Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Why Would I Choose An Auris?

John C.

no big lad but i have driven a mates for a good lot of miles. just spend that extra split second lifting your foot from the clutch. its more than likely its poor driving like your poor review of the car :thumbsup:

Sori I dont take advice from new drivers! I suggest u go bk 2 ur books and read up on CLUTCH CONTROL. :lol: .

haha. well ive driven a lot more than anyone thinks its part of my job ;)

dunno how long youve been driving, and you still cant seem to get the basics correct. ive never ever been in an auris which jutters. then again, the driver has control

U knw wot i dnt argue with ppl like u eitha. Ur literally showin ur age. This aint a playground and u aint in school! So keep ur comments 2 urself matey coz i dnt wana hear em and i dnt fink any1 else does eitha.!!

I hate to say it youth you have also just shown your age with all that gibberish crap you have written above, may I suggest if you cant type the queens english then dont bother

Come on people, calm down! I started this thread to gather together some opinions on the Auris to help me decide whether or not to keep it on my short list of possibilities if I change my car. I'm grateful for the contributions but these last few posts haven't helped at all. I certainly didn't expect to start a slanging match!

I am also considering an Auris but am holding back until the revised model arrives . It is said that it will be later this year.

My goodness! So many replies. Thank you everyone for taking the time to pass on your views.

Yes, the Lexus is a lovely car, and I still enjoy driving it. However, I have had it for 8 years. I fancy a change and I would really like something a bit smaller. Just to clear one thing up: I was considering the 1.6 TR. I do not want a diesel and I do want manual transmission. I am not too bothered about looks, which are a personal thing anyway. I do want reliability. I would like it to be 'nice' to drive. It doesn't have to be particularly quick with ace handling but should be satisfying to drive. Reasonably quiet would be good as well.

I will go through all the replies carefully and will arrange a test drive.

Thanks again for all your input to the debate.

Hi john, and welcome to the forum.

My car is the 1.6tr manual, and i think its fair to say that i have been one of the auris's biggest critics in the past.... Upon reading everyones comments i find myself agreeing & disagreeing in equal measure,

Personally if it was financially viable i would get rid of my Auris and buy something else as nothings really changed in that i am still disappointed overall with my choice.

The best thing you can do is arrange for a long test drive or preferably where you get to try one out for a couple of days. Ultimately the choice will be yours, and what i will say is... go with your gut feeling, and if your gut feeling says No, then don't buy the car, had i listened to mine i'm sure i would'nt be an Auris owner today.

So, to pick up on a few of the things you have mentioned, and i'm going to leave the really negative stuff aside... i can tell you that the Auris 1.6 petrol engine is very quiet, the car has been reliable so far in that it has not broken down , i personally love the Auris for its understated looks, which is the first thing that attracted me to the car, the 1.6 engine is not particularly quick and you really have to rev it to make it shift, but in doing so you will notice those little fuel squares on the optitron meter display disappear quicker than your money after the kids came along, i tend to drive conservatively and yet the best i have managed around town is approx 31mpg ( Summer driving ) Approx 26 ( winter driving ).. The first gear on the Auris 1.6 petrol engine is very very short, and it annoys the hell out of me, as for comfort, the ride is not great, but its not bad iether , and from what you describe in your requirements i think you will find it o'k, the other thing i will mention though, is the drivers seat, i find that i can never seem to be able to get comfortable because the upper left side of the back- rest tends to stick in the left side of my ribs, so i find myself sliding my body over to the right , but the trouble is i then find myself sitting offset to the steering wheel, is this just me or has anyone else experienced this ? ... Anyway as said only you will decide if you like the Auris or not, so i hope you have found everyones comments of use. Its also important to point out of course that my experiences are based on last years model, and not the new and improved Auris, i hope you find what your looking for john, and good luck with it all :thumbsup:

no big lad but i have driven a mates for a good lot of miles. just spend that extra split second lifting your foot from the clutch. its more than likely its poor driving like your poor review of the car :thumbsup:

Sori I dont take advice from new drivers! I suggest u go bk 2 ur books and read up on CLUTCH CONTROL. :lol: .

dunno how long youve been driving, and you still cant seem to get the basics correct. ive never ever been in an auris which jutters. then again, the driver has control

U knw wot i dnt argue with ppl like u eitha. Ur literally showin ur age. This aint a playground and u aint in school! So keep ur comments 2 urself matey coz i dnt wana hear em and i dnt fink any1 else does eitha.!!

I hate to say it youth you have also just shown your age with all that gibberish crap you have written above, may I suggest if you cant type the queens english then dont bother

Sorry John and the other participants, didnt mean to ruin your forum but we all giving comments and that doesnt give anyone the right to attack another persons opinion as is the case here. And im sorry but i do not stand for that.

As for the comment above by Rick, u have proven u are no better mate!!

