Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Verso D4d - Jerky Acceleration When Cold, Then Mil

linkbox8

I've got a 2001 Avensis Verso D4D. When the engine is cold, fast acceleration is 'jerky' around 2500rpm (e.g. when I pull on to the dual carriageway near my house, and need to accelerate quickly). If I try to accelerate too quickly, the yellow Engine Warning Light comes on, and the car goes into limp mode. Turning the engine off then on again clears the light, and then I can go again.

If I don't accelerate quickly then it is fine (so is OK for gentle acceleration around town). Also once the engine has warmed up, there is no problem.

I'm pretty new to these forums and have been ready old posts describing similar issues (e.g. turbo problems? suction control valves?). But I'm not sure if they are describing the same as me: only when the engine is cold; only under hard acceleration.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this? I don't want to go to a garage who'll just keep replacing parts on a 'try it and see' basis as I can't afford that!

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

There are a few posts on this subject, it seems to be related to the behaviour of the turbo. Changing the turbo is very expensive, and it is a delicate part anyway. Hard accelaration with cold engine is not recommended in any turbocharged engine.

This defect occurs in my Avrnsis verso D4-D as well...

• 10 months later...

Just wondering if you got your problem sorted as I have the same problem with my avensis verso and the mechanic is telling me I need a new turbo which I dont think I need. Please update me on your situation. Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links