Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Towing

jaenjays

Can anyone tell me how there Rav 4 D4D handles towing a caravan.I was told the Rav is not very suitable for towing.I am a novice at caravanning and towing.And also would anyone know roughly the price of a tow bar to be fitted.

Thanks Jean

Can anyone tell me how there Rav 4 D4D handles towing a caravan.I was told the Rav is not very suitable for towing.I am a novice at caravanning and towing.And also would anyone know roughly the price of a tow bar to be fitted.

Thanks Jean

I've got a 2004 xt2 so bog basic. I tow my caravan a lot with it with minimal difficulty. As a tow car it's great. I think it even won a tow car of the year award a few years ago. (Could be wrong though). The only thing it doesn't like is reversing as it makes the clutch smell. However this is a minimal problem and not unique to the Rav. IMHO got for it it should be fine. the van I tow is 1991 Compas Omega 430.

The 02 D4D was best towcar in in it's class for that years Caravan Club towcar tests so it's more than capable within it's weight limits if you stick to the 85% guidelines. I tow a 1500kg van with an 07 D4D and it's superb tow though the later 4.3 models have got a weight and power advantage over the earlier 4.2 ones.

My mate tows with a 4.2 diesel all the way to Portugal and he loves it.

I did a lot of research before buying mine and didn't find any negative comments on towing. Can't wait to get a tow bar fitted and then roll on Summer :cheers:

Thank you all for replying.What a fantastic forum this is.My hubby is in a classic car forum and he didnt get one reply from a question he asked.Well done Rav 4 forum.Many thanks

Jean

Except the dog on the bonnet. Even the Dunnock on the door mirror was pushing his luck!!!

I use my Rav4 T180 for towing my Coachman Caravan which is 5m long and weighs 1500kg loaded.

The engine is fantastic and easily tows even in 6th gear! I have been down to Spain and Portugal and even on the A7 which is renound for high winds the car stays firmly in control even at 70mph with cruise control on.

You might not have the BHP with your Rav but it is a very stable tow car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links