Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Door Dunts

Bacon

Well the 6 day old RAV XT-R we parked out of the way in ASDA carpark while shopping now has a deep 2" long door dunt with about 1/4" of white paint on the passenger door. :angry: This dent is the worst I have seen as a door dunt in my 40 years of driving. If I didn't know better, I would say that someone went out of their way to do this? Anyway, I went back into the store and asked if they has cctv covering the carpark and they don't of course. So I guess we now know the car aint new anymore :huh: I did tell the security guy that I would be back to practice doughnuts on my bike now that I know the carpark is camera free ;)

I have a faint idea at the back of my mind that there are company's out there that remove small dents although I feel a quick note to Kingo for a price on the side protection rubbers to wallpaper over the crack may be the way forward even if I have to adjust the positioning.

I just don't understand why Toyota don't fit the door protectors as standard? Please don't say it's cost as it's peanuts in the cost of an XT-R :rolleyes:

There you go, stiff feel like strangling someone :angry:

Well the 6 day old RAV XT-R we parked out of the way in ASDA carpark while shopping now has a deep 2" long door dunt with about 1/4" of white paint on the passenger door. :angry: This dent is the worst I have seen as a door dunt in my 40 years of driving. If I didn't know better, I would say that someone went out of their way to do this? Anyway, I went back into the store and asked if they has cctv covering the carpark and they don't of course. So I guess we now know the car aint new anymore :huh: I did tell the security guy that I would be back to practice doughnuts on my bike now that I know the carpark is camera free ;)

I have a faint idea at the back of my mind that there are company's out there that remove small dents although I feel a quick note to Kingo for a price on the side protection rubbers to wallpaper over the crack may be the way forward even if I have to adjust the positioning.

I just don't understand why Toyota don't fit the door protectors as standard? Please don't say it's cost as it's peanuts in the cost of an XT-R :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear , there is some mindless people out there :(

Ive had 2 such repairs done to mine and they whare £80 each from a mobile DENTMASTER , they cannot be seen now .

Im also thinking hard about getting the side protecters as mine happened in ASDA and Guess what ??? No cctv coverage either !!!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Sorry to Hear about your misshap

It happened to me but by the time i came out they were long gone.

Its a good job they had left me a note with there name and address on (NOT) :arrgg-matey:

But come the revolition brother WE WILL HAVE OUR DAY!!!!

Is it creased or just dented?

An ASDA in Edinburgh - you must be joking - the place is far too posh for them!!! :lol: :lol:

Seein as you now ken theres nae cctv, try it out by ram-raiding the place with an ASDA trolley and see how far ye get!!

Try threateneing the asda manager with legal action under the Usurption of Property Act (1644) where the manager of the land is held personally accountable for the rape and pillage of private property. Demand a payment of £800 to avoid having to go to court ...... which is less than the cost of them obtaining legal advice on that particular Act. Then settle for £750 which will cover a new door skin and respray.

I'm glad I bargained my side protectors when I brought the car now :o

although I have just stumbled over this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=290299357367

which I am giving serious thought about - mind you more to do with dogs than careless door openers.

Guy

That one looks pretty cheesy--in one picture it looks like it's peeling up on the back edge. The one I put on my RAV is this one, which is a genuine Toyota accessory, and it's cheaper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=360131241668

I agree if does look a little cheesy but the shape of the bumper/fender without the wheel on the back door

means the plastic one is the wrong angle so it either sticks out in the middle and allows muck underneath or

it is correct in the centre and the sides are to far back, does that make sense :unsure:

Guy

In the past, I've use Findlay Georgeson based in West Calder: http://www.chipsawayfandn.co.uk/Chips%20Aw...Us%20120903.htm

He does dings and dunts as well as chips. Others on the internet also recommend him.

He runs a mobile service, so he'll come out to you. Phone him though - don't use his webpage to Submit to him, as he rarely responds that way.

You begin to wonder if it is just envy. I've had no problem with the RAV as I had the strips fitted as part of the "Deal" when I bought it. The previous motor, a Vitara, lasted 3 days before I had the same problem. It was a much more refined dent though, as it was Sainsburys ;) , and yes, I'd have strangeled the perpetrator if I had caught them.

