Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Suspension

Aygo NTC

Probably not...

The Aygo has a semi-rigid rear torsion axle, the Yaris had McPherson all round AFAIK...

And I remember reading the PDC of the Aygo and Yaris are not tye same...

They aren't the same. As Jan says, the rear arb has been combined into one torsion bar strut between the rear axles. I seem to remember the p1 Yaris had a separate rear arb.

The front configuration has been redesigned too. Although it is a pair of struts and an arb, it isn't the same as the Yaris. Maybe there is some PSA influence in the design.

That's not to say that aftermarket Yaris coilovers definitely won't fit on the front, don't know for sure. And you can separately sort out the rear spring and damper.

I've been looking to get my Aygo suspension stiffened up for the racing this year, so last week I took the car to Track Developments (a race tuning company) to see if there was anything they could do. They measured the suspension geometry and weighed the car to get the corner weights (820kg with 80% fuel, roughly).

My car has Toyota lowering springs and this is pretty much exactly the optimal height for the chassis. We also might want the springs to be soft-ish to keep the tyres in constant contact with the road under braking on an airfield circuit.

So the plan is to look into adding stronger dampers and stiffer arbs. On the front you could swap the arb for a stiffer one, but you need custom work to get the struts modified to have adjustable dampers. Can be done, though.

It is the rear where we are scratching our heads. It is easy to replace the dampers with adjustable ones. But stiffening the torsion bar is an engineering challenge. There is no obvious place to add an arb and even if you do find a plan then you have a job to calculate the combined stiffness of the suspension.

I'll post if we sort anything out. But if anybody has any ideas, then please share B)

Now the wheels: Yaris p1 14in wheels will fit, but the Aygo bolts won't. You need to make some custom bolts with a flat face to fit the Yaris wheels. The offset is also not quite there, 45 on the Yaris vs. about 37 on the Aygo.

If you want 14in wheels, probably the best bet is something like the OZ Superturismo WRC which seem to go straight onto the Aygo. If I ever manage to sell my Yaris wheels I'll probably go for those.

Paul.

=/ bummer i can only find 35mm springs i wanted to go for about 40 45mm

slam it to the ground would be nice i am abit of a boyracer =]

i might just get the 35mm springs and some nice 15 inch rims.

ive had the frt number plate moved to bottom part of the grill and rear debadged and all holes filled and smothed =] just the dam wheels

still on good old steelys

=D

thanks anyway dude

Phill=]

Yeah paul there must be a PSA influence in it and thats why its got such good roadhandling ! do you think polyurethane bushes would help? suspension wise i dont really see the need for uprated shocks as the original ones seem to do wonders with the original springs lowered.

Yeah paul there must be a PSA influence in it and thats why its got such good roadhandling ! do you think polyurethane bushes would help? suspension wise i dont really see the need for uprated shocks as the original ones seem to do wonders with the original springs lowered.

It could be that my shocks are worn, although only done 20k, but I get speed wobble through faster corners which I could do without.

Speaking to one supplier today, if we could sign up 20 Aygo / C1 / 107 owners prepared to hand over a deposit, we could get proper suspension made up.

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...
It is the rear where we are scratching our heads. It is easy to replace the dampers with adjustable ones. But stiffening the torsion bar is an engineering challenge. There is no obvious place to add an arb and even if you do find a plan then you have a job to calculate the combined stiffness of the suspension.

I'll post if we sort anything out. But if anybody has any ideas, then please share B)

Toyotas paper work says the Aygo suspension is a developed from the Yaris, but the angles all differ.

The rear is definitely a problem. The inverted V shaped bar of the trailing arm means semi independent rear suspension. This V bar is also crucial to the toe correct function (the trailing arm bushes are mounted at angle), which why you don't get any lift-off oversteer. Here are some options;

-Install mounting bolts in the Aygo trailing arm so you can experiment with generic anti-roll bars (arb)

-manufacture your own inverted V bar, remove the original and weld the new on into place. Making your own is no easy task. I don't think the stiffness of the arbs is in the paper work, so you'll have to experiment with some sort of test rig before taking a blow torch to the Aygo

-Install air suspension. They are sold as kits, which include a compressor and reservoir. This is a little expensive, but far cheaper a more effective than a custom hydraulic system. Usually the air suspension fits around the original dampers. The clever part is that it can be set up to firm up the side under load, so you end up with the same effect as an intelligent arb. Very comfy !

which why you don't get any lift-off oversteer.

There's loads of lift-off oversteer, why do people keep saying there isn't :lol:

Thanks for the list of options. I think air suspension would add too much weight, but the team are going to have a look this week and let me know what can be done. Will post when I have news.

Paul.

• 1 month later...
which why you don't get any lift-off oversteer.

There's loads of lift-off oversteer, why do people keep saying there isn't :lol:

Thanks for the list of options. I think air suspension would add too much weight, but the team are going to have a look this week and let me know what can be done. Will post when I have news.

Paul.

anything new about this paul?

anything new about this paul?

We have welded a strip along the open side of the rear torsion bar, effectively making it a closed triangle beam and therefore much stiffer. Only an extra 1kg in weight, but it makes a big difference.

I didn't want to post until I had tried it out for a while, but all looks good. It makes the ride a bit harsher, but the cornering is much improved. Better turn in, and only three wheels on the ground if you really push :D

I tried it at Barkston a couple of weeks ago on the road tyres and it shaved 2-4 seconds / minute off the last outing with road tyres there. There was a big improvement in predictability and you can really feel the outside rear wheel working in a turn.

I haven't been able to get the track wheels and tyres on yet, but I'm hoping that will be sorted tomorrow. Will post when I get a chance to try them.

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links