Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just About To Buy An Avensis T180

tubaman

Just about to trade in my old 2002 1.8VVTi Avensis SR for a 2 yr old Avensis T180 with 18K miles in the clock.

Whilst I`ve read some of the forum postings, I really need to know how good the engine is & if there are any known problems with it or the management system on the car (I had the oil issue with my old 1.8 but main dealer replaced with a short motor on warranty).

If anyone could give me some `real world` mileage figures for these cars I would really appreciate it.

After driving the car, it seems to have plenty of low end grunt & power & trim levels appear very good. Not sure how the turn by turn sat nav works or if it is any good.

I was told, but cant confirm, that the Toyota 2.2 turbo diesel D-CAT won the engine of the year in 2006. Anyone know anything about this ?

Any help appreciated

This appears to be a very controversial engine! A lot of people struggle to return 33/34 whilst other are nearer 45, it all depends on your usage if your a motorway user then 45 could be achievable, if your a short journey user then the engine won't get warm and 33 is understandable.

I think its fair to say its very clean but not that powerful or economical when compared with some other brands who have similiar engines.

BMW won in 2006 with the 3 litre 6 Cylinder Diesel i.e. 330d/530d

it's not the case that the engine lack's power,it is because the gearing is longand the reason for that is to keep emissions down.the engine performs best through the mid range.i would agree that if urban driving is your main usage then i would look elsewhere.there have been problems with some cars on an item called the fifth injector,the purpose of the fi is to inject fuel at the exhaust stroke of the engine which cleans the diesel particle filter through,on some thi process was not workng correctly and the engine would go into limp mode.i have to say this did affect a small number of lexus 220d owners but was not widespread. i have covered 50k in my 220 without any engine problems.

ps,lexus recalled all 220's for a modified fifth injector last summer,i am assuming that toyota did something similar.

toyota havent recalled that

how ever when your picking it up make sure its had its ecu reprogramme. also the t180 gearbox is bad for input shaft seal going also timing covers leaking also oil consumption and head gaskets failing but look on the bright side nice comfy crusier

I have a 57 plate T180 tourer and I have had mid 40's on a run and low 30's commuting... but I love the car, after years of Puegeot and Citroen diesels the quality of the T180 is so much higher. Theres more than enough power, its quiet, comfortable and what people need to understand about this particular engine is that it is a lot cleaner emmisions wise than comparable engines. Can't recommend it enough. ( built in Derbyshire as well)

I have a 57 plate T180 tourer and I have had mid 40's on a run and low 30's commuting... but I love the car, after years of Puegeot and Citroen diesels the quality of the T180 is so much higher. Theres more than enough power, its quiet, comfortable and what people need to understand about this particular engine is that it is a lot cleaner emmisions wise than comparable engines. Can't recommend it enough. ( built in Derbyshire as well)

Hi can i ask how many miles your T180 has done ??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links