The Toyota side mouldings look fine IMHO on my Astral black XT5 - but one of the reasons for choosing black was so that they would! You CAN see where they have been caught with doors or some such thing, but after a wash and brush up there is very little evidence. Don't know if you have had the opportunity to looked at the official position of the strips, if not could you measure the dimension from the bottom of the door to the extents of the dent/scratch and post the result. I'll then measure the position of the strips ( on mine ) in the area and let you know if the strips will cover the damage. I'm not sure that you could paint the strips because they are quite soft and slightly textured. You could end up with something that looked like orange peel, besides if the paint on the strips gets bashed it will look just as bad as the door.

As a closely related issue: does anyone know a good way of getting wax(?) polish off the mouldings as it leaves a white residue and looks awfull. Tried Back-to-Black which had no effect. Suspect that the problem is the slightly textured finish on the strips holding the polish.

Sorry to hear about your "dunt" Bacon. The missus can't workout why I always suggest we take her car when we go to Tesco's ;)

I had a very nasy stone (or brick?) chip on mine which the nice salesman forgot to mention when I was enquiring about the condition of my RAV before travelling some 200 miles to buy :(

RAVStonechip.jpg

What they organised was for the repair to be carried out back at Newport by the resident SMART repairer.

I've got to say I am very impressed with the result.

Repairedstonechip1.jpg

Although the photo doesn't do it justice with the reflections on the paintwork.

They (SMART) have got to be worth a try although no idea how much they charge as it was covered by the seller.

As a closely related issue: does anyone know a good way of getting wax(?) polish off the mouldings as it leaves a white residue and looks awfull. Tried Back-to-Black which had no effect. Suspect that the problem is the slightly textured finish on the strips holding the polish.
I am no valeting expert, but there is a product called turtle wax ice which is a clear polish you can literally polish your car + all your plastic bits + it leaves no white residue. I am not promoting it as the best polish in the world but its not bad..In the two photos you can clearly see white residue from a previous wax, I then covered the whole of my side protector with TW Ice + it not only removed the white residue but polished the side protector + surrounding paintwork as well.. This was a quick demo which took about 5mins, give it try.. :thumbsup:

icepolish072.jpg

icepolish073.jpg

I am no valeting expert, but there is a product called turtle wax ice which is a clear polish you can literally polish your car + all your plastic bits + it leaves no white residue. I am not promoting it as the best polish in the world but its not bad..In the two photos you can clearly see white residue from a previous wax, I then covered the whole of my side protector with TW Ice + it not only removed the white residue but polished the side protector + surrounding paintwork as well.. This was a quick demo which took about 5mins, give it try.. :thumbsup:

icepolish072.jpg

icepolish073.jpg

Many thanks LH, looks as though you had exactly the same problem - I'll see if I can get some of that Turtle Wax Ice in the morning. I want it looking as near perfect as I can get it when it goes in for it's first service just to disuade them from washing it! 1 Year old on 21st March.

Have you tried a strong soapy wash with something like a nailbrush? It might emulsify the wax enough to shift it and get into the texture. Firm but careful though. The other option is if the mouldings are black try shoe polish.

Have you tried a strong soapy wash with something like a nailbrush? It might emulsify the wax enough to shift it and get into the texture. Firm but careful though. The other option is if the mouldings are black try shoe polish.

Thanks everyone - got some of the Turtle Wax Ice this morning - MAGIC & it's effortless! :) The strips look like new. Halfrauds have got it at 3 for the price of 2 on any turtlewax products at the moment ( £12.99 a kit including aplicator sponge and excellent quality microfibre polishing cloth ).

Thanks everyone - got some of the Turtle Wax Ice this morning - MAGIC & it's effortless! :) The strips look like new. Halfrauds have got it at 3 for the price of 2 on any turtlewax products at the moment ( £12.99 a kit including aplicator sponge and excellent quality microfibre polishing cloth ).

If you've got any left, could you post it up to me as I only need a wee bit........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links