Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Towbar Electrics Woes

stevenson

Hello all.

I have just fitted the Toyota towbar electrics and have a weird fault. I do not yet know what it does with a trailer hitched.

I tested the indicators (flasher) by using the hazard system - all OK

I noted that the rear indicators flash when locking/unlocking.

Now when driving to work, I see the dash light flashes fast (indicating blown bulbs) and upon checking, the rear indicators don't work in normal mode.

Before I get nicked - anyone have any suggestions?

Stevenson

Did you add a flasher relay for the indicators? If so it could be faulty or wired incorrectly. Which wiring kit did you use?

I used the correct 12N kit from a Toyota main dealer, installed using the procedure published on the Toyota-tech website.

It has a large red relay with something like 8-12 pins. There is a pair of contacts in the trailer socket which make/break when a plug is inserted - could it be something to do with that? Miswiring is possible on my part as the loom comes unterminated and must be wired into the trailer socket - I will check this first. However as the bulbs and the loom to the lights can be demonstrated as being OK, could the relay part be faulty?

Stevenson

I used the correct 12N kit from a Toyota main dealer, installed using the procedure published on the Toyota-tech website.

It has a large red relay with something like 8-12 pins. There is a pair of contacts in the trailer socket which make/break when a plug is inserted - could it be something to do with that? Miswiring is possible on my part as the loom comes unterminated and must be wired into the trailer socket - I will check this first. However as the bulbs and the loom to the lights can be demonstrated as being OK, could the relay part be faulty?

Stevenson

Hi,

is the wiring kit you have the one with a short length of loom that connects directly to the Battery at one end and then has two in-line fuse holders before connecting to the main loom near the LH headlamp? If so the Toyota wiring instructions have an error in them as the fuse should be fitted to the other fuse holder rather than the one mentioned in the instructions. I had a very similar problem until I changed the fuse over.

..........and as long as you know you are wired up correctly change that relay. It is designed to make the flashers work at the same speed when the additional bulbs of the trailer are working. It sounds like it is happy when all 4 flash but isn't responding to only one side flashing.

Deep joy!!

Yes it is that loom, and yes it now works with the fuse in the 'wrong' position.

The glory that is the Internet.

Thankyou very much sport!

Stevenson

Deep joy!!

Yes it is that loom, and yes it now works with the fuse in the 'wrong' position.

The glory that is the Internet.

Thankyou very much sport!

Stevenson

Have to admit it caused me a great deal of head scratching before I worked out what was going on. Well done though fella!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links