Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Insurance And Running Costs

Psyconautuk

Hi, I am 33, got no claims bonus and I am thinking about buying an MR2. Aside from the Pre Cat problem, i was wondering if they are as reliable as all the other Toyotas, ( my Corolla was 18 years old before I got rid of it) how much does everyone pay on average for insurance? i am looking for a year 00 hard top I think, otherwise the kids on my street will kill it!

Thanks

Hi,

I'm 33 also with 4 years NCB, and pay roughly 420 for insurance.

I've only had mine for 7 months so far and has never let me down (54 reg). They drive very well, quite economical, and handle very well. A world apart from the Z3 I used to own. Buy one, you won't regret it!

From memory, the only other thing to check is that the car hasn't bottomed out and damaged the fuel tank, and do a search on here for the 'Soft Top Ears' which will tell you about a minor soft top problem that can occur.

I'm 32 with 5+ years NCB and i'm £350 with Tesco. They've been excellent at looking after me following someone crashing into me so i'd recommend them for 'service when you really need it'.

Hard Top model is the way ahead - looks great and is practical/secure.

I can't recall my Insurance cost, but it's between 3 and 400 fully comp for both me and my wife, (that's with the turbo conversion etc etc) full NCB and I'm 40.... (checks the date... yes.. I'm still 40 for a little while yet :lol:)

I've had mine for 3 and a half years and never had a problem, fairly economical when driven sensibly, but does get a little thirtsy if I put my foot down to hear the "phhhhht" sound lol.

Check the pre-cats (as you know) by taking out the o2 sensors.

Check the softop for the "ears" problem.. it's a very simple fix tbh, also check for wear or repairs to the softop, look inside, you will see the beam that runs across the roof at the rear, these can wear out the roof at both ends, if all is good a simple modification can pevent it happening in the future.

Check the storage bins for water ingresion, it could have blocked drains... again a simple fix.

All in all a good reliable car, but you really do need to need to check the oil on a very regular basis... I would say at least twice a week.. oil consumption is a sign of pre-cat failure/oval bore syndrome.

I'm nearly 33, max no claims (unprotected)

Fully Comp with Hubby as named driver (36yrs and a DD10 :rolleyes:)

2000, no hard top, parked on street with no mods.

Tesco - £250

I'm nearly 33, max no claims (unprotected)

Fully Comp with Hubby as named driver (36yrs and a DD10 :rolleyes:)

2000, no hard top, parked on street with no mods.

Tesco - £250

Cool thanks for all the replies!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links