Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Door Strap

fuzzyphil

Hi, I'm about to take delivery of an 05 plate RAV4 with a door that doesnt open all the way. I am aware of the door strap that will allow full opening but was wondering if anybody had had any luck finding an appropriate red light to install into the end facing oncoming traffic. Also a light in the base of the door that lights the floor up would be handy. Also if one is available where is the best place to take the live feed from? Any suggestions.

Hi, I'm about to take delivery of an 05 plate RAV4 with a door that doesnt open all the way. I am aware of the door strap that will allow full opening but was wondering if anybody had had any luck finding an appropriate red light to install into the end facing oncoming traffic. Also a light in the base of the door that lights the floor up would be handy. Also if one is available where is the best place to take the live feed from? Any suggestions.

Good morning fuzzyphil. And welcome to the forum.

In noticing that you hadn't had a reply within 3 hours, I feel compelled to offer my infinite wisdom....

Generally lights come in lots of different guises.....but nowadays, there are a load of LED low power lights which are excellent....you could even install dozens of them around the door!!! These things are available from Maplins and RS Components and many others. Or you can pay more and get a ready assembled light.

On the live feed bit - you need to decide when /how you want the things to work/come on - which will then dictate which live feed you use.

I found a fairly flush fitting LED cluster but the trouble is if you want to be entirely street legal the light has to be e marked. If you trawl around scrap yards you may find a light the fits into a drivers door for when it is opened but to be honest if somebody is going to run into it with the door open there is a pretty good chance they would run into it with the door closed and the lights off. It is a bit over the top in my opinion and I settled for this red reflective tape which shows up like a light in the dark;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...st&p=702729

Thanks for the tips so far.

I'm wondering if there is any other Toyota model that uses a rear door light that can be modified maybe.

Also does anybody know if it is an actual legal requirement to put a light on the rear door or if just a good quality reflector would suffice - in fact does anything need to be on the door end by law?

I have little oblong (about 2"x1") reflectors on all 5 doors, self stick + very cheap + if you want extra light in your boot without extensive wiring, Osram popitts, led bulbs 1000 hrs Battery life; my 4.2 which my brother now owns as had them in for 5yrs About £10 for three + again self stick, prob not the professional way of doing it but hey! they work :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips so far.

I'm wondering if there is any other Toyota model that uses a rear door light that can be modified maybe.

Also does anybody know if it is an actual legal requirement to put a light on the rear door or if just a good quality reflector would suffice - in fact does anything need to be on the door end by law?

To follow the letter of the law your door would have to be fitted with an e marked light in line with the one on the left side.

Your options are to not bother with the 90 deg check strap or don't woory about it. For info the proper Toyota check strap has a detent at the 60 deg position where the normal check strap limits the opening. If push come to shove always leave it in that position during darkness.

Its a big jobsworth requirement to be honest. Even if you have a lift up door like an X Trail you would probably stand in front of the light while you are unloading. What do the Type Approval people suggest then - an e marked light on your @rse?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links