Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing My Cool - Literally & Figuratively

Elenar

Hi all

I have a little problem. When Igot my Cruiser, I noticed that the air conditioner didn't blow very cold and the front, driver seat heater didn't work properly. The sales person turned the A/C to MAX cold and it blew cold enough air, but since it was a chilly day, it wasn't very noticeable. As for the seat heater, the sales person said and I remember it clearly "It isn't meant to bake your piles". I felt a bit embarrassed and thought it is my imagination that the seat isn't heating up.

In September 2008, I took the car to a local Toyota for the brakes to be seen to, as they were making a squealing noise whilst driving. I was told that the calipers were ceasing and they needed replacing. The £450 job was done under warranty. At this time also, I called the sales person and asked him about the A/C that wasn't working properly. He said that due to the car having stood a while, the gas needed to re-circulate and might well need a re-gas. I paid £80 for a re-gas at the time and remember it not feeling very cold. I have since done various experiments with it with 2 different thermometers. If I turn it to 19 degrees Celsius, the thermometer jumps to 30 degrees Celsius and at a 20 degree setting, it jumps to 34 degrees Celsius!

In February this year, the A/C light started flashing intermittently and stopped working altogether at times. I took the car to the local Toyota for its major service and had a few items that needed looking at. I also asked them to look at the A/C and front seat heater, for which I had to pay an extra labour charge. I was informed by them that the A/C compressor had failed and the seat heater element as well. They attempted to get this repaired under warranty, but to no avail.

I spoke to the warranty company, who quizzed me on the faults. They refused to pay for the repairs, since the faults were there when I got the car. SO now I am stuck with a car of which the A/C doesn't work and neither does the seat heater. I tried speaking to the sales manager at the Toyota dealership I bought it from. He took my initial call and has since, for 5 days, not returned any of my calls, despite me calling him numerous times and leaving messages. I understand that he is busy. I am very disappointed though at him not getting back to me. I spoke to the business manager Thursday 12 March and he recommended sending the branch manager an email. I am very upset and even angry at the situation.

I feel that even though the sales person was very friendly and helpful, he didn't know the car he sold to me and his product knowledge was quite poor. He had no idea how things worked and what their functions were! Amongst other things, the "2nd start" feature he said, was to warm up on winter mornings - along with another button that warms the engine up on cold mornings. The manual says different things about 2nd start! I was quite nervous about the Diff lock switch and the LNH transmission lever. David was quite alarmed when I reached for it and said not to touch it. When I asked him about the Low range transfer case, he didn't know how it worked and he went inside the showroom to ask - nobody there knew either! He tried to explain how to work it, but he couldn't move it (The car was on). He hit it hard a few times, it woudn't move so he asked someone inside. He came back, saying NEVER to touch the HNL lever, as I wouldn't need it. One of the reasons I bought it though was to do offroading! I just wanted to see/ask how easy it is to move it accidentally - in case my wife's leg bumped it and the car blew up!(Bear in mind that this is my first 4x4)

He said not to fiddle with that, as it would "wind the transmission up, as we say". Anyway, he sent me away from the dealership, believing the 4x4 selection lever should be in N. One day, waiting outside school for the school run (with 5 kids in the car), I was brushing a spot of dust and knocked the lever forward to L. The car was off, but I panicked and put it back into N. I wanted to see if all was OK, so I started the car and it wouldn't move! It was in N, I checked. I switched to Drive and Reverse and my car stayed still. I switched off the engine and reached for the manual. The MANUAL said that with the 4x4 lever in N, NO power is delivered to the wheels and that H is the best option for everyday driving. I was worried that I had broken my car! Did I really drive 150 miles from the garage I bought it in N or was it in fact in H? Later I got confirmation that it needed to be in H in fact.

I've been a Toyota owner for many years and my dad before me drove them for nearly 30 years. I am absolutely apalled at the service I am getting from Toyota. This is by far the most expensive Toyota I've ever owned, but 2 years ago I had a 20 year old Toyota Carina on an E-plate and everything worked.

To make a long story short, my car's Air Conditioner does not work and nor does the seat heater. The warranty company will not pay out, despite numerous pleas. I do not have £2000 to fix it, but including profit, I doubt very much that it is the true cost. The warranty company said it is an issue for the dealership to deal with and I tend to agree. I did consider making an official complaint when I got it, given the amount of ignorance there was on the product that I was being sold. I didn't however - perhaps stupidly so.

I would like to have this matter resolved and my Air conditioner repaired to a state in which it should have been, as well as the seat heater. Given my desperation and frankly my annoyance at the situation, I am not beyond taking this further until it does get sorted.

