Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Speed Through The Gears ?

mick1020

Does anyone know what speed you should be doing or RPM when changing up gears in a 2.2D4D ( on the flat )

As im new to owning a desiel i was wondering wether i was labouring the engine at times .

Thanks all :thumbsup:

If you driving for economy, then up to 2000rpm in each gear seems to be the agreed figure on here.

When I was driving like Miss Daisy I did take 1st and 2nd to 2500rpm and then 2000rpm for the rest.

For "normal" driving, max torque is between 2000 - 2800 rpm, so not much point going beyond 3000 rpm tops.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Does anyone know what speed you should be doing or RPM when changing up gears in a 2.2D4D ( on the flat )

As im new to owning a desiel i was wondering wether i was labouring the engine at times .

Thanks all :thumbsup:

I agree with Fujisan, on my T180 I was getting quite a hesitation around 13/1400 revs, when I used a lot of throttle, and took it back to my dealer - after a long road test said all was well, told me that the turbo comes in about 1700 revs - never had the problem again since I rev it a bit more, it is fine going from low revs and little throttle.

Hope it helps,

Guy

:thumbsup: Thanx all , will try changing up at 2000rpm

hahahahaha

thats the engine speed I let the clutch out !! Does tend to lift off the front wheels right enough!

hahahahaha

thats the engine speed I let the clutch out !! Does tend to lift off the front wheels right enough!

Hahahahahah i bet , i used to do the same in my petrol celica !!!!!!!

Tried the changing up at 2000 rpm today for over 100 miles and the OBC went up to 48 mpg ...so i rise of 3 mpg ......

So the advise was brill THANX :thumbsup: But how long i can keep it ups another THING :D

hahahahaha

Tried the changing up at 2000 rpm today for over 100 miles and the OBC went up to 48 mpg ...so i rise of 3 mpg ......

So the advise was brill THANX :thumbsup: But how long i can keep it ups another THING :D

There is no set speed for changing gear in any car. This is the type of formality you would expect an inexperienced woman driver to follow. On the Rav in normal conditions you can comfortably move from 1st to 2nd, then to 4th and 6th. without any problem. The Rav will behave happily in any gear at 1200 r.p.m.

hahahahaha

There is no set speed for changing gear in any car. This is the type of formality you would expect an inexperienced woman driver to follow. On the Rav in normal conditions you can comfortably move from 1st to 2nd, then to 4th and 6th. without any problem. The Rav will behave happily in any gear at 1200 r.p.m.

I have a gear change indicator in my 4.3...When the wifes teeth start rattling + she screams louder than usual I change gear.. :thumbsup:

Your poor engine labouring away in 6th gear at only just above tickover! :blink:

If you want to drive a four speed car get yourself a 70's Cortina!

It's six speed for a good reason or is that many gears to complicated for you!

Your poor engine labouring away in 6th gear at only just above tickover! :blink:

:backofnet::lol::lol:

The engine does not labour, I would never make it do that. Anyone who needs to constantly look at the rev counter to determine the speed at which to change gear, knows very little about engines. Changing gear is dependant on road conditions linked to the sound of the engine. For those of you who like to play 'George Leigh Mallorys' with their gear box, that is using a gear because it is there, please continue by all means; but it is a waste of effort !!!

The engine does not labour, I would never make it do that. Anyone who needs to constantly look at the rev counter to determine the speed at which to change gear, knows very little about engines. Changing gear is dependant on road conditions linked to the sound of the engine. For those of you who like to play 'George Leigh Mallorys' with their gear box, that is using a gear because it is there, please continue by all means; but it is a waste of effort !!!

Quite agree !!

The punto goes from 2nd gear to 5th whilst keeping the foot down on the accelarator and if yer quick enough, ye don't need the clutch either.

We're on our 4th clutch and 2nd gearbox right enuf!

I must admit I change gear by the sound of the engine. The D4D is quite relaxing because it will lug quite happily but I find no benefit in racing the engine much above 3000 as the torque falls off.

I use all 6 gears because firstly I don't want to impose any undue stress on the dmf (even if it take several years to manifest any damage I will mitigate that situation as much as I can) and secondly you have a gear to make the most use of the revs throughout the range of speeds.

You can see in this chart that the highest torque is between about 1800 and 3000ish rpm and then seriously falls of either side. You should keep the revs there for best power and economy but with little practice you will do it by ear rather than watching the rev counter.

140power.jpg

Anyone who needs to constantly look at the rev counter to determine the speed at which to change gear, knows very little about engines.

So I take it that you think that you are a better driver than current F1 champion Lewis Hamilton, multiple F1 world champion Michael Schumacher, multiple World Rally Champion Sebastian Loeb and just about everyone else in top level motorsport who now change gear according to the revs the engine is doing, usually indicated by a series of green then red lights set within the steering wheel. :lol::lol:

I must admit I change gear by the sound of the engine.

Yes, I agree with you AM and you John, experience will train the ear and changing gear at the correct point (yes, for the road / weather conditions) will become second nature but the orginal poster is new to the D4D and asked for a little guidence and that was all that was given, not a set of hard and fast rules, helpful guidence. :thumbsup:

The D4D is quite relaxing because it will lug quite happily but I find no benefit in racing the engine much above 3000 as the torque falls off.