Sorry John and the other participants, didnt mean to ruin your forum but we all giving comments and that doesnt give anyone the right to attack another persons opinion as is the case here. And im sorry but i do not stand for that.

Listen guys, its fair to say that things can turn a bit bitchy at times and you are right abz-t2 that just because someone else does'nt agree , that it doe's not give them the right to turn comments into a personal slanging match..... just my two bobs worth :thumbsup:

PS . John -c Whatever you decide , let us no how you get on :thumbsup:

Being biased but...

If your Lex is 8 years old then you could consider a Nissan Qashqai. The reason for my suggestion is that an 8 year old Lex would qualify for Nissans British built scrappage scheme so can guarentee 2k trade in, it has 20cm ground clearance so nice and easy to get in and out of, a fully rounded 37points from EuroNcap for interior safety, good fuel economy (52mpg from the 1.5Dci) and a load of accessories as standard, and of course helping the UK workforce, just a thought :)

I was not having a go at your opinion, everyone has one I was having ago at the txt and as I dont write txt I have not proven I am no better.

Being biased but...

If your Lex is 8 years old then you could consider a Nissan Qashqai. The reason for my suggestion is that an 8 year old Lex would qualify for Nissans British built scrappage scheme so can guarentee 2k trade in, it has 20cm ground clearance so nice and easy to get in and out of, a fully rounded 37points from EuroNcap for interior safety, good fuel economy (52mpg from the 1.5Dci) and a load of accessories as standard, and of course helping the UK workforce, just a thought :)

I think your car has to be older than 10 years to get the £2k trade in and you have to have owned the car more than a year.

Being biased but...

I think your car has to be older than 10 years to get the £2k trade in and you have to have owned the car more than a year.

I think nissanman is refering to Nissans british built scrappage scheme :thumbsup:

Indeed, thanks Balli, different manufacturers have introduced different spins on the scrappage scheme, we've put more emphasis on british built cars as after all the incentive is there to boost the british economy. By selling imported cars that's not really going to happen to the full extent possible.

I was not having a go at your opinion, everyone has one I was having ago at the txt and as I dont write txt I have not proven I am no better.

Thanks balli! Atleast there is one decent person in this forum.

And Rick u have proved my point even further. Whether ur HAVIN A GO at my opinion or my txt dsnt make a difference. The point being DONT HAVE A GO in the 1ST place!! And u have responded 2 my comment exactly wot i did!! 4 gods sake wot is up with these ppl??!! This forum is weird!

I suggest keep the topic of the forum related to the ACTUAL CARS plz instead of concentration and correcting ppls opinions and txt. Sori but i will write how i find it convenient 2!! If u dnt like it? tough!! :)

As for this topic i dnt think il b visiting again!! haha.

Good luk John!!

:thumbsup:

I'd go for a 1.4 d4d model driven both myself and I found the d4d was a nicer car to drive only gripe about them is the turbo takes to long to kick in when pulling away from junctions

Funny :rolleyes: Everybody started to talk about the T180, but John C. would like to buy 1.6. Or not?

Where does he say he's thinking about a 1.6???

"The 2009 model, with the six-speed gearbox and a little more power ( maybe than Auris 2007????), are more points in the car's favour".

Maybe :unsure:

So how do you know it isn't the new 1.33 101BHP Optimal Drive Auris?

That has a 6 Speed box and is really nice to drive... my brother loves his :thumbsup:

the miss has just ordered her new 1.33 today should be here in 3 weeks will give you a update once its here

I have a 1.6T-Spirit and am generally happy with it. On an admittedly straightforward commute I am averaging 40mpg, not sure whether it is the T-Spirit trim but it is quiet albeit revvy at motorway speeds, the new 6 speed box would help here.

On the downside I did have the dreaded brake squeal issue, however this got better on its own, and I have noted an occasional bout of clutch judder when loaded that has not happened enough for me to take it back to the garage.

There are compromises with the car, however given the same choices I would buy the same car again and that must say something.

Colin

I did have the dreaded brake squeal issue, however this got better on its own
Yeah they all do.

As this thread now seems to be more or less exhausted, I thought I should just sum up how I see things now. First, and most importantly, I am very grateful for all the input. Overall we seem to have a rather mixed picture. One thing that comes through is that feelings are pretty polarised - you seem to either hate the car or really like it! There don't seem to be too many "Well, it's OK, I supppose". T180 owners seem to be the happiest but I'm afraid I really do not want a diesel. OldSko01 suggested I look at the reviews on What Car and Fifth Gear. There seem to be more positive than negative opinions on these sites so thank you for pointing me in that direction. I hadn't thought about the Qashqui but I have to say I would be very upset if I only got £2K for my Lexus - the What Car valuation suggests £4.6K for a part ex!

