Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Gx

Cen

I have just bought a RAV 4 GX on a "V" plate (2000) 2ltr petrol although will not be picking it up until the middle of the week having requested a new tyre (looks like tracking is out) and a new MOT from the dealer.

In fairness the car is mint having had to previous owners and a genuine mileage of 45,000

Can anyone assist with specifcations? I am aware the model is fitted with ABS, air conditioning etc etc and I having browsed this forum have noted the model changed during that year and so would the engine have.

I am attempting to find out if I have the vvti engine or the older version (not a big fan of cambelt) I believe the vvti went back to the chain. I can post a link to the dealer showing a picture of the vehicle would this help someone identify the model and maybe confirm what engine is fitted?

I would be grateful if anyone could also list or give a link to the full specifications on this model.

Thanks to all in anticipation of replies to questions posed.

Thanks Anchorman but mine is the GX wish it were the VX to avoid the cambelt.

Is the 3SFE engine a damagable motor should the belt go? Any known problems with this engine? Any quick fixes to up the hp like an induction kit etc?

Looks like I had better get the cambelt changed not because of the mileage (45k) but the age not knowing if it as been changed at all.

If you still have any doubts about which model you have, try posting some photos of it and we will be able

to tell you for definite and then answer questions :thumbsup:

Well if it is a 3FSE then yes it is an "interference" engine and it will make all sorts of strange noises if it breaks. Other than that they can suffer oil leaks but are generally quite reliable.

There is a completely mad scot called Bothwell Buyer who has had quite a lot to do with them. He'll be out making the Off Licence feel like the credit crunch is over (at least he won't be gassing everybody with his land rover because that won't start unless the ambient is more than 25C). He will advise you better on his return.

He has 2 4.1s which are quicker than a RAF Typhoon - you'll get to know with time!

PS His LR came from South Wales - you didn't sell it to him did you? (cash on a garage forecourt whilst wearing a mohair coat) because he wants a word with the last owner.

Thanks Anchorman

No not had anything to do with a Land Rover of any description and don't own a mohair coat ^_^ however, with total respect to the chap he may not want to speak to rather communicate with a Welshman come 5 o'clock this afternoon following Scotland v Wales at Murrayfield. England didn't look impressive against Italy yesterday but the Irish looked full of confidence and a threat to Wales.

I don't do football or ruggers but our scot is very territorial on such matters. He gets so emotive that we have had to build Hadrians Wall back up to more like the Great Wall of China to stop him coming on revenge missions. However, that could very much benefit the guy that sold him the LR although I think if he knew just how to get his hands on him he would burrow under.

Bothy is much like Baloo. As nice as pie but you wouldn't want to tangle with him!

Your Rav4 will be a early model, we call that a RAV4.1 the early shape was made until 31 /10/2000 and Can also be found on a W reg, the engine will be the 126 bhp 3S-FE engine, which is a twincam engine but runs only one top camshaft pulley,this makes diy cam belt changing easier.

The last of the early models came with all the toys, so ABS and air-con should be standard, when you get some time post a few photo's up....and welcome to the club :)

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=10581

haha

I chuckled at this one! I've been involved on the sidelines so to speak of the bold SRU and it came as no surprise that Wales gubbed Scotland - my cousin coaches a Welsh Regional team in North wales - the WRU is sooooooooo far advanced that they deserve to do well!!

On the 3SFE engine, I have had a 1994 4.1 from new. The 3SFE engine lasted 150,000 miles before it gave out. My daughters had the car by then and it had a gross oil leak from the front crankshaft seal. I guessed they forgot to top up the oil, but it may have been the cambelt. Whatever - the engine was well stiff and I swapped another 3SFE engine in....but as I got the car back from the daughters, I decided to rebuild it with a turbo 3SGTE engine - and had 5 other examples around the world to learn from --- none in Europe.

The 3SFE engine shoves out around 126/127bhp depending on what you read - at the time the 3 door 4.1 model was pretty quick given its gearing in 1st and 2nd gear. To be honest, theres not a lot you can do to the 3SFE. It uses the same block as the Toyota racing engine which was detuned and fitted in the turbo MR2s and GT4s = the 3SGTE. This engine will fit in and I have 2 of them now. There is a bit of work involved, although the engine bolts straight onto the gearbox; you need a donor car as the wiring loom is required along with the ecu and other bits.

The 3SFE engine isn't one which I've seen much modding on. You can get marginal improvement from inlet and exhaust but to be honest I think its a waste of money.

With my number1 up at Crail race track today, running 14psi boost and the standard ecu for the engine but with timing advanced, I got a 2 second launch time ( 0-60') and down to 14.8 second 1/4 mile. To get further, I need to replace the standard ecu to sort out the pig-rich fuel-air ratio and take the boost up a little more. The terminal speed was up to 93mph.

The 4.1 transmission is good for, I believe, 350bhp. We reckon number1 is running about 280+bhp just now....compared to the 127bhp of the standard engine.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links