Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hat Does Skimming The Head Gasket Mean?

irishjay

what does skimming the head mean???????

Toyota are in the process of fixing my sick car under warranty last week they told me the head gasket was gone , i rang up today for a progress report and they said they skimmed the head gasket ? what does that mean and will it fix the head???also they said that any work on the head gasket is under warranty for a year with no limit on mileage ,, I'm pleased with this ,, so my question is what is skimming and are they successfully in fixing the problem??? should get my car back Moro but Toyota are unsure as they are waiting on some components ,, fingers crossed they get them

what does skimming the head mean???????

Toyota are in the process of fixing my sick car under warranty last week they told me the head gasket was gone , i rang up today for a progress report and they said they skimmed the head gasket ? what does that mean and will it fix the head???also they said that any work on the head gasket is under warranty for a year with no limit on mileage ,, I'm pleased with this ,, so my question is what is skimming and are they successfully in fixing the problem??? should get my car back Moro but Toyota are unsure as they are waiting on some components ,, fingers crossed they get them

They will be skimming the head, not the head gasket.

Basically what they mean is that the cylinder head has warped due to overheating. The flat surface of the head (which mates with the gasket) is planed on a special head skimming machine to make it perferctly flat again so that the head gasket will seal properly.

This is a common operation with aluminium cylinder heads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links