Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Landcruiser Battery

mac500

Hi people.

i have a 1998 3liter diesel gx landcruiser (prado) i have only one Battery in it and the rating is 70ah, just wondering what size batteries ye have in yer landcruisers as i believe mine might be under powered.

im having starting problems every so often so i got a new Battery and was told by toyota that this was correct for my vehicle,

so i put it in and problem still occuring,

i took the stater motor out and got it reconditioned by an auto electrician who said it wasnt in bad condition anyway and put it back in,

still same problem, then checked all the earth/negative connections and shined them up with emery paper so have good continuity

still made no difference

im thinking its a week Battery cos when i jump start it it turnes over ok.

p.s. the battery is new and fully charged as i metered it to make sure it was, and also the timing was done aswell.

many thanks

Rory.

Hi people.

i have a 1998 3liter diesel gx landcruiser (prado) i have only one battery in it and the rating is 70ah, just wondering what size batteries ye have in yer landcruisers as i believe mine might be under powered.

im having starting problems every so often so i got a new battery and was told by toyota that this was correct for my vehicle,

i took the stater motor out and got it reconditioned by an auto electrician who said it wasnt in bad condition anyway and put it back in,

still same problem, then checked all the earth/negative connections and shined them up with emery paper so have good continuity

still made no difference

im thinking its a week battery cos when i jump start it it turnes over ok.

p.s. the battery is new and fully charged as i metered it to make sure it was, and also the timing was done aswell.

many thanks

Rory.

Your Battery should be fine,both my brothers have the standard size in their Prados. Did you also remove the earth strap from the engine and clean that?

I would measure the voltage at the starter motor when the key is turned to START and see if the voltage is good there

Hi people.

i have a 1998 3liter diesel gx landcruiser (prado) i have only one battery in it and the rating is 70ah, just wondering what size batteries ye have in yer landcruisers as i believe mine might be under powered.

im having starting problems every so often so i got a new battery and was told by toyota that this was correct for my vehicle,

still made no difference

im thinking its a week battery cos when i jump start it it turnes over ok.

many thanks

Rory.

Your Battery should be fine,both my brothers have the standard size in their Prados. Did you also remove the earth strap from the engine and clean that?

I would measure the voltage at the starter motor when the key is turned to START and see if the voltage is good there

Thanks for your reply, yes i have also done all that but still nutting, for all the world its sounding like the Battery is flat but its not so im thinking i need a higer powered one, has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks for your reply, yes i have also done all that but still nutting, for all the world its sounding like the battery is flat but its not so im thinking i need a higer powered one, has anyone had this problem before?

I have never seen this problem on a prado. Has the baterry been load tested?

Is your glow sytem working ok?

Hi Rory

Just my 2 pence worth, not sure how long you have had the LC?

The 1998 LC GX 3.0TD (1KZ–TE engine) that I know has 2 (in parallel) batteries

Are there two Battery trays with associated leads, one on the Offside & one on the Nearside?

Battery spec (X2) for above vehicle is:

Capacity: 70Ah (amp hour)

Cold Cranking Current: 590A (amp)

Battery Pole order/layout are asymmetrical

For a RHD vehicle:

Offside (driver side) battery Pole order is: (-ve) (+ve)

Nearside (passenger side) battery Pole order is: (+ve) (-ve)

That is the negative terminals are nearest each wing side

It’s a big engine, but maybe there is no need for two 590A (CCA) batteries in warmer climates?

Also depends on engine oil viscosity (cranking)?

Jump-start works OK so the following may not be relevant?

The above vehicle has a history of diesel tank outlet line corrosion problems :censor:

Any diesel system feed leakage will cause starting problems (very common)

When was the fuel filter last replaced (another cause of start & performance problems)

As already mentioned by sandgroper, glow plugs may be iffy (part of the preheat system)

Hi Rory

Just my 2 pence worth, not sure how long you have had the LC?

The 1998 LC GX 3.0TD (1KZ–TE engine) that I know has 2 (in parallel) batteries

Are there two battery trays with associated leads, one on the Offside & one on the Nearside?

Battery spec (X2) for above vehicle is:

Capacity: 70Ah (amp hour)

Cold Cranking Current: 590A (amp)

Battery Pole order/layout are asymmetrical

For a RHD vehicle:

Offside (driver side) battery Pole order is: (-ve) (+ve)

Nearside (passenger side) battery Pole order is: (+ve) (-ve)

That is the negative terminals are nearest each wing side

It’s a big engine, but maybe there is no need for two 590A (CCA) batteries in warmer climates?

Also depends on engine oil viscosity (cranking)?

Jump-start works OK so the following may not be relevant?

The above vehicle has a history of diesel tank outlet line corrosion problems :censor:

Any diesel system feed leakage will cause starting problems (very common)

When was the fuel filter last replaced (another cause of start & performance problems)

As already mentioned by sandgroper, glow plugs may be iffy (part of the preheat system)

Hexagon, thanks you very much for your informative post, i'll look into those straight away.

Sandgroper thanks for your helpful suggestion also.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links