Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Oil Pressure

nigs18

I have a 52 plate vvti vermont. Always drunk oil. Complained when it was still in warranty but as told I have to prove it used more than 1litre/ 1000 and i would cost me alot of money to check this out. AT the time it was debatable whether it always uses this amount so I took their advice. :angry:

Over the years the problem did get worse until I have been putting oil every fortnight. The oil pressure light is now coming on and the engine is making a vibrating noise even though the oil level is high. The noise and oil pressure warning light come on infrequently and the car sounds fine inbetween these episodes (every couple of mins))

Ive taken it to my local garage as I wasnt impressed with my local Toyota main garages He has changed the oil switch? (im not at all technical) cleaned it out but still no better. He is going to take the sump off tomorrow and check some more filters(?). He thinks it may be teminal. :(

Unfortunately I have missed a few services so cant moan to toyota. Its only 7yrs old 115K and Ive never had a problem with it. Best car Ive ever had for maintanance. Any ideas

Thanks

I have a 52 plate vvti vermont. Always drunk oil. Complained when it was still in warranty but as told I have to prove it used more than 1litre/ 1000 and i would cost me alot of money to check this out. AT the time it was debatable whether it always uses this amount so I took their advice. :angry:

Over the years the problem did get worse until I have been putting oil every fortnight. The oil pressure light is now coming on and the engine is making a vibrating noise even though the oil level is high. The noise and oil pressure warning light come on infrequently and the car sounds fine inbetween these episodes (every couple of mins))

Ive taken it to my local garage as I wasnt impressed with my local Toyota main garages He has changed the oil switch? (im not at all technical) cleaned it out but still no better. He is going to take the sump off tomorrow and check some more filters(?). He thinks it may be teminal. :(

Unfortunately I have missed a few services so cant moan to toyota. Its only 7yrs old 115K and Ive never had a problem with it. Best car Ive ever had for maintanance. Any ideas

Thanks

Hi,

If I was you, I would try using Lucas Heavy Oil Stabilizer. It is a fantastic product for reviving engines on their way out. It can help with oil pressure, worn pistons etc. In a previous post I advised

"I have a 1.6 VVTi 2001. After buying it I was told about the engine problems & consumption. I Have used a product called Lucas Oil Stabiliser is great for helping with problems like the Avensis have. I have used it in an Alfa Romeo 156, Rover 620 with great results, I recommend it to friends & family.

I have found if you use Lucas Oil Stabiliser, aprox 20-30% of the total oil volume of the engine, then there is no problem with consumption at all in the Avensis. I have done 5000 miles since using the stabiliser & have not had to top up at all. I found out after buying the Avensis, the former owner had problems with consumption & that's why he got rid of it.

My MPG has gone up from 38.2 to 44.6 in the Avensis.

I bought it off eBay. I've had a look & it is still available by several sellers for about £16.

Lucas's site is http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...=7&loc=show it will advise what it can do as can the eBay listing

Hope this helps you make up your mind. thumbsup.gif

All you have to loose is £16, if it works, It's a cheap fix, if not it will help you sell it on.

A friend of mines sister, had a Rover 25 that had lost the sump plug & damage occurred. She was told it was knackered. My friend took a bottle I had, put it in & it made a tremendous difference & she is still running the car today almost 2 years later.

I know it sounds unbelievable, but it is fantastic stuff, which I swear by now.

In your case, I would add 1/2 a bottle & see how you get on. I checked my oil again yesterday & still don't need to add oil.

Cheers,

Marv

Thanks

Hi,

If I was you, I would try using Lucas Heavy Oil Stabilizer. It is a fantastic product for reviving engines on their way out. It can help with oil pressure, worn pistons etc. In a previous post I advised

"I have a 1.6 VVTi 2001. After buying it I was told about the engine problems & consumption. I Have used a product called Lucas Oil Stabiliser is great for helping with problems like the Avensis have. I have used it in an Alfa Romeo 156, Rover 620 with great results, I recommend it to friends & family.

