Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aux Input For Stereo

BridgeMR2

Hi! I've recently become the proud owner of a 2003 MR2 Roadster and it has the standard stereo installed. I think it might be the 58805 head unit (not 100% sure of that).

I had seen somewhere that you can get an aux (phono) adapter that plugs into one of the rear sockets (cd multichanger one?) and will allow me to plug in an mp3 player. I've been searching on the net but have been struggling to find one that will definitely work.... don't want to buy the wrong thing and waste my cash. Can anyone point me in the right direction for where I can get the right thing?

No Idea on the connector, but why not fit a new MP3 Headunit with ipod compatabilty?, that way you get your MP3's and the benefit of a better stereo.

There're two types of Toyota CD changer-port connector; An older one which is about an inch and a bit wide and quite chunky, and a newer one which is closer to a centimetre and a bit wide.

As long as you pick the unit with the right connector then it should work; The electronics themselves seem pretty generically compatible. The only other caveat is that you may need a Y-cable harness if your CD Changer port is already occupied by something.

I got one of these (It has a diagram of the two different plug-types about half-way down the blurb):

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?prod...t=11&page=1

...and at the bottom of this page is the Y-cable harness:

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=11

If you only need a 3.5mm jack, there are cheaper ones out there 'tho; Google is your friend! :)

The only reason I got this is because I wanted to keep the controls on my steering wheel (Most third-party head units are not compatible with the wheel controls), but if you don't have that problem then you can replace the whole unit with a better one. Do read the various guides on this site and others if you do go down that route 'tho!

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up following the advice of cfc1 and replaced the head unit with one that has a usb input etc. Was really straight forward to change following the various guides that I found through this site. Bonus too that changing the stereo has virtually cost me nothing as I managed to shift the Toyota one on eBay for a cracking price! The sound is much better now, even with the standard Speakers.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links