Do I have any leg to stand on regarding the Air conditioner and seat heater? I didn't need the seat heater in Spring/Summer/Autumn and when I did (in the recent heavy snow), i didn't work and promptly went in for a 20,000 mile service (£480). I spoke to the dealership today and the manager there said that if my local Toyota managed to re-gas my car, the compressor was NOT faulty and thus it is a warranty issue.

I am quite annoyed, since my "local" Toyota is about 20 miles away and since I look after children as my business, I NEED the car and cannot do without it. It took over a week to get my car seen to by the warrany company's inspector and report back.

I feel that if it weren't for my honesty, my car would have been fixed by now! What do I do - go up the ladder until I speak to mr CEO in Japan?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all

I have a little problem. When Igot my Cruiser, I noticed that the air conditioner didn't blow very cold and the front, driver seat heater didn't work properly. The sales person turned the A/C to MAX cold and it blew cold enough air, but since it was a chilly day, it wasn't very noticeable. As for the seat heater, the sales person said and I remember it clearly "It isn't meant to bake your piles". I felt a bit embarrassed and thought it is my imagination that the seat isn't heating up.

In September 2008, I took the car to a local Toyota for the brakes to be seen to, as they were making a squealing noise whilst driving. I was told that the calipers were ceasing and they needed replacing. The £450 job was done under warranty. At this time also, I called the sales person and asked him about the A/C that wasn't working properly. He said that due to the car having stood a while, the gas needed to re-circulate and might well need a re-gas. I paid £80 for a re-gas at the time and remember it not feeling very cold. I have since done various experiments with it with 2 different thermometers. If I turn it to 19 degrees Celsius, the thermometer jumps to 30 degrees Celsius and at a 20 degree setting, it jumps to 34 degrees Celsius!

In February this year, the A/C light started flashing intermittently and stopped working altogether at times. I took the car to the local Toyota for its major service and had a few items that needed looking at. I also asked them to look at the A/C and front seat heater, for which I had to pay an extra labour charge. I was informed by them that the A/C compressor had failed and the seat heater element as well. They attempted to get this repaired under warranty, but to no avail.

I spoke to the warranty company, who quizzed me on the faults. They refused to pay for the repairs, since the faults were there when I got the car. SO now I am stuck with a car of which the A/C doesn't work and neither does the seat heater. I tried speaking to the sales manager at the Toyota dealership I bought it from. He took my initial call and has since, for 5 days, not returned any of my calls, despite me calling him numerous times and leaving messages. I understand that he is busy. I am very disappointed though at him not getting back to me. I spoke to the business manager Thursday 12 March and he recommended sending the branch manager an email. I am very upset and even angry at the situation.

I feel that even though the sales person was very friendly and helpful, he didn't know the car he sold to me and his product knowledge was quite poor. He had no idea how things worked and what their functions were! Amongst other things, the "2nd start" feature he said, was to warm up on winter mornings - along with another button that warms the engine up on cold mornings. The manual says different things about 2nd start! I was quite nervous about the Diff lock switch and the LNH transmission lever. David was quite alarmed when I reached for it and said not to touch it. When I asked him about the Low range transfer case, he didn't know how it worked and he went inside the showroom to ask - nobody there knew either! He tried to explain how to work it, but he couldn't move it (The car was on). He hit it hard a few times, it woudn't move so he asked someone inside. He came back, saying NEVER to touch the HNL lever, as I wouldn't need it. One of the reasons I bought it though was to do offroading! I just wanted to see/ask how easy it is to move it accidentally - in case my wife's leg bumped it and the car blew up!(Bear in mind that this is my first 4x4)

He said not to fiddle with that, as it would "wind the transmission up, as we say". Anyway, he sent me away from the dealership, believing the 4x4 selection lever should be in N. One day, waiting outside school for the school run (with 5 kids in the car), I was brushing a spot of dust and knocked the lever forward to L. The car was off, but I panicked and put it back into N. I wanted to see if all was OK, so I started the car and it wouldn't move! It was in N, I checked. I switched to Drive and Reverse and my car stayed still. I switched off the engine and reached for the manual. The MANUAL said that with the 4x4 lever in N, NO power is delivered to the wheels and that H is the best option for everyday driving. I was worried that I had broken my car! Did I really drive 150 miles from the garage I bought it in N or was it in fact in H? Later I got confirmation that it needed to be in H in fact.

