Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Wheel Nuts

Leeky

Car has gone in today and i mentioned to them that the nuts on the front wheels have gone rusty.

They tell me that they used to but apparently Toyota arent changing these under warranty anymore.

Anyone else experienced this?

The corrosion warranty should cover everything on the car in my opinion so im not letting them get away with it.

yea these are really common, especially when trying to remove the wheels for their first big service, the corrode onto the hubs, the front hubs tend to rust too due to no underseal or protective coating on them.

my advice to anyone who purchases a aygo is to take it to a garage and have all the underside treated with waxoyl etc B)

Car has gone in today and i mentioned to them that the nuts on the front wheels have gone rusty.

They tell me that they used to but apparently Toyota arent changing these under warranty anymore.

The corrosion warranty should cover everything on the car in my opinion so im not letting them get away with it.

This happens to all Aygos. You could try to find some stainless steel nuts, but Mr T doesn't have these, which probably why they dont replace them. I chose 19mm stainless steel nut covers, which slide over the originals and now they look pretty good. Only downside is that I now have to keep a small pair of pliers in the car, should I need to remove them.

I've posted on here before about this problem which also affected my Ago with alloy wheels.

My dealer back in 2006 had real difficulty getting Toyota to replace wheel nuts under warranty. In the end the dealer replaced them and continued to liaise with Toyota about it.

Now in 2008, the replacements are doing the same. I haven't used any aggresive wheel cleaners on them, but they have all started to rust again. The only one that doesn't is the locking wheel nut!

I think as suggested the stainless steel covers are the best long term solution.

I'd have thought Mr T would have sorted out this issue by now, since its pretty common and has been for 2 years!

I spoke too soon, Toyota are telling me they will replace these under the 12 year corrotion warranty. Some people you speak to at the garages arent clued up enough.

Dealership do not have to change these nuts when they become rusty/corroded.

The Aygo hardly has any anti corrosion protection on the parts fitted therefore the uncoated parts arent covered by cosmetic rust/corrosion warranty.

We have a booklet printed off at work showing exactly what is and isnt covered due to the parts being uncoated.

My guess is that you complained enough and Toyota gave in this time but others who try wont get the same response, sadly.

Mart :)

Nah, i mentioned the 12 year (think its 12 year) corrosion warranty. they said fair enough and changed it, only had to bring it back up the once and jobs a goodun

Just put my Aygo Black in for warranty work (water pump) and mentioned the wheel nuts. Toyota guy ,who also has a Black, said he had asked the same question and been told by Toyota Uk that they were not covered because the nuts are manufactured by Peugeot (for wheels that are unique to the Aygo ? ).

Just put my Aygo Black in for warranty work (water pump) and mentioned the wheel nuts. Toyota guy ,who also has a Black, said he had asked the same question and been told by Toyota Uk that they were not covered because the nuts are manufactured by Peugeot (for wheels that are unique to the Aygo ? ).

WTF? It shouldn't matter who makes them. It doesn't matter if they're made by Toyota, Peugeot or RustyNuts'R'Us! Toyota chose them to fit to their car, so they have to take responsibility for it. If mine rust on, I shall be quoting trading standards, the phrases "fit for purpose" and "manufacturing/design defect" spring to mind.

The Sales Of Goods Act : sometimes it's actually nice to live in England! :D

It's simple: The manufacturer has no intention of making stainless steel bolts for a budget car and dont want to be replacing them forever under warranty. (VW resolved the problem by fitting caps). I'll be interested to get a close look at the wheel bolts on the facelifted Aygo in 2009...

The 17mm wheel 'bolts' are peugeot and arent coated in any way like the 21mm Toyota 'nuts' that are fitted to other Toyotas and also stainless/chrome plated.

This is why you wont get much warranty on the bolts - because they arent coated therefore will begin to corrode.

Mart.

WTF? It shouldn't matter who makes them. It doesn't matter if they're made by Toyota, Peugeot or RustyNuts'R'Us! Toyota chose them to fit to their car, so they have to take responsibility for it. If mine rust on, I shall be quoting trading standards, the phrases "fit for purpose" and "manufacturing/design defect" spring to mind.

The Sales Of Goods Act : sometimes it's actually nice to live in England! :D

It matters for the above reason, they arent coated so they wont be covered under warranty.

Also they are 'fit for purpose' & i wouldnt say there is a 'manufacturing/design defect' as the wheel bolts hold the wheels on very well/dont come loose and the corrosion doesnt get bad enough to not get a socket on.

Mart.

I'll be interested to get a close look at the wheel bolts on the facelifted Aygo in 2009...

Don't get your hopes up...

It's a FACELIFT, not an overhaul.

It matters for the above reason, they arent coated so they wont be covered under warranty.

Also they are 'fit for purpose' & i wouldnt say there is a 'manufacturing/design defect' as the wheel bolts hold the wheels on very well/dont come loose and the corrosion doesnt get bad enough to not get a socket on.

Mart.

1) Warranty doesn't really matter - Consumer Statutory Rights and the Sales Of Goods Act ensure that consumers are protected against poor manufacturing, bad design and poor service. Warranties can sometimes offer something above and beyond a consumer's Statutory rights, but they can't take away from it. This is why you will ALWAYS see the phrase "This warranty does not affect your statutory rights", or words to that effect. For most companies, Warranties are simply a smokescreen : a way to make people go away after 12 months if their product is defective, while in truth they are still protected under UK consumer law. So wether Toyota consider it under *their* warranty is neither here nor there.

