Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Speed Through The Gears ?

mick1020

Thinking about it (doesn't come naturally), the peak power on number 1 is between 3500 and 5500rpm. On the quarter miles, the best times I get is when I change gear on 5500rpm, so there is something supporting what Fujisan said. The CT26 turbo drops boost above this speed, although it does work well from 2000rpm. When I get the car onto the rolling road - soon I hope - I'll post up the result.

Out of interest, what is your latest / best quarter mile time Bothy?

Thinking about it (doesn't come naturally), the peak power on number 1 is between 3500 and 5500rpm. On the quarter miles, the best times I get is when I change gear on 5500rpm, so there is something supporting what Fujisan said. The CT26 turbo drops boost above this speed, although it does work well from 2000rpm. When I get the car onto the rolling road - soon I hope - I'll post up the result.

Out of interest, what is your latest / best quarter mile time Bothy?

The latest run was 31 August when I got down to 15.0 seconds. This using smaller diameter tyres so the speedo is 10-12% optimistic. No matter what I try, the exit speed is still stuck around 90mph. The launch 0-60' bit I think is 2 seconds - and I know from competing against other cars that I'm one of the fastest off the line.

I'm hoping to get the car on a rolling road soon to see whats happening as the 1st 1/8 is fast but the 2nd 1/8 is only getting from 70mph to 90 mph....its a mixture of the transmission drag and the capability of the stock CT26 turbo I reckon but a run on the rolling road should give us a graph to work on.

Interestingly, number 2 RAV conversion which has now been completed has potential to be faster as we've learnt from the 1st conversion. The charge intercooler is far more efficient, by using a larger radiator up front, resulting in the intercooler itself running cold. Number 1s intercooler runs quite warm (hot). Just waiting for number 2 to get through its 'commissioning trials'!

Good luck sorting out the final 1/8th. Still a cracking time.

The rolling road results should be interesting, especially for No2 with the better intercooler. :thumbsup:

Good luck sorting out the final 1/8th. Still a cracking time.

The rolling road results should be interesting, especially for No2 with the better intercooler. :thumbsup:

number 1 was on the rolling road today...... what seems the main issue is its running too rich at the higher revs. New Apexi management system perhaps was suggested. Will discuss the results with the guys at the garage tomorrow - it measured 167bhp at the wheels which is lower than we expected, so some checks to be done on that one. Several other minor things with the plug leads, and boost control. As expected the torque maxes at 3800rpm and the CT26 turbo drops off at 5800rpm. However the bhp should be a bit higher. As you say, it will be interesting to compare number 1 with number 2.

What does 167 bhp at the wheels equate to at the flywheel? :unsure:

What does 167 bhp at the wheels equate to at the flywheel? :unsure:

The boost got altered by mistake during some work last year and went unnoticed..... so it was only running at just over 10psi - it should be up at 19psi. The result was the AFR (Air fuel ratio) was at 9:1 rather than 12:1 which it should be...hence the dramatic tail off on torque after 3600rpm....it was running awash with fuel.

We reckon from the guys experiences that the bhp at the wheel should be running close to 200 and that the transmission is gobbling around 80bhp as I'm using the diff lock.

In the short term, will bring boost back up, check out air intake and consider an Apexi Power unit to manage the system a bit better and allow better tuning......to see what we can squeeze out the CT26.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links