Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help With Radio And 'diff' !

hayabusa

Hi guys, am on the verge of buying my 1st Rav, it will hopefully be a 2002 3 dorr NRG. i have a very nice Alpine cd player that i connect to a Sub woofer in my old car that i want to remove and put in the rav and my 1st question is, can u easily remove the existing toyota rav radio and replace it with an Alpine Radio or is the fitment different and do u need any 'blanking' or 'fill in' plates to cover the gaps? or does the standard Rav radio already have an 'input' for a sub ? 2nd question is: does the 2nd generation Rav (2002) have a fixed diff and will it tow happily across a beach / pebbles etc. ?

any help would be HUGELY appreciated. Thanx. :)

Hi guys, 2nd question is: does the 2nd generation Rav (2002) have a fixed diff and will it tow happily across a beach / pebbles etc. ?

I do not have a diff lock feature on my RAV4.2D4D and have towed a RIB full of SCUBA gear off a beach but that was on hard'ish sand. I tend to be very cautious of overloading the DMF so get a fellow dive club member with a proper 4x4 get it off the beach where ever possible. WARNING I've also had an empty RIB sink to the trailer axles and had to float off the RIB before recovering the trailer with a 'PROPER 4x4'. Sand is a bugger the !Removed! stuff keeps moving so you need to check what it is like before you pile in! Suggest you get 'sand ladders', plenty of rope & check out 'Yorkshiredivers' & BSAC Forums! I much prefer to use a concrete slip. Check out your local 'BSAC dive club' & ask for their thoughts as they will know the best local launch sites. Dooh! Most insurance companies do not cover 4x4 vehicles off road!!!! but I Fink SAGA cover use on a beach!!!!

Best of British English Luck!

Hi guys, 2nd question is: does the 2nd generation Rav (2002) have a fixed diff and will it tow happily across a beach / pebbles etc. ?

I do not have a diff lock feature on my RAV4.2D4D and have towed a RIB full of SCUBA gear off a beach but that was on hard'ish sand. I tend to be very cautious of overloading the DMF so get a fellow dive club member with a proper 4x4 get it off the beach where ever possible. WARNING I've also had an empty RIB sink to the trailer axles and had to float off the RIB before recovering the trailer with a 'PROPER 4x4'. Sand is a bugger the bloody stuff keeps moving so you need to check what it is like before you pile in! Suggest you get 'sand ladders', plenty of rope & check out 'Yorkshiredivers' & BSAC Forums! I much prefer to use a concrete slip. Check out your local 'BSAC dive club' & ask for their thoughts as they will know the best local launch sites. Dooh! Most insurance companies do not cover 4x4 vehicles off road!!!! but I Fink SAGA cover use on a beach!!!!

Best of British English Luck!

haha - English luck???? Oh - like yer football team and the rugby? Wuildnie bank (like the pun eh?) oan that. :P

Running sand dunes etc wi a 4.1 RAV turbo'd is the sport of champions!!! Its light enough to 'sail' across.

If you're seriuously aff tae try wave hopping, and want a 4.2 RAV, then I'd fit wider wheels and tyres.... + think of which tyre pattern you want. Is there no enough golden oldies doon in Bournemouth that ye cuildnie employ them tae pu yer boat oot tae the water?? :lol: :lol:

Thanx guys, i understand the problems with sand and where possible will avoid the stuff and go for concrete slips, lets hope i get the Rav soon, been waiting for 4 weeks now, hopefully next weekend !!!!!

As long as you understand RAVs are "soft roaders" you won't go far wrong. The early 4.2s like the one you are looking at do have a limited slip diff so it will be quite good but obviously soft sand and loose pebbles may present a problem. The best thing is to experiment once you have it. They are extraordinarily good in the snow so you should be pleasantly surprised.

Somebody is going to post a you-tube clip of one going through the jungle now :D

Somebody is going to post a you-tube clip of one going through the jungle now :D
I look forward to seeing the clip !! cheers :D

Does driving around the M25 on a Monday morning in rush hour count....It's a JUNGLE out there :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links