I have found if you use Lucas Oil Stabiliser, aprox 20-30% of the total oil volume of the engine, then there is no problem with consumption at all in the Avensis. I have done 5000 miles since using the stabiliser & have not had to top up at all. I found out after buying the Avensis, the former owner had problems with consumption & that's why he got rid of it.

I bought it off eBay. I've had a look & it is still available by several sellers for about £16.

Lucas's site is http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_p...=7&loc=show it will advise what it can do as can the eBay listing

All you have to loose is £16, if it works, It's a cheap fix, if not it will help you sell it on.

A friend of mines sister, had a Rover 25 that had lost the sump plug & damage occurred. She was told it was knackered. My friend took a bottle I had, put it in & it made a tremendous difference & she is still running the car today almost 2 years later.

In your case, I would add 1/2 a bottle & see how you get on. I checked my oil again yesterday & still don't need to add oil.

Cheers,

Marv

Hello Marv

I have just sent them a message from their web page.

I m gonna try it after have got it.

CHeers/Igor

Exactly why did the early vvt-i versions consume oil? Bad piston sealing or valveclosing? I mean, if a car is burning too much oil, then i assume it's because too much gets into the combustion chamber. Othervise we would see it again somewhere, right?

Exactly why did the early vvt-i versions consume oil? Bad piston sealing or valveclosing? I mean, if a car is burning too much oil, then i assume it's because too much gets into the combustion chamber. Othervise we would see it again somewhere, right?

hello

i ve been typing the reasons on here and even all interested can obtain this info providing with photoes (dismantled engine etc)

the problem is only with piston cooling lack resultomg skirt oil draining holes clogging with oil slag. and the oil is sucted into combustion chamber but not scrapped into the sump.

cheers/Igor

Thanks

Hi,

Cheers,

Marv

well i ve got a good question.

how does this chemical work? whether it melts this oil slag or what? if positive then it is really good one but if not -- i am not sure what exactly it does.

any suggestions????

cheers/Igor

Hi,

It's not a chemical, but a pure petroleum oil. It is a very heavy oil, like treacle & it seals the pistons etc, so the seals etc are fixed. The VVTI engine uses a very thin oil, which due to the fault in the early design allows the oil to leak. Once the seals are sealed the oil pressure etc comes back.

I know it sounds crap. When I first bought it I was sceptical & toyed about with the idea for weeks before buying it. But it is amazing to see it work. I even used it in my Alfa 156 on the gearbox, when the main bearing went. I managed to get an additional 3 months out of box before it packed in. The mechanic who looked at it advised I'd be lucky to get a week from the box due to it's condition.

It's one of those products, that until you try it, you won't believe it.

I don't blame people being cynical or disbelieving, as it sounds too good to be true.

Once nigs18 tries it, hopefully he will post how he gets on & people will give it a try. Then you will be :eek:

Marv :)

Hi,

It's not a chemical, but a pure petroleum oil. It is a very heavy oil, like treacle & it seals the pistons etc, so the seals etc are fixed. The VVTI engine uses a very thin oil, which due to the fault in the early design allows the oil to leak. Once the seals are sealed the oil pressure etc comes back.

I know it sounds crap. When I first bought it I was sceptical & toyed about with the idea for weeks before buying it. But it is amazing to see it work. I even used it in my Alfa 156 on the gearbox, when the main bearing went. I managed to get an additional 3 months out of box before it packed in. The mechanic who looked at it advised I'd be lucky to get a week from the box due to it's condition.

I don't blame people being cynical or disbelieving, as it sounds too good to be true.