I've been a Toyota owner for many years and my dad before me drove them for nearly 30 years. I am absolutely apalled at the service I am getting from Toyota. This is by far the most expensive Toyota I've ever owned, but 2 years ago I had a 20 year old Toyota Carina on an E-plate and everything worked.

To make a long story short, my car's Air Conditioner does not work and nor does the seat heater. The warranty company will not pay out, despite numerous pleas. I do not have £2000 to fix it, but including profit, I doubt very much that it is the true cost. The warranty company said it is an issue for the dealership to deal with and I tend to agree. I did consider making an official complaint when I got it, given the amount of ignorance there was on the product that I was being sold. I didn't however - perhaps stupidly so.

I would like to have this matter resolved and my Air conditioner repaired to a state in which it should have been, as well as the seat heater. Given my desperation and frankly my annoyance at the situation, I am not beyond taking this further until it does get sorted.

Do I have any leg to stand on regarding the Air conditioner and seat heater? I didn't need the seat heater in Spring/Summer/Autumn and when I did (in the recent heavy snow), i didn't work and promptly went in for a 20,000 mile service (£480). I spoke to the dealership today and the manager there said that if my local Toyota managed to re-gas my car, the compressor was NOT faulty and thus it is a warranty issue.

I am quite annoyed, since my "local" Toyota is about 20 miles away and since I look after children as my business, I NEED the car and cannot do without it. It took over a week to get my car seen to by the warrany company's inspector and report back.

I feel that if it weren't for my honesty, my car would have been fixed by now! What do I do - go up the ladder until I speak to mr CEO in Japan?

Hi Elenar

If you have a genuine Toyota warranty or not the work should be carried out under warranty if the car is covered whether it is a new fault or a fault when the car was purchased. I know this because I had a Toyota warranty for 1 year when I purchased my 53 plate 18 months ago.

The lumbar switch was faulty and I got it repaired with no problems, I have also had other parts fixed including a re-gas of the A/C unit which had leaked. I paid £80 for it. You have to pay for the initial re-gas but not the second if it is leaking.

They put in a dye and when it failed again they repaired it and re-gassed it for free.

My local dealer is in Sandhurst in Berkshire. They are brilliant. Your local dealer is fobbing you off and so is the warranty company.

You need to go and tell them this and explain that if they do not get it fixed promptly you will take it further. Although this will be a nuisance you can claim from them out of pocket expenses. Dealers will always try this on and you should not put up with this being a female. You pays the money you deserve the service. Where are you exactly if your close I'll take it in for you. I'm in Farnborough, Hants.

Good luck

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Elenar

If you have a genuine Toyota warranty or not the work should be carried out under warranty if the car is covered whether it is a new fault or a fault when the car was purchased. I know this because I had a Toyota warranty for 1 year when I purchased my 53 plate 18 months ago.

The lumbar switch was faulty and I got it repaired with no problems, I have also had other parts fixed including a re-gas of the A/C unit which had leaked. I paid £80 for it. You have to pay for the initial re-gas but not the second if it is leaking.

They put in a dye and when it failed again they repaired it and re-gassed it for free.

My local dealer is in Sandhurst in Berkshire. They are brilliant. Your local dealer is fobbing you off and so is the warranty company.

You need to go and tell them this and explain that if they do not get it fixed promptly you will take it further. Although this will be a nuisance you can claim from them out of pocket expenses. Dealers will always try this on and you should not put up with this being a female. You pays the money you deserve the service. Where are you exactly if your close I'll take it in for you. I'm in Farnborough, Hants.

Good luck

Steve

Hi Steve

My apologies for the late reply! My dealer is John Roe motors in Grimsby. They've shafted me, as has the warranty company. Toyota UK just shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh well".

As you can imagine, I am REALLY REALLY miff about this! I'm driving in a hot car (it blows 30 degree air when set to 18 degrees). The kids are constantly groggy and I am driving around in what is supposed to be a reliable, premium car with no A/C.

The dealership I bought it from (Grimsby) says that Edenbridge Toyota wouldn't have been able to re-gas if the compressor was shot. The A/C light only started flashing in January (Within the warranty limit which expired 10 March) and Edenbridge and Grimsby says it is the A/C compressor that failed at that point.

I don't have money for a new car, nor can I trade it in with a retailer who is actually worth his business - due to the "Credit crunch" and that I owe more than what the car is worth!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Your air-con problem is likely an aircon magnetic clutch relay - I had this problem, replaced the relay, job done. There is a known problem with the originally-fitted relay, so the part should be replaced with one of a different part number (I can probably find this for you if you're interested).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links