2) Fit for purpose - the purpose of a nut is to hold a wheel in place, it is also supposed to be removeable and reusable. If the nuts are rusting so bad that they can't be removed and/or reused, then they are not fit for purpose - plain and simple.

3) Manufacturing/design defect - if the product is made from unsuitable materials for the application, then it is. If Toyota use stainless nuts on every other vehicle, then they've shot themselves in the foot by setting a precident.

For the sake of a a few pounds, I would expect any dealer worth their salt (and who wants any future sales) to replace defective wheel nuts FOC. If it were my service dept, I would also be replacing them with a superior item to ensure I don't ever see that car back for the same problem. If the other cars all use better nuts, then there will be plenty on hand to use as replacements. This would also go a long way to apologising to the customer for the inconvenience, and reassure them of Toyota's commitment to their customers and their products.

EDIT : That said, now I've seen this post, I shall be taking my nuts off and treating them with some etchprimer and copper grease. So thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

Mart.

1) Warranty doesn't really matter - Consumer Statutory Rights and the Sales Of Goods Act ensure that consumers are protected against poor manufacturing, bad design and poor service. Warranties can sometimes offer something above and beyond a consumer's Statutory rights, but they can't take away from it. This is why you will ALWAYS see the phrase "This warranty does not affect your statutory rights", or words to that effect. For most companies, Warranties are simply a smokescreen : a way to make people go away after 12 months if their product is defective, while in truth they are still protected under UK consumer law. So wether Toyota consider it under *their* warranty is neither here nor there.

2) Fit for purpose - the purpose of a nut is to hold a wheel in place, it is also supposed to be removeable and reusable. If the nuts are rusting so bad that they can't be removed and/or reused, then they are not fit for purpose - plain and simple.

3) Manufacturing/design defect - if the product is made from unsuitable materials for the application, then it is. If Toyota use stainless nuts on every other vehicle, then they've shot themselves in the foot by setting a precident.

For the sake of a a few pounds, I would expect any dealer worth their salt (and who wants any future sales) to replace defective wheel nuts FOC. If it were my service dept, I would also be replacing them with a superior item to ensure I don't ever see that car back for the same problem. If the other cars all use better nuts, then there will be plenty on hand to use as replacements. This would also go a long way to apologising to the customer for the inconvenience, and reassure them of Toyota's commitment to their customers and their products.

EDIT : That said, now I've seen this post, I shall be taking my nuts off and treating them with some etchprimer and copper grease. So thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

1 - Fair enough

2 - The wheel bolts dont rust badly enough so they cant be removed - i have seen plenty of slightly corroded/rusty Aygo wheel nuts but no where near 'not fit for purpose'.

3 - You would have to take that up with Peugeot/Citreon as they are the vehicle manufacturers responsible for the front/rear hubs on the Aygo lol

Also if a dealer replaced every set of 'slightly corroded' wheel nuts on the Aygos im sure that would amount to alot more than 'a few pounds' for them. Dealerships dont get things for free from Toyota GB. If it were your dealership i think you would find yourself out of pocket every month too! lol

I have also stated that Aygo's use BOLTS and other Toyotas use NUTS therefore there wont be 'plenty on hand to use as replacements'.

Mart. :)

If anyone is trying to get nuts replaced due to some slight surface rust, then they need a slap upside their head :rolleyes:

But the way I'm reading into this is that it's starting to be a problem for some owners. Certainly if Toyota and/or their dealers are having to replace the bolts/studs (sorry, didn't realise they weren't nuts) and charging the customer, then that I think is wrong (and I'm fairly sure Trading Standards would agree).

I would certainly encourage anyone with steel wheels to get the studs greased and primed/kurusted at or after their next service. I think I'll take a look at mine this weekend :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Stop calling them nuts, it's driving me mad :lol:

BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS

Got it?

:P

• 3 months later...
This happens to all Aygos. You could try to find some stainless steel nuts, but Mr T doesn't have these, which probably why they dont replace them. I chose 19mm stainless steel nut covers, which slide over the originals and now they look pretty good. Only downside is that I now have to keep a small pair of pliers in the car, should I need to remove them.

After a while, even the stainless steel bolt covers I have started to show signs of corrosion (probably help along by the salty roads here). The only difference is that they come up like new when you use some wire wool on them.

Here's a quick before and after picture

691c76.jpg

Stop calling them nuts, it's driving me mad :lol:

BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS BOLTS

Got it?

:P

So what do you call the thing sticking out that the bolt (nut) spins onto?

So what do you call the thing sticking out that the bolt (nut) spins onto?

A car that uses NUTS to fasten the wheels has STUDS on the hub/axle.

Our Aygo's have threaded holes in the hub, so you need BOLTS for them...

Before

1jq4i1.jpg

After

14nz414.jpg

Hey gotta say my brand new Aygo Blue has the start of this problem! can i ask where you got the stainless steel covers buddy and what size they are? they reakky add to the wheels look brill! thanks

Thx :thumbsup: . I got mine from a PMA store near me ( http://www.cliffordsofbrighton.co.uk/ ) for less than £20. Their boss has an Aygo, so he helped me out. I took the spare bolts from the locking wheel bolt box to try before I buy.

I can't remember if it is 19mm or 17mm size wheel bolts, but I'm sure someone on the forum will advise please

There are pleanty on eBay and the net. Halfords do them, but they are pretty poor quality.

I can't remember if it is 19mm or 17mm size wheel bolts, but I'm sure someone on the forum will advise please

A weight-saving 17mm :D

paul.

A weight-saving 17mm :D

paul.

cheers i'll get myself some of those

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links