Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Mk2 Window Problem

RAVCLAN

Hello,

We were wondering if anyone could give us a little help/advice please?

Our 3 door 02 Rav 4 has a problem with the driver's side window. It goes up when you press the window button but once it reaches the top of the door it automatically goes back down again. The window motor does not struggle and the button does not appear to be faulty as it responds as it should do.

Thank you.

Just a silly question from me. Have you tried holding the switch fully up manually (don't use auto) and let it get all the way to the top? Then hold in the fully down position and let it go all the way down? Try repeating that at least 5 or 6 times.

There's a re-calibration to this effect for the 4.3, but it might not be quite so similar for the 4.2. Maybe worth a quick try though.

No doubt a windows expert will be along soon. Personally I stick with linux/debian.

Welcome to TOC by the way. :thumbsup:

Hello,

Thank you for the advice and freindly welcome.

We have just given your advice a try and unfortunately, still doing the same thing.

Regards...

Hello,

We just wanted to update and ask again could anyone help, any useful ideas welcome as we just can't solve this problem.

The window button seems to work fine as does the window motor but when you press the button for the window to go up it seems fine until it reaches the top of the door frame and then it just goes back down automatically, but only half way. The only way to get the window to close is by pressing the button 'bit by bit' until it reaches the top.

We have tried the re-calibration technique with the window button and locking and unlocking the car with the key fob several times, but neither have worked so far.......

regards...

Hello,

We just wanted to update and ask again could anyone help, any useful ideas welcome as we just can't solve this problem.

The window button seems to work fine as does the window motor but when you press the button for the window to go up it seems fine until it reaches the top of the door frame and then it just goes back down automatically, but only half way. The only way to get the window to close is by pressing the button 'bit by bit' until it reaches the top.

We have tried the re-calibration technique with the window button and locking and unlocking the car with the key fob several times, but neither have worked so far.......

regards...

Sounds like the 'Anti trap' system is kicking in [assuming there is one]. There isn't anything wedged in the top groove in the door frame by any chance?

Hello,

We were wondering if anyone could give us a little help/advice please?

Our 3 door 02 Rav 4 has a problem with the driver's side window. It goes up when you press the window button but once it reaches the top of the door it automatically goes back down again. The window motor does not struggle and the button does not appear to be faulty as it responds as it should do.

Thank you.

This is from the 2008 owner's manual--it may be similar to your 2002:

Jam protection function: During automatic

closing operation, the window stops and

opens half way if something gets caught

between the window and window frame.

If the window receives a strong impact,

this function may work even if nothing is

caught.

If the power window does not operate

automatically or the jam protection

function does not operate correctly, you

should normalize the power window.

To normalize the power window:

1. Push down the power window switch

and lower the windows fully.

2. Pull up the switch until the windows

close and hold the switch for a second.

Make sure that the window open and

close automatically. If the power windows

cannot be operated properly, have it

checked by your Toyota dealer.

Just a silly question from me. Have you tried holding the switch fully up manually (don't use auto) and let it get all the way to the top? Then hold in the fully down position and let it go all the way down? Try repeating that at least 5 or 6 times.

There's a re-calibration to this effect for the 4.3, but it might not be quite so similar for the 4.2. Maybe worth a quick try though.

No doubt a windows expert will be along soon. Personally I stick with linux/debian.

Welcome to TOC by the way. :thumbsup:

Hi SHCM,

do you know if there is top ( physical ) limit switch for the window when it closes? I was wondering if the limit had failed and the motor was now seeing the top of the frame as an obstruction and opening in the same way as it does when something, like a hand, obstructs it?

Yes, my understanding too is that there is a limit switch that should open at each end of the window travel.

Anyway, now I've had spare time, I've sent RAVCLAN some info that might help.

It would appear for the 4.2 that to perform a motor reset, as part of the procedure, the motor should be removed. However, at the back of my mind, I have a feeling that this has come up before and I might be mistaken, but I thought Anchs had a short cut around this. I've never had to do one.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for your help.

"three5" that sounds exactly like what the window is doing...is there a way of sorting it out?

Thanks again.

I think ther eare Hall ICs involved with them but in the first instance, squirt some Mr Sheen or similar in the window runners to allow the glass to slide freely.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links