Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav To Colorado

rambler

hi folks

i own a 2001 rav4 d4d,have been considering changing up to a landcruiser colorado (obviously older machine) possibly 1994-2001..ish.or as new as i can afford

my rav4 has never let me down since purchasing it ,ive covered 43'000 miles in just over 3 years and its now done 73'000 miles,been good as gold,i take it off road a fair bit too.

but , feel the need for a more capable vehicle again....but hopefully not the same experiences as i once had:.....as follows

i had a 1999...ish 'y' reg 3 door diesel colorado about 4 years ago,it was meant to be a solidly built reliable machine that would last for years.

but in the 1st week of ownership a fuel injector pipe split just as it entered the nut on the side of the engine,it sent a 2 foot jet of deisel across the engine bay when engine was running!.it lost a fair bit of diesel onto the road as it went along and smelled horrid

lucky it was on guarantee still and was fixed by local dealership.

so my confidence was severly knocked on a 'totally reliable machine',hence i gave it back to dealership,and was glad i didnt have to think about possible 'horrendous' future repair costs,i believe the milage was approx 70'000,and it had a full toyota service history.

so can anybody reassure me again about this decision please,i really miss the colorado .i have tried modifying my rav4 to make it 'feel' more capable,but cant it cant fill the shoes of the landcruiser!!!!

I would consider your experience of the split fuel injector pipe simply as a bit of bad luck.

I am sure you like your RAV and, although a different machine, you would like the LC just as much. After all they are both Toyotas and as reliable as each other.

If you really need a bigger car then make the change and enjoy :yes::thumbsup:

I would love a Land Cruiser and can't imagine that they are not usually amazingly reliable considering the kind of places they seem to be taken over and over again.

hi folks

i own a 2001 rav4 d4d,have been considering changing up to a landcruiser colorado (obviously older machine) possibly 1994-2001..ish.or as new as i can afford

my rav4 has never let me down since purchasing it ,ive covered 43'000 miles in just over 3 years and its now done 73'000 miles,been good as gold,i take it off road a fair bit too.

but , feel the need for a more capable vehicle again....but hopefully not the same experiences as i once had:.....as follows

i had a 1999...ish 'y' reg 3 door diesel colorado about 4 years ago,it was meant to be a solidly built reliable machine that would last for years.

but in the 1st week of ownership a fuel injector pipe split just as it entered the nut on the side of the engine,it sent a 2 foot jet of deisel across the engine bay when engine was running!.it lost a fair bit of diesel onto the road as it went along and smelled horrid

lucky it was on guarantee still and was fixed by local dealership.

so my confidence was severly knocked on a 'totally reliable machine',hence i gave it back to dealership,and was glad i didnt have to think about possible 'horrendous' future repair costs,i believe the milage was approx 70'000,and it had a full toyota service history.

so can anybody reassure me again about this decision please,i really miss the colorado .i have tried modifying my rav4 to make it 'feel' more capable,but cant it cant fill the shoes of the landcruiser!!!!

hi i have owned a colarado 97 r reg which had 85,000 miles when i bought it acouple of years ago it is a 3.4v6 with a sequential gas conversion people said before i bought it you will lose power towing rubbish no difference what so ever the only problem that i have had was a blocked radiater when i first got it but that was changed and a split brake pipe and other than the usual mot's new pads and little odd's and ends regular oil and plugs nothing to moan about i have been pleased with the car and will surely getting another toyota when funds allow atoss up between a gassed up 4.7 or diesl 4.2 Amazon which i have been told will at worst return 25 mpg wich i find hard to believe but for shear pulling power not alot between either model my car now has 121,000mls still going strong no probs starts first time sweet as a nut touchwood only prob i have had is when towing on big hills but i have a swift 640 conqueror loaded up to the hilt previous car 2.5 pajero diesel good value car but under powered with a big van someone please tell which is the best Amazon to go for please thanks

• 1 month later...

Lo,

got lost on the forum and ended up here... :lol:

I too have a Rav (4.3 XT4) and should I end up giving it up I would love to trade up to a Landcruiser LC4/5. With the current climate the price of these beast have dropped by so much it's almost criminal! The only thing that is deterring me at the moment is the Road Tax being £400... dont think I'd want to pay the GVNMT that much just to fill holes in the road (Badly)

However if money would'nt be an issue I'd jump in one tomorrow! Well will just have to wait and see.

Regards

Rob

B)

Lo,

got lost on the forum and ended up here... :lol:

I too have a Rav (4.3 XT4) and should I end up giving it up I would love to trade up to a Landcruiser LC4/5. With the current climate the price of these beast have dropped by so much it's almost criminal! The only thing that is deterring me at the moment is the Road Tax being £400... dont think I'd want to pay the GVNMT that much just to fill holes in the road (Badly)

However if money would'nt be an issue I'd jump in one tomorrow! Well will just have to wait and see.

Regards

Rob

B)

hello nightstalker

a mate of mine who i go greenlaning with,has finally had enough of his freelander after numerous faults and a new engine on a '54' reg.he had spent a few thousand modin it and it was a superb off roader for a freelander.

but alas he has seen the light and sold it and bought a 05 hilux twincab for reliable motoring.i am now very jealous and want a colorado even more(cant afford the newer 'LC' series).

problem is i am so reluctant to get rid of my rav mk2 after 3 1/2 years faultless service and 45'000 miles and not even a blown bulb so far ( it will probably go wrong now ive said this).

all im really after is more ground clearance as i bottom out all to easily on the rough stuff and in ruts,i love the colorado's stance ,ultra strong build .but am just concerend about reliability of a even older vehicle than i have at present.despit toyotas reputation for reliability.

i was told by my late father,when you change your car,always go newer ,never go older,work your way forward,not backwards,and as you say road tax could be a killer after the budget this year with a 3.0 diesel

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links