Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Setting Tracking After Lowering With Springs

Froston

On the mitsubishi colt owners club i read:

"After you have had it lowered you need the front tracking reset and also the rear camber and tracking.(yes you read it correctly rear tracking).

Now if you lower your car by fitting lowering springs and stiffened suspension and change it's ride height, you can have quite an effect on the camber. The following shows how much you'll change the camber by;

Lowered By Camber change

1 inch (~25mm) -0.84°

2 inches (~50mm) -2.12°

3 inches (~75mm) -3.86°

So you can see that if you stick those lowering springs on your car and don't get your suspension geometry checked you'll be out of the recommended tollerances straight away. I can personnaly vouch for this as we had excessive inner tyre wear on our car with it's (previously unbeknown to us) camber setting of about -4° !

this has been taken from the fto oc where the site owner spent alot of time working on developments for the fto suspension and came out with this result.i'll leave it all up to yourselves to decide if you need to alter the geometry after the car has been lowered.i know what i'll be doing"

Should we do this for Toyota's aswell? :ffs:

Thats sound right to me mate, after getting mine lowered 40mm the tracking was a mile out :yes: Only showed up as the weather got worse and the roads got greasier :thumbsup:

Oh right i never knew that :wacko:

so who/where does it? the same place that fits the springs?

what is actually involved in the "resetting?"

Oh right i never knew that :wacko:

so who/where does it? the same place that fits the springs?

what is actually involved in the "resetting?"

Any decent tyre fitting place can do it. I tend to stick with the independent ones not the nationals like Kwik Fit etc As I'm in the trade and know a few.

"After you have had it lowered you need the front tracking reset and also the rear camber and tracking.(yes you read it correctly rear tracking).

Some cars have adjustable rear tracking, castor and camber. Some don't.

Even cars that don't have a spec, so people can check to see if their axle isn't damaged

Any decent tyre fitting place can do it. I tend to stick with the independent ones not the nationals like Kwik Fit etc As I'm in the trade and know a few.

Cool - so how much will they charge to do this - and how much is the "going rate" of fitting springs anyway???

Thanx. Frost.

Just found out from my m8 that it cost him £40 to get the tracking reset. That about right? How much would it cost to get your springs fitted cos he did it himself and i dont really trust him to do mine :unsure:

I paid £85 for fitting springs but thats quite high.

Tracking was £20 or £30 I think but I want to get a full balance, tracking, four wheel alignment done at some point.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links