Once nigs18 tries it, hopefully he will post how he gets on & people will give it a try. Then you will be :eek:

hi

there are two opposites:

- i used to check compression each service and now is it in good limits (15.5 - 15.6 kgf/cm2) of 16.0 as must be --> this confirmes all gaps are in limits;

- this additive formula does not clean the clogged drain holes.

and now what can you comment on the above? I would agree with you in cacse the engine is worn down with poor power, but the problem is another and i have all the prove basing on the photoes. you can type me a small email to (engine@seaborn.com.ua) -- I will send you clear pictures coloured confirming my point of view.

cheers/Igor

Hi,

yes and besides - i ve using the similar product called ROIAL (american branded as well) and no any positive results -- it is again confirms that the problem is other

cheers/Igor

Sounding pretty terminal. Suspect bearings are thoroughly shagged. Guess the dealer is checking the oil strainer and looking for debris in the gauze.

If oil level is ok but pressure light is flicking on it probably means there's a bearing gone somewhere and there's no back pressure to activate the switch.

If it's the above probably means a new engine.

Sounds like the first dealer was pretty poor to be honest. The 1L/1000mile check should have been done at their cost. All it involves is filling oil to full level on stick, driving 1000 miles and then seeing how much oil is needed to fill it back to the full mark. If it's over 1L then engine change. All they do is fill send you away and ask you to come back after 1000 miles.

I think the current guidelines for oil consumption claims are 7 years and 100,000miles HOWEVER the missed services will probably exclude you from that. Without the servicing the problems you've got could be directly attributable to it (unless oil is changed the contaminants build up until the oil stops working and no longer lubricates. Just adding more oil doesn't really help you have to drain out the contaminants. If the oil stops working it wrecks the bearings). Depending what they say when you get the engine stripped I'd try first of all to make a claim due to the oil consumption problem. If you can see if they'll do under the warranty extension for this problem. Expect to be turned down for it though. I think the best you could realistically expect is a contribution from Toyota towards the cost of replacement

Sounding pretty terminal. Suspect bearings are thoroughly shagged. Guess the dealer is checking the oil strainer and looking for debris in the gauze.

If oil level is ok but pressure light is flicking on it probably means there's a bearing gone somewhere and there's no back pressure to activate the switch.

If it's the above probably means a new engine.

Sounds like the first dealer was pretty poor to be honest. The 1L/1000mile check should have been done at their cost. All it involves is filling oil to full level on stick, driving 1000 miles and then seeing how much oil is needed to fill it back to the full mark. If it's over 1L then engine change. All they do is fill send you away and ask you to come back after 1000 miles.

I think the current guidelines for oil consumption claims are 7 years and 100,000miles HOWEVER the missed services will probably exclude you from that. Without the servicing the problems you've got could be directly attributable to it (unless oil is changed the contaminants build up until the oil stops working and no longer lubricates. Just adding more oil doesn't really help you have to drain out the contaminants. If the oil stops working it wrecks the bearings). Depending what they say when you get the engine stripped I'd try first of all to make a claim due to the oil consumption problem. If you can see if they'll do under the warranty extension for this problem. Expect to be turned down for it though. I think the best you could realistically expect is a contribution from Toyota towards the cost of replacement

Thoroughly agree with the above, sounds like the main bearings are poo-pooed. The vibration is probably the old 'mains rumble'.

As for the additive, sounds very much like the old 'STP' or 'Wynns' if anyone remembers them or is it only me that is that old?

Thanks

Hi,

Cheers,

Marv

ok - this is up-dating

I ve sent an email to LUCAS and shown a core of the oil using problem.

the official reply of the LUCAS is not available since last friday (!!!)

it means they can not offer remedy for this problem, but just offer normal product to hold an oil when the engine is worn down.

this again confirms the problem can only be rectified by means of short motor changing.

CHeers/Igor

• 4 months later...

Thanks

Hi, sorry only just arrived on the owners club, but i have an 02 avensis 1.8 vvti same concern with oil took it to my dealer in march expecting a huge bill as you do, but not this time, they changed the engine under warranty: they have extended the warranty period to 7 years due to problems with oil usage.

Extended warranty for this prob on 1.8 VVTi engines is 7 years or 112,500 miles whichever comes first.

Mart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links