Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 2.2 Engine Managment Recall

Shaun Toole

Just been on the phone to book my Verso 2.2 T3 in for it's first MOT and I've been told that Toyota have recalled all 2.2 Verso's for an Engine Management upgrade. Anybody else heard about this ?

Just been on the phone to book my Verso 2.2 T3 in for it's first MOT and I've been told that Toyota have recalled all 2.2 Verso's for an Engine Management upgrade. Anybody else heard about this ?

Same here , they say they are writing to all customers about it , but i don't know what fault is or if it's a complete replacement or sort of bios flash, will find out Friday lets hope it's a change for the good.

just been on the phone to my garage and they have confirmed that my vehicle doesn't need it. Bought it in August 08, 2.2 diesel if that makes any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let you know. Had the ECU software updated by Pentagon Toyota in Rotherham. They washed my car and I got £15 of diesel thrown in for the inconvenience ! :D

This is a customer satisfaction campaign, not a recall, there is a huge difference

Kingo :thumbsup:

This is a customer satisfaction campaign, not a recall, there is a huge difference

Do you know what's involved? Is it an ECU remap, for example? What changes will the driver notice?

Do you know what's involved? Is it an ECU remap, for example? What changes will the driver notice?

We hook the car upto the IT2 handheld computer and reflash the ECU with an update. This is to stop the engine management light coming on erroneously as quite a few of the diesels are doing. I think it just changes a few of the parameters for when the ECU detects a fault.

This isnt a remap so you shouldnt feel any driving difference.

Not all cars need it though as said above.

Mart.

My Verso (2.2 td May 2006) was developing problems cold starting - cutting out after starting, or just struggling. I took it in and they performed the ECU changes. Sorted out the problem completely, but the economy is appalling now - I struggle to get more than 30mpg driving like a granny. Has anyone else had similar problems?

I have a T180 D4D Verso Sept 06. Have had problems from the word go. EGR valve has been replaced 3 times so far due to the breakdowns. I also struggle with fuel consumption, never get more than 26 / 27 in town, even driving at times when there is little traffic.

I also have a bit of difficulty getting into 2nd gear when cold, has anyone else had this. I know it is not just me, cos the RAC man drove it on my last breakdown and he agreed that it was a problem selecting 2nd gear.

Haven't heard anything about a recall, should Toyota be contacting us if it is necessary, do you know ??

Haven't heard anything about a recall, should Toyota be contacting us if it is necessary, do you know ??

It is NOT A RECALL, thats why you havn't heard anything ;)

• 3 months later...

Yes my Verso is 3 years old and has done 111 000 kms. I have started to notice problems with the engine management. The orange engine light has come on and my car drives like a tractor in first and second gears. Also have the same problem about getting into 2nd gear! Today the car started but did not rev when i pressed the accelator pedal! Had to call the break down truck to tow it to the garage. Its still in warranty as in Belgium we have 5 years warranty / 150 000 kms! But i am not happy as its the second time its happened. Fiest time the garage just reset the computer, but i also noticed the fuel consumption increased! Average is now 6.6 litres for 100 kms. Before it was around 5!

My Verso just had it's 10,000 mile service and the ECU update. Will see if it changes mpg but from what the dealer told me and what Kingo has said above I don't expect any difference. Have to say the engine is just feeling run in at 10,000 miles. Used to only get 450 - 500 miles from a tank now easily getting 500+ miles.

• 1 month later...
My Verso (2.2 td May 2006) was developing problems cold starting - cutting out after starting, or just struggling. I took it in and they performed the ECU changes. Sorted out the problem completely, but the economy is appalling now - I struggle to get more than 30mpg driving like a granny. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Edit:

my 08 12000 mile verso went in for ecu "up grade". I asked if i would lose any power or fuel consumption. the chap in the garage told me that i might see slightly better mpg. Good news i thought. when i had the car back the following day it was as flat as a pancake and over the last month or so the mpg has been down considerably. Took the car back and they told me it would take a 1000 miles to correct its self, it has not and they say there is nothing they can do about it . took the matter up with customer relations and they just do not want to know. dont know what to do next.

Edit:

my 08 12000 mile verso went in for ecu "up grade". I asked if i would lose any power or fuel consumption. the chap in the garage told me that i might see slightly better mpg. Good news i thought. when i had the car back the following day it was as flat as a pancake and over the last month or so the mpg has been down considerably. Took the car back and they told me it would take a 1000 miles to correct its self, it has not and they say there is nothing they can do about it . took the matter up with customer relations and they just do not want to know. dont know what to do next.

Have you tried disconnecting the Battery for an hour or two to let the ECU reset itself? This worked wonders on my previous car.

would this apply to a 2003 avensis verso d4d we have had probs with out engine management light coming on and losing power for about a year now if we switch the engine off and wait 10 mins it seems to solve the probs?

Any info appreciated

• 2 months later...

my problem is the same! I had 10000km after upgrade, 5 time have bin in service place, but nothing.

Mechanical says that the way it's has to be :( and toyota had no bad thing heart about that!

Had someone repair this?

Lets be honest, from my experiences, those of colleagues, and on this forum, Toyota cars are often pretty cr@p, the company doesn't care less about it's cutomers once you've paid and and won't do anything to help you. You need to consider having the car evaluated by an independent engineer/vehicle inspector and if they conform the fault(s), then take that to Toyota and if necessary sue them.

I went through this with Skoda when they told me a car that wouldn't go into 2nd gear 'was normal'.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links