Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica 2.0 Gt 1998 Discs & Pad Help...

Big E

Hi all, Yes another newby.. but... I need help. Driving to work this morning a bad rattle came from the rear right of the car.

It sounded like the exhaust was falling off but it is secure (sounded like nuts & bolts having a fight). I dont think its the bearing as the rattle has stopped....

I think the brakes are playing up.(Not sure if the rear brakes have retaining clips that might of come off!!!!)

When i release the handbrake used to squeels for about 5 seconds...must be binding...

I only got the car 3 weeks ago and I need advice on which new discs & pads should be fitted.

Do I go for drilled/grooved or just standard. I do like to put my foot down but nothing to daft....

When I buy a second hand car I usually change the brakes but advice on this would be good.

It is the 170ish BHP celica GT 2.0... so should I stay standard or upgrade a bit.

Fleebay are offering 4xStandard discs with Mintex pads for £120ish or £165ish for drilled & grooved with Mintex pads.

Any input of any of the brake issues would be great, even any guesses for the rattle....which now seems to of stopped....for the minute..

The worst thing is that its Good Friday and alot of the shops are closed. I wanted to be at Oulton Park on Monday for the GT meeting....(SAD...)

So any input of anything to help would be great.... Oh and how long does it take to change all 4 discs & pads with new dot 3 by a garage.

Does anyone think it might be the brake shoes come loose....

Thanks

Big E. :(

rear antiroll bar bushes are where i'd begin to look - common fault on the celica.

it has pads at the rear , shoes are inside the brake disc and only work handbrake.

Thanks for the reply, The handbrake is alot further up than it should be. Where can you suggest to get replacement anti roll bar bushes.

When I am driving it sounds like binding or a grinding noise. Just when I was driving it back it sounded like some nuts /bolts fell off underneath....

I am getting a bit worried now....

I am ordering some grooved & drilled discs off fleebay and a full set of mintex pads. Do you think these will be ok.

Looking forward to your reply

Big E.

rear antiroll bar bushes are where i'd begin to look - common fault on the celica.

it has pads at the rear , shoes are inside the brake disc and only work handbrake.

dealers about £11 a pair . if your getting more than say 6 clicks on the handbrake , you can adjust it with a long reach 10mm socket , the adjuster is down the side of the handbrake lever .

id be interested to see those eBay items . if you need rear handbrake shoes or even if you dont , buy them anyways as they are hard to locate - they can be bought here http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ along with all genuine toyota parts, but alot cheaper than dealerships.

Thanks again, I have already adjusted the handbrake and its pretty much right the way up now.

I am going to get the anti roll link bars as well as the bushes. I hope this will help. Do I need a new anti roll bar?????

The items on eBay are :

Celica ST202 ST205 AT200 Rear ANTI ROLL BAR LINK ROD x2 Item number: 360144214070

CELICA GT 2.0 ST202 Drilled Brake Discs Front Rear Item number: 300302463931 (additional Mintex Pads all around £50.00 inc delivery).

It will be interesting to see if you think they will be ok.

I will check with the link you sent for the handbrake bits...cheers

Thanks again

Big E B)

dealers about £11 a pair . if your getting more than say 6 clicks on the handbrake , you can adjust it with a long reach 10mm socket , the adjuster is down the side of the handbrake lever .

id be interested to see those ebay items . if you need rear handbrake shoes or even if you dont , buy them anyways as they are hard to locate - they can be bought here http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/ along with all genuine toyota parts, but alot cheaper than dealerships.

goodluck fitting those link arms , if the old ones free off easy enough its easy job if not you may need an angle grinder. last ones i changed i used a junior hacksaw to get the nuts off.

brake parts seem damn good i priced toyota parts at £114 for 4 discs and pads .

if you do decide to replace the anti roll bar , buy a whiteline one from fensport .

Thanks for confirming that the discs look good for the price.

I will have alot of shopping to do next Tuesday.

Fingers crossed everything should go to plan.

Can you please explain the diference for the anti roll bar and why a whiteline and how much...

Can I just add BIG THANKS for you help...

Cheers

Big E

goodluck fitting those link arms , if the old ones free off easy enough its easy job if not you may need an angle grinder. last ones i changed i used a junior hacksaw to get the nuts off.

brake parts seem damn good i priced toyota parts at £114 for 4 discs and pads .

if you do decide to replace the anti roll bar , buy a whiteline one from fensport .

Rear 20mm anti roll bar - complete with bushes - non adjustable £108.82

whiteline basically make racing parts and are better spec over stock parts.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/parts.htm

a good mod for any gen 6 is fitting the rear strut brace parts from a st205 gt4. gives the car better handling , even better if the car is lowered too.

Thanks again for the info.

Will give them a call on Tuesday when they open.

Rear 20mm anti roll bar - complete with bushes - non adjustable £108.82

whiteline basically make racing parts and are better spec over stock parts.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/parts.htm

a good mod for any gen 6 is fitting the rear strut brace parts from a st205 gt4. gives the car better handling , even better if the car is lowered too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links