Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa Stalling When Braking

dazzagh

Hi all, got a '96 GX which has just had a recon engine fitted. Before it went to the garage, it would stall as i was braking at junctions, roundabouts, lights etc. I thought this problem may have disapeared after the recon was fitted, but it is still there. Does anyone have any ideas what it can be. Its as the revs drop on braking, they just keep dropping till it stalls.

Thanks Darren

Did the change everything or just the engine e.g were all the manifold changed as well??. It could be a few things

1. A Vacuum leak - when you put on brakes vacuum from the engine is used to lower the pressure in the vacuum assist diaphragm relative to atmospheric pressure. It takes this tap off a large pipe on the front of the intake manifold. Check all around that area.

2. The pick up in your fuel tank. When you slam on anchors all the fuel rushes forward if the pick is blocked you could get starvation

3. The actual fuel cap breather is blocked.

4. You have a fuel rail pressure issues

5. You have a dirty throttle body and idle control valve. These gum up quite frequently and need a good stripping and clean with carb cleaner.

6. A faulty PCV valve can also cause similar issues.

No easy answer I am afraid you will have to go through it methodically. Clearly it wasn't the engine

Thanks for the answers, will have to check everything. The recon was fitted due to the old engines cylinder head going, so at least i've got it back on the road now, even if it does stall.

Cheers Darren

Can't believe you changed an entire engine for the sake of a £40 gasket set and a bit of elbow grease???

• 3 weeks later...
Did the change everything or just the engine e.g were all the manifold changed as well??. It could be a few things

1. A Vacuum leak - when you put on brakes vacuum from the engine is used to lower the pressure in the vacuum assist diaphragm relative to atmospheric pressure. It takes this tap off a large pipe on the front of the intake manifold. Check all around that area.

2. The pick up in your fuel tank. When you slam on anchors all the fuel rushes forward if the pick is blocked you could get starvation

3. The actual fuel cap breather is blocked.

4. You have a fuel rail pressure issues

5. You have a dirty throttle body and idle control valve. These gum up quite frequently and need a good stripping and clean with carb cleaner.

6. A faulty PCV valve can also cause similar issues.

No easy answer I am afraid you will have to go through it methodically. Clearly it wasn't the engine

propnut, what is the easiest thing to start checking from the list?? Could it be anything to do with the injectors? I had a recall on the car about 5 years ago because they said a small percentage of prevs suffered from stalling in cold weather, i never suffered this, but they changed the injectors free of charge.

Darren

Start with the vacuum leak. If you are stalling when braking this would be my first point of call. The pipe from the front of the inlet manifold to the brake booster would be my prime suspect or the brake booster itself. Do you find the brakes become hard to press from time to time??

The the throttle body would be my next guess. You did not say if this was changed as part of the engine change. You really do need to know.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links