avensis bulbs listed.

Regards,

Big Kev.

Thanks for the info. Is the bulb holders failing/melting problem only related to the Avensis 2 or the first generation as well? I have a W reg (before update) one.

Thanks for the info. Is the bulb holders failing/melting problem only related to the Avensis 2 or the first generation as well? I have a W reg (before update) one.

Genuinely don't know if your lights affected, but more than likely not, as yours is one of "the original real Avensi" (left out an "s", as this more than likely the latin plural of more than one Avensis? tee-hee.) I am relatively new to Toyotas myself ,but the headlight failures seem to be more recent model specific.

Can anyone else help Mr. Loom? Livingston is a very DARK place to live, so he must be desperate !!!!!!

Regards, Big Kev

*UPDATE*

bit of background on mine....

2004 avensis, bought Nov 2005. Nov 2006, offside headlamp replaced due to condensing problem. nearside headlamp replaced later in 2006 due to condensing problem. all is well, both sides done under warranty.....

Just had my intermediate service done today, raised the issue of my offside headlamp not being quite so "shiny and clear" as my nearside. told them i had started to experience slight condensing again. told them aware of problem with avensis as per this website etc. also told them 1 month ago, my offside bulb had blown during MOT. garage tried to replace this....but found the bulb casing area melted...as described in other posts on this site. as a result the garage had to do a fix job to change the bulb,make it legal and pass MOT etc.

service assistant at Mr T today was very nice, had it all checked out and looked into getting headlamp sorted as per known Toyota problem. Warranty manager said that the offside lamp not covered as it was replaced in 2006 with a "modified" lamp that rectified the known problem. The 12 month warranty on the "modified" lamp was only 12 months...expired some time ago in other words! Cost to fix it was down to me - £260.

service assistant got in touch with customer relations at head office, they said they would help out a bit, drop the price to £200. assistant did say to me to call head office direct and apply some pressure. they "may" bow to customer pressure......

SO..... to finish.... does anyone know of these "modified"lamps? do i have any recourse? it would appear that these "modified" lamps STILL not upto the job!

Any comments/thoughts/help?!

Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Can anyone else help Mr. Loom? Livingston is a very DARK place to live, so he must be desperate !!!!!!

Nah, we do have street lights East of Glasgow :P

Genuinely don't know if your lights affected, but more than likely not, as yours is one of "the original real Avensi" (left out an "s", as this more than likely the latin plural of more than one Avensis? tee-hee.) I am relatively new to Toyotas myself ,but the headlight failures seem to be more recent model specific.

Regards, Big Kev

Kev: Can you let us know which local garage ?? Post code would do / street name??

Regards & Thanks in advance...

Regards, Big Kev

Kev: Can you let us know which local garage ?? Post code would do / street name??

Regards & Thanks in advance...

Phone Paul (07990 575400). He lives in northern outskirts of Glasgow and will pick up your car from you whilst you go shopping in Big Glesga.

Can give you name of hotel near Paul / me if you wanted to make a night of Christmas shopping(prefer dentist myself) which is close to Stepps (G33)railway station, 12 minutes to Queen Street.

Regards,

Big Kev

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links