I know ColinB from another (motorcycling) forum so he is aware that I have been thinking about this change for a while now, but I still haven't been able to make up my mind. The Lexus came, as standard, with a lot of extras. Things like heated seats and electrically folding mirrors are not essential, of course, but are nice things to have and are not even available as options on the Auris. Maybe Mountain Mania is right - I should keep the Lexus. I have just washed and polished it, it still looks as good as new and it still drives beautifully. As my wife keeps saying "Why are you even thinking about changing it?"

Hopefully you won't mind if I keep on "lurking"? I will arrange an extended test drive of an Auris sometime, and let you know what I think after that - but I am in no rush to make a decision.

Thank you again, everyone. This has been an interesting exercise for me.

If my circumstances didn't dictate me to change my old Corolla T Sport, I would still be driving it now as it works beautifully and not had a problem with it and it was fun.

Its all to do with what you need and luck in finding a good specimen, whichever way you choose to go good luck with your decision!

If my circumstances didn't dictate me to change my old Corolla T Sport, I would still be driving it now as it works beautifully and not had a problem with it and it was fun.

Its all to do with what you need and luck in finding a good specimen, whichever way you choose to go good luck with your decision!

Sorry for jumping on this thread but just wanted to ask what you preferred about the TSport?, I'm considering replacing mine for a T180 and having driven it and read the comments on here remain undecided.

Sorry for jumping on this thread but just wanted to ask what you preferred about the TSport?, I'm considering replacing mine for a T180 and having driven it and read the comments on here remain undecided.

1 reason - 2ZZGE

But there was no way i was going to do 20-25k miles in the T Sport a year, it would have bankrupted me.

I am one of the few people here who are totally happy with my T180, if i had to i would choose it again, but only if i could choose MY particular car as there seems to be wide ranging quality/engine finish. I think me and OLDSKOOL are the only ones who has decent MPG somehow.

Anyway, I think the T180 is a fine choice, if you so decide then i would definitely take time in looking for a good one, you are armed with all this useful information from the forum so it should help you choose.

Good luck anyway.

Yes i'm happy with mine too

I get good MPG, 43mpg on the clock at the moment and thats with a lot of town driving. Economy aside its quick, its quite fun to drive and its the perfect compromise from a hot hatch although its not quite as nimble but its beautifully set up for miles. The compressor on the m-way was awful. 300 miles and ear bursting, not relaxing at all. The t180 just wafts along and could reach 500 miles to a tank.

Like T-Sport 1978 i started doing more miles so wanted something that wouldn't cost much to fuel and tax. Plus the compressor wasn't recommended past 80k and thats from a toyota mechanic i know stating the forced induction didn't make the CTS-C a high mile-er.

Anyway, t180... cheap to run, cheap to tax, cheap to insure, good on fuel for 180bhp imho. Its better on fuel consumption than the 1.6 auris yet its in a completely different league. I chose it because the other "performance" diesels were the seat 170 (too many mechanical problems reported), A3 170 (nothing special). Golf, too many friends and family with problems ranging from breaking down, massive service bills and consistently failing gearboxes. Not much else as i wouldn't ever buy a renault again, or vauxhall. I did consider the 120d as the 123d was scarce and too expensive at the time but the interior space was just far too small.

T180 might not be the ultimate looker but apart from the Golf GT none of them really are, even the breadvan BMW. But really the T180 does look pretty nice. So as an overall package i'm happy and probably have the best car for my needs. I did sit in it the other day and thought really they could have used some nice chrome type stuff instead of the light silver plastic and they could have used softer plastic for the dash for little extra cost, but for some reason they didn't. But at the end of the day, take a look at the SEAT. Even the golf isn't really that special, its still plastic and the grey soft plastic dash was the same that i had in a crappy old clio nearly 15 years ago.

Put it this way, there is no way i would swap it for any other car apart from a BMW 330d or 330i which is a serious step up and i am at the point where i could afford to do so but i'm not going to because i'm happy with the t180 and i've only put 20k on it so far. The only other reason i would change it would be if my mileage drops and i bought a ex-demo / low mileage new Ford focus RS.

I have had 2 Corolla TSports, first was a 4 door Pre face lift model, then a face lift model. I changed the last one for my T180. As said The engine is what I miss most, although the T180 is only 10 BHP less and packs a fair punch with the anmount of Tourque, it isnt as quick as the TSport.

What I do prefer however are all the extra toys equipped in the T180, I have also just fitted a Roof spoiler (same as TS one) and rear skirt with twin exhausts. This has made the T180 look a bit more sportier but sublte as was the TS. The wife prefers the TS for its engine as well.

All in all the Auris with the equipment and general looks with a few TTE mods can look as good as the TSport with slighlty less performance. Fuel economy in the T180 though is crap for a diesel, although I didnt buy it for economy, I wanted an Auris with similar performance to the TS. When going through the turbo dont expect much more than the TS, but if you drive sensibly then you should get high 30s, the most Ive had is low 50s but this was driving at 50mph.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links