Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Wheel Nuts

Leeky

My wheelbolts are rusty too, but since it's only surfacerust and they

still hold the wheels on the hubs just fine I don't worry about them.

So when I took my car in for a 60.000km service (40.000mi) and some

warranty-work since the car is approaching three years I was happily

surprised when they told me I'd have to come back, as they had new

wheelbolts on backorder, as well as a new set of doorseals.

Both of which I never even mentioned!

The loaner Aygo I got (the iQ I had requested was stuck in traffic)

had just over 16.000km (10.000mi) on it and it had rusty bots in the front

wheels too by the way... Car was a year old according to its paperwork...

Great thread, nice to have a head up on an issue like this.

Will be whipping off my alloys (and bolts) and liberally copper greasing the lot.

• 1 year later...
Before

1jq4i1.jpg

After

14nz414.jpg

Hey gotta say my brand new Aygo Blue has the start of this problem! can i ask where you got the stainless steel covers buddy and what size they are? they reakky add to the wheels look brill! thanks

Sorry to be bringing up an old thread, but this is the exact thing that's happening with my Aygo's bolts, except I've got the turbine-style alloys. So, am I right in thinking that you've just added the chrome covers and that seems to have solved the problem? If so, I might get myself some to prevent the bolts from rusting any more!

And does the copper grease help? :)

another option rather than steel covers is plastic 'steel looking' covers which will never rust! - available from your local corner car spares store or online / eBay and they cost under a £1 each.......... best investment I made!

incidentally I argued about the issue at 1 year old on my blue and dealer said they would pay for a new set which they did nut that set has gone same way hence the plastic covers...........

I might try one of these options then, thanks for the advice! :)

Tried some WD40 earlier on the bolts themselves but didn't really do anything to shift the rust. Then again, I wasn't expecting it to, to be honest :P

I'll try and find some plastic or stainless steel covers!

• 7 months later...

After quite some time, I'm going to get myself some covers because the wheel nuts are just getting rustier and rustier. Not sure whether to go for glossy black or chrome. I've found some 17mm, but just one question before I buy - do they some with any sort of tool for getting them off with? Or any tips on getting them off if not? Cheers :)

I don't think they come with a tool to get them off as they are just push-on... If you really had too I can only imagine a flat head screw driver may prize them off... just be CAREFUL! Having a screwdriver implanted in your hand is not as fun as it sounds! :wacko:

Can I suggest you go the whole hog and get new bolts all round?! Will solve your problem with rust if you get decent ones, I've got some KEI racing flush fitting matt black bolts which I think look the knees!

Some come supplied with a removal tool, some don't. These http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-CHROME-alloy-wheel-nut-bolt-covers-17mm-/310186488157?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item48388e315d do.

Any that I've used in the past have been quite a tight fit, I suppose they have to be, when attempting to remove the poor quality removal tool has usually broken. I've then had to carefully lever off with two small flat screwdrivers or pull off using two pieces of suitable plastic clothes peg!

I don't think they come with a tool to get them off as they are just push-on... If you really had too I can only imagine a flat head screw driver may prize them off... just be CAREFUL! Having a screwdriver implanted in your hand is not as fun as it sounds! :wacko:

Can I suggest you go the whole hog and get new bolts all round?! Will solve your problem with rust if you get decent ones, I've got some KEI racing flush fitting matt black bolts which I think look the knees!

Haha I'll be careful. And hmm I would do if I could, but renewing all of the bolts will be expensive in comparison to getting some covers - my Toyota dealer quoted me in the region of £200 when I asked last Summer :(

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Are the wheel nuts on the Aygo DEFINITELY 17mm? Because I've just tried fitting the covers I've ordered, and they seem to be a tad small :-/ they're definitely not 19mm? Any ideas would be really appreciated! I'll try again but they just didn't seem to want to go on!

They're 17mm for 100%!

Are you sure they're not fouling on the lugholes on your rims?

They're 17mm for 100%!

Do pardon my ignorance :P what are lugholes? I literally get these covers around the very first few milimetres of the bolts and then they don't want to go any further. It's weird. The covers I've got are by Autostyle I think. They're definitely 17mm as well, so they really should fit without problem! :-/ I'll try and put some pics up soon or something.

I meant the holes in your wheels that the bolts sit in.

Some of these caps I've seen have a flared end/flange and those

tend to rub on the inside of your wheel so they won't fit.

They're 17mm for 100%!

Do pardon my ignorance :P what are lugholes? I literally get these covers around the very first few milimetres of the bolts and then they don't want to go any further. It's weird. The covers I've got are by Autostyle I think. They're definitely 17mm as well, so they really should fit without problem! :-/ I'll try and put some pics up soon or something.

If you look inside the covers, there MAY be a raised ridge a few millimetres in.

This is the bit that grips the wheel bolt.

Take 'em outside in a bowl of hot water.

Quick dry with a tissue inside and slide 'em on when they've expanded.

I had a set when I had alloys on my Aygo. They were VERY tight when cold.

You could always smear a little grease on the bolts to help them slide on.

Ian.

I meant the holes in your wheels that the bolts sit in.

Some of these caps I've seen have a flared end/flange and those

tend to rub on the inside of your wheel so they won't fit.

ah right... I don't think these have a flared edge to them, but I'll check again :) If all else fails I'll post a video or something :P thanks!

A possible (much cheaper) alternative.

When I had a Smart Fortwo, owners had a similar problem.

Some of us, rather than sorting out the bolts, came up with a cunning disguise.

I no longer have alloys on my Aygo so somebody else will have to do the measuring / testing......

Blank off the holes with something like......

caps2.jpg

caps.jpg

Look on eBay for " 30mm end caps" or if somebody can test the hole size, " 25mm end caps"

20 for about £5.00 delivered!

Somebody will have to pluck up the courage to test it, but once the correct size is found, Hey-Presto! No more ugly nuts.

You won't even have to clean those pesky holes out! Just sponge straight over the tops.

capsdone.jpg

Ian.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links