Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Clutch Options

stryder

Hi All

Finally got round to sorting the clutch on my Rav 4 D4d 2001.

So many options on which clutch to fit so would appreaciate some help.

Any issues regarding the solid flywheels that are now being produced as a modification??

Seen several including one from AP clutches.

Does anyone have a contact to get replacement Clutch and Flywheels.

Such a variation in prices i am concerned about the quality. Thought about using the high street clutch installers but they are very evasive on who is manufacturing their clutches so they can forget it.

Help much appreaciated.

Thanks

Stryder

Hi Stryder

The OE clutch is made by LUK and replacements are readily availably from motor factors. Just have a look in the yellow pages for factors in your area and have a phone around. They also pop quite frequently on eBay.

The prospect of using solid flywheels is fairly well documented here and I personally would advise against it as the engine shock waves will be simply passes on to the transmission. However, I don't believe we have heard from anyone who has fitted one so we have no practical opinion about them.

I don't think there should be any problems with the likes of AP or other well known brands of clutch assembly.

Thanks Anchorman

Just had a look and it seems i can get a LUK complete with flywheel for £430.

Sounds cheap what do you think?

Yes I've seen those go for around £695 + VAT so that seems pretty good.

Have you heard how the AISIN kits perform. Site seems to suggest they are fitted by Toyota as OE?

Thanks

I've got it in my head that the 4.2 diesel clutch is an LUK (maybe from chatter's photos?) but I couldn't be sure at the moment! The 4.3 definitely is.

Maybe the 4.2 petrol has an Aisin clutch and I do believe they supply Toyota as OE on some variants so I would have no problems in fitting a suitable DMF kit made by them.

Jap stuff is generall very good and possibly the only reason that the diesel is fitted with a German clutch is that I think (and this is only a gut feeling based upon experience with Toyota during my brake development days) that the diesel variants are developed in Toyota Europe (Belgium) primarily for a European Market.

Core petrol development (and suitable transmissions) is done in Japan for the giant US market.

Thanks

I seem to remeber someone posting how they did their own clutch but cant seem to find it. do you know of a this guide or who it was. My mate is doing the job in his garage but he said i can give him a lift to keep cost down.

Can you help

Thanks

stryder

Thanks

I seem to remeber someone posting how they did their own clutch but cant seem to find it. do you know of a this guide or who it was. My mate is doing the job in his garage but he said i can give him a lift to keep cost down.

Can you help

Thanks

stryder

See link -

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...%20run&st=0

Anchorman... Any chance you could send me the info you sent Bodgit on DMF/Clutch job. All info is good as far as i am concerned.

Will message my email address.

Thanks

Stryder

Well after a long and extensive search including France and Germany i finally sourced a new DMF and clutch. After all the trawling i picked it up from 4 miles down the road and it was on the shelf. Talk about a waste of life!

Total price for the DMF and clutch kit was £453 inc Vat.

This was for a LUK after market kit from German and Swedish in Trafford Park. Best price i have found anywhere.

Spoke to LUK at length and the guy was great and explained why people should not be tempted to use the solid mass conversion as they were put on early Fords which led to damaged transmission and even a broken crank.

For this price it aint worth the risk IMO.

Thanks Anchorman for the diagrams etc been a big help.

German and Swedish on 0161 876 0409 or check t'internet for local branch.

Off to mates garage now if i can just remeber how to put it all together again.........

Can you take some photographs?

I have just fitted a Blue print solid clutch kit in my wifes 2002 Rav.The DMF that came out was an Aisin unit and has covered 63k and was supposed to be the "modified unit",looks like it wasnt modified enough

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links