I use all 6 gears because firstly I don't want to impose any undue stress on the dmf (even if it take several years to manifest any damage I will mitigate that situation as much as I can) and secondly you have a gear to make the most use of the revs throughout the range of speeds.

A very good point :yes::thumbsup:

You can see in this chart that the highest torque is between about 1800 and 3000ish rpm and then seriously falls of either side. You should keep the revs there for best power and economy but with little practice you will do it by ear rather than watching the rev counter.

Oh yes agreed :thumbsup:

I bet none of the aforementioned pay much attention to the lights - they 'feel the car'. That is what sets them out from the rest

I bet none of the aforementioned pay much attention to the lights - they 'feel the car'. That is what sets them out from the rest

Maybe true :lol:

Until they lunch the engine at 20,000rpm and spent the rest of the afternoon explaining to the engineers just how it happened. :lol::lol::lol:

Hi all,

It would be very good if Anchorman could put up the three power curves on one posting - 2.0L petrol, & the two diesel as they show the very different power & torque curves.

Some years ago the 'cross over' point of the curves was the best compromise power/torque point certainly in my earlier days with powerful petrol engines.

Guy

Thinking about it (doesn't come naturally), the peak power on number 1 is between 3500 and 5500rpm. On the quarter miles, the best times I get is when I change gear on 5500rpm, so there is something supporting what Fujisan said. The CT26 turbo drops boost above this speed, although it does work well from 2000rpm. When I get the car onto the rolling road - soon I hope - I'll post up the result.

Anyone who needs to constantly look at the rev counter to determine the speed at which to change gear, knows very little about engines.

So I take it that you think that you are a better driver than current F1 champion Lewis Hamilton, multiple F1 world champion Michael Schumacher, multiple World Rally Champion Sebastian Loeb and just about everyone else in top level motorsport who now change gear according to the revs the engine is doing, usually indicated by a series of green then red lights set within the steering wheel. :lol::lol:

I must admit I change gear by the sound of the engine.

Yes, I agree with you AM and you John, experience will train the ear and changing gear at the correct point (yes, for the road / weather conditions) will become second nature but the orginal poster is new to the D4D and asked for a little guidence and that was all that was given, not a set of hard and fast rules, helpful guidence. :thumbsup:

Thanks Fujisan . thats all i wanted some guidence as i am new to the D4D :thumbsup: and it worked !!!!!!!!!

The D4D is quite relaxing because it will lug quite happily but I find no benefit in racing the engine much above 3000 as the torque falls off.

A very good point :yes::thumbsup:

Oh yes agreed :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks Fujisan , like you said im new to the D4D i will try not to ask any more questions like that hahahahahahah But cannot promise !!!!!! :rolleyes:

Now Then! Now Then boys, Me being a bit of a Thicko, didn't know who George Leigh Mallory was, quick look at Wikipedia Turns out he climbed Everest, so i now understand Johns reference..At base camp he changed gear from shorts +a T shirt, into a fleece, at his next stop he changed gear again + put his boots + longjohns on, midway up he again changed gear + this time donned his berghaus, by the time he reached the summit he was in his sixth lot of gear, having boycotted the 5th change of gear on the way.. :unsure::unsure: (quite simple really) :thumbsup:

Now Then! Now Then boys, Me being a bit of a Thicko, didn't know who George Leigh Mallory was, quick look at Wikipedia Turns out he climbed Everest, so i now understand Johns reference..At base camp he changed gear from shorts +a T shirt, into a fleece, at his next stop he changed gear again + put his boots + longjohns on, midway up he again changed gear + this time donned his berghaus, by the time he reached the summit he was in his sixth lot of gear, having boycotted the 5th change of gear on the way.. :unsure::unsure: (quite simple really) :thumbsup:

For your info Local Hero, George Leigh Mallory fell to his death just below the summit of Everest, possibly on his way down. I guess he made the mistake of selecting first coming out from the top !!!

Kindest regards

Strangely enough John, if you click the wikipedia link item 4.3 refers to the difficult 2nd step, now we all know on a 4.3 the step from 1st to 2nd is very difficult, seems old George new a thing or two about Ravs..(spooky)

Strangely enough John, if you click the wikipedia link item 4.3 refers to the difficult 2nd step, now we all know on a 4.3 the step from 1st to 2nd is very difficult, seems old George new a thing or two about Ravs..(spooky)

May well be his traction control was playing up as well. Do you have problems Local Hero going from first to second. Speaking seriously for a moment, I find that if you take it slowly and put a bit of leftward pressure on the change, it all works smoothly.

Thanks Fujisan . thats all i wanted some guidence as i am new to the D4D :thumbsup: and it worked !!!!!!!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks Fujisan , like you said im new to the D4D i will try not to ask any more questions like that hahahahahahah But cannot promise !!!!!! :rolleyes:

My pleasure Mick :thumbsup:

That's why we are here, to help each other enjoy our RAV's just a little bit more.

Anymore questions, please do not hesitate to ask, I'm sure you will find somebody here who can help. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links