Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Head Gasket Going ?

mistyangel

my celica while not overheating yet is starting to empty reserve tank and leak water on to the ground. there is that smell off it aswell, radiator seems to be emptying itself tru the overflow pipe that leads to the reserve tank, no oily deposits on oil cap, only a gurgling radiator , water / coolent levels always cheacked. radiator not leaking. is this early signs of head-gasket failure? does it have to boil over properly to warp the head? suggestions please..

I'm sure the head certainly won't be enjoying itself. Sounds like the problem could lie elsewhere so don't fret! One of the regulars will be post in soon.

I'm sure the head certainly won't be enjoying itself. Sounds like the problem could lie elsewhere so don't fret! One of the regulars will be post in soon.

Yep. Head gasket has gone. Gases are blowing into the waterways, pressurising the water system and pushing the water out the overflow. Classic symptoms I'm afraid.

Yep. Head gasket has gone. Gases are blowing into the waterways, pressurising the water system and pushing the water out the overflow. Classic symptoms I'm afraid.

ok Martin . its off to the repair shop so, thanks for geting in touch.

my celica while not overheating yet is starting to empty reserve tank and leak water on to the ground. there is that smell off it aswell, radiator seems to be emptying itself tru the overflow pipe that leads to the reserve tank, no oily deposits on oil cap, only a gurgling radiator , water / coolent levels always cheacked. radiator not leaking. is this early signs of head-gasket failure? does it have to boil over properly to warp the head? suggestions please..

Hi there,

when you say leaking water; is this from the over flow?

Have you checked:

for blockages (hoses, radiator, thermostat)?

water pump operating normally?

Blown head gasket:

Excessive white smoke and a sweet smell from the exhaust can be one indication of a blown headgasket. Have you noticed this?

is it just emptying it on idle once warm or is it after some enthusiastic driving?

you are getting classic 1st symptoms but as GT Driver has said ensure the water ways are clear and the water pump is operatin before getting the HG done as it is a costly process and if you dont fix the cause then it could be money wasted

is it just emptying it on idle once warm or is it after some enthusiastic driving?

you are getting classic 1st symptoms but as GT Driver has said ensure the water ways are clear and the water pump is operatin before getting the HG done as it is a costly process and if you dont fix the cause then it could be money wasted

Hi GT Driver / GTForbes it is leaking water from the over flow pipe. with the radiator cap removed small bubbles of air can be seen rising, when cap is replaced and its allowed to warm up completely or taking for a quick spin. it starts to push the water/coolent from the radiator along the over flow pipe on to the ground. its pushing up a cocktail of rust/water/coolent, i plan to remove the radiator and flush it to see if this makes any difference,there is a fair blast of steam exiting the exaust that does not lessen when its warm, anyway thanks for your input guys, i will let you know how i get on.

Hi GT Driver / GTForbes it is leaking water from the over flow pipe. with the radiator cap removed small bubbles of air can be seen rising, when cap is replaced and its allowed to warm up completely or taking for a quick spin. it starts to push the water/coolent from the radiator along the over flow pipe on to the ground. its pushing up a cocktail of rust/water/coolent, i plan to remove the radiator and flush it to see if this makes any difference,there is a fair blast of steam exiting the exaust that does not lessen when its warm, anyway thanks for your input guys, i will let you know how i get on.

Hmmm, a degree of white smoke/mist/vapour isn't uncommon from the exhaust, especially in cold weather. Steam however doesn't sound good. If your still not certain i would check for blockages before having someone take your engine apart. Good luck with this fella, hope you get it sorted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links