Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr 180 Rear Bumper Protector

abaddon1

I have a 2009 (last of the current shape) rav4 SR180s. If like me you want a n improved form of rear bumper protection as discussed on post 95487 you may have considered the full size plastic/rubber protection part No PZ415-X0523-00. Do not bother: it will not fit the SR180. The protector is half an inch deeper than the bumper and cannot be cut to fit because the curve of the bumper is different. To make it fit requires cutting half an inch off the depth, drilling the new protector for the retaining holes and then trimming the lip that is supposed to curl over the bumper (one third of each side will require cutting so it is flat - ). The major stumbling block is trimming the lip so that it does not look like a dogs dinner -by the time it is trimmed enough to be flat/flush with the bumper hardly any retaining tape is left and the leading side edges of paint on the bumper is still exposed. Finally the trim is not as wide as the standard small protector so you have to carefully remove and hope no paint comes off.

I am not overly keen on the protection film as a means to stop my dogs scratching the bumper, but it is the only option on the SR180.

I hope this saves someone some time and expense as I spent ages weighing various options

:(

I have a 2009 (last of the current shape) rav4 SR180s. If like me you want a n improved form of rear bumper protection as discussed on post 95487 you may have considered the full size plastic/rubber protection part No PZ415-X0523-00. Do not bother: it will not fit the SR180. The protector is half an inch deeper than the bumper and cannot be cut to fit because the curve of the bumper is different. To make it fit requires cutting half an inch off the depth, drilling the new protector for the retaining holes and then trimming the lip that is supposed to curl over the bumper (one third of each side will require cutting so it is flat - ). The major stumbling block is trimming the lip so that it does not look like a dogs dinner -by the time it is trimmed enough to be flat/flush with the bumper hardly any retaining tape is left and the leading side edges of paint on the bumper is still exposed. Finally the trim is not as wide as the standard small protector so you have to carefully remove and hope no paint comes off.

I am not overly keen on the protection film as a means to stop my dogs scratching the bumper, but it is the only option on the SR180.

I hope this saves someone some time and expense as I spent ages weighing various options

Have you thought about getting your local sheet metal works to make you up a bespoke plate in either aluminium chequer plate or stainless steel?

No idea what the cost would be but not a difficult job for an expert. You could make a paper pattern and the plate would only need a small amount of rolled edge. Fix with heavy duty trim tape.

With regard to protection film, you can buy various sized pieces on e-bay and it is very tough - Ventureshield film was developed to protect chopper rotors in desert conditions.

Welcome to the club by the way :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links