Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is 'level'?

rpaterson

It's all well and good parking up on a level bit of road (car park etc) when you want to check engine or gearbox oil levels, but what if you need to do it in your sloping drive?

What do you use to check the car is jacked up level and even? I would be tempted to stick a wee spirit level across the top of the side steps, or under the sills. However, if the car's been lowered, or naturally has a nose-down stance or something, this won't be accurate - so what do you do then? It's easy enough for side-to-side as you can just stick a level across the front panel.

It's all well and good parking up on a level bit of road (car park etc) when you want to check engine or gearbox oil levels, but what if you need to do it in your sloping drive?

What do you use to check the car is jacked up level and even? I would be tempted to stick a wee spirit level across the top of the side steps, or under the sills. However, if the car's been lowered, or naturally has a nose-down stance or something, this won't be accurate - so what do you do then? It's easy enough for side-to-side as you can just stick a level across the front panel.

Not wanting to teach you to suck eggs so to speak, but what do you think the angled bubble on your spirit level is for?

Using the same technology, all you need is an angled dipstick ;)

Oh bothy, bothy, bothy :)

I am indeed well versed in level usage, I even know how to change the bubble if it's broken.

My question relates to asking what on the car can be taken to be level so that you can stick the spirit level across it?

I would have thought the door sills are about as level as would need for this purpose?

If you need to compensate for a sloping drive by jacking up the front or back of the car, get a straight rule from the the top of the tyre at the front to the the top of the tyre at the back, stick a sprirt level on the rule and adjust the jack until the level is level (then again you may have to compensate for suspension compression - or lack off .... :g:

Ok .....

Find a piece of tarmac that IS level, choose your test point and mark on the level the bubble position, then match that position when in your driveway and jacking the car :D

With the rear seats up, i would guess the boot floor is flat and level :)

Thanks folks, that's pretty much what I was talking about/asking.

You should see some of the answers my question has got on other forums...

Mmmn in the Derbyshire Dales we do not know what level (flat) is. ;)

I check my engine oil levels at Sainbury's car park

wot a lot of t&^%$£@*

anyone knows the easiest way to check level is using water - either in a bowl, or in a plastic pipe, or in my case, whisky in a pint tumbler.

wot a lot of t&^%$£@*

anyone knows the easiest way to check level is using water - either in a bowl, or in a plastic pipe, or in my case, whisky in a pint tumbler.

ah - but how do you know the glass is level :D

wot a lot of t&^%$£@*

duh....

cos its a spirit level !!!!!!

wot a lot of t&^%$£@*

duh....

cos its a spirit level !!!!!!

:yahoo: nice one Bothy :toast:

Thanks folks, that's pretty much what I was talking about/asking.

You should see some of the answers my question has got on other forums...

I don't think you can leave it like that :eek:

Share their answers or provide a link ;)

Take your car to a level site, check the oil, top up as neccesary, then go home park your car in its usual spot+ recheck your oil knowing it is filled correctly, note the position, even put a small scratch on the dip stick + then each time you check your oil at home top up to that mark and it will be right

I think.. :arabia: LOCAL GURU :lol::lol:

OMG

I leave you all for half a day................ ;)

Put the car on the ramps and forget about levels. Use the capacities as they are far more accurate than any other measure. You should add the measured amount to the sump then if you want at some convenient time you can look where it comes to on the stick. It can then be a guide for interim top ups.

With the car tilted backwards it is easy to fill the oil in the gearbox and although the transfer box is tilted backwards there is a filler up on top so don't even take the level plug out. The diff filler is at the front so that will be tilted back.

All sorted!

Ah, but Anchorman, although the reason for the question was about fluid levels, the ACTUAL question posed was about car levels ;)

Ah, but Anchorman, although the reason for the question was about fluid levels, the ACTUAL question posed was about car levels ;)
(1) Hang a piece of string with a weight on the end (plumb line) from your inferior mirror, use this as a datum line to accurately measure to 4 equidistant points on your rav when all measurements are equal it is level.. :thumbsup:

(2) Drive your car into a lake just before it submerges nip out + check your oil as it will be pretty level.. :thumbsup:

(3) Borrow one of those huge inflatable dingys from the RNLI, drive your rav onto it, having first checked tyre pressures + weight distribution, then without leaning on your car, i would reccomend hanging upside down from a rope attached to a hot air balloon, then check your oil level.. :thumbsup:

(4)Take your rav to a reputable dealer who is strictly on the level, and trust that he knows what he is doing.. :thumbsup:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: oh dear, since this thread has went way off topic I might as well join in.

heres the best Level I've ever come across -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Thanks folks. In a weird way, you're all right. Even bothy.

Anyway, other forums...

1) take car to a local garage and use their 2 or 4 poster ramp. As an added bonus apparently they might only CHARGE ME a couple of quid if they're not busy.

2) take car to kwik fit and they can check my levels.

Fools.

Thanks folks. In a weird way, you're all right. Even bothy.

Anyway, other forums...

1) take car to a local garage and use their 2 or 4 poster ramp. As an added bonus apparently they might only CHARGE ME a couple of quid if they're not busy.

2) take car to kwik fit and they can check my levels.

Fools.

wotdya mean "even bothy"

ahm in quick striking distance of Ayrshire ye ken!! Ahll suin sort it fur ye!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links