Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Brake Pad Change - 1998 Avensis

talldave

Can anyone help - I need to change the front brake pads on my 1998 Avensis 1.8 auto. I've done this on other cars but not the Avensis. I've got the correct Haynes manual (Avensis 1998-2003) for my car but the section on changing the pads doesn't resemble those on my car.

Perhaps the ones shown in the manual are for the facelifted vvti model?

It looks to me as though I need a 7 mm hexagonal allen key to remove the caliper guide bolts. Can anyone confirm this?

I've had a look through the workshop articles but can't see a relevant one - so any advice would be welcome.

Perhaps I need the Carina E manual as this car may have the same brakes as mine?

To Talldave,

From memory i think may be 8mm hex socket? But once you have pads removed why not take old set to motor factors & have them matched up via parts book. Auto cars can be harder on your front pads as you have no engine braking with autobox.

Thanks Beagh - I tried an 8mm hex key but that seemed too big and 6mm was too small.

I already have new pads (bought from Toyota).

Anyone else got any advice?

Thanks Beagh - I tried an 8mm hex key but that seemed too big and 6mm was too small.

I already have new pads (bought from Toyota).

Anyone else got any advice?

7mm hex key?....

:lol:

(sorry talldave!)

Yes, make sure you pump your pedal before ( easy to forget ) moving off. It happens & it sure will shake you up when you try to stop.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links