Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Detachable Towbar For Xtr

sac

I have a RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R on an 07 plate, and want to fit a detachable towbar. I have been quoted > £1000 by a Toyota dealer, and placed an order with an private (but reputable) company for the same. They originally quoted £450 including special wiring, but then called to say that Toyota had not released the detachable towbar for this model to the aftercare market, so if I want a detachable one, my only option is the Toyota dealer. can anyone verify this situation, or let me know of any alternatives?

I recently had a Whitter detachable fitted to my 08 XT5 for £358 by a local company, who also do all the towbars for the local dealership. Used the proper wiring loom and was well pleased with the work.

Towbar2.jpg

Towbar3.jpg

I think most of the major manufacturers make towbars to fit the Rav.

Might be worth phoning around?

(Welcome to the club)

:thumbsup:

Thanks for this. Can you name the company, in case they have links in my part of the world (Spalding, Lincolnshire)? I am new to caravaning, so unsure of exactly what to ask for here.

I have a RAV4 2.2 D-4D XT-R on an 07 plate, and want to fit a detachable towbar. I have been quoted > £1000 by a Toyota dealer, and placed an order with an private (but reputable) company for the same. They originally quoted £450 including special wiring, but then called to say that Toyota had not released the detachable towbar for this model to the aftercare market, so if I want a detachable one, my only option is the Toyota dealer. can anyone verify this situation, or let me know of any alternatives?

I negotiated the detachable Toyota towbar as a freebie when I bought my T180 but I checked the cost at the time and it was more like £850 from the dealer (but didn't they go and fit single electrics instead of double electrics.) I've never towed anything with it though - I just wanted a freebie thrown in! So don't know how your dealer could charge over £1000. Phone around other dealers - it's amazing the differences they can come up with, e.g. first year service ranged from £137 to £224.

Toyota use a badged Thule ( used to be Brink ) towbar on the RAV 4.3. The bar is available with a Thule Badge from many places. I bought mine from Halfords ( OK, laugh, but they were cheapest ) and fitted it myself. It is an excellent bar, very robust and a really secure fit when attached. When you buy one be sure to get the right version as they do one for a vehicle with a spare wheel and one without. Mine, without spare wheel version, was Thule part number 4756. Price was £172.33. Wiring is very easy if you use the Toyota kit from "Parts King" on this forum. Mine was just over £90. Would definitely recommend this as the auxillary loom just plugs into existing sockets and avoids using Scotchlok type connectors.

Good luck!

Thanks for this. Can you name the company, in case they have links in my part of the world (Spalding, Lincolnshire)? I am new to caravaning, so unsure of exactly what to ask for here.

The company is South Wales only unfortunately but you can Click here! to check them out. Maybe you could get a quote and then ask a local firm to price match?

The cheaper option is DIY as Three5 suggests. I think there is one wire that you have to run through to the front of the car. Personally I didn't want the hassle and I've got a guarantee if anything goes wrong. :thumbsup:

The company is South Wales only unfortunately but you can Click here! to check them out. Maybe you could get a quote and then ask a local firm to price match?

The cheaper option is DIY as Three5 suggests. I think there is one wire that you have to run through to the front of the car. Personally I didn't want the hassle and I've got a guarantee if anything goes wrong. :thumbsup:

Thanks for jogging my memory Richwafta :thumbsup: There is a problem with the Toyota wiring kit that has raised it's head a couple of times on here: The instructions say "put the fuse in the fuseholder with the red striped cable" or something very similar. This is INCORRECT and the indicators will not work with the fuse in this position. Put it in the other fuseholder that is adjacent to the one mentioned and everything works fine! I've just noticed that you will be towing a caravan so will probably want a 12N and a 12S socket installation. I've never seen the wiring for that on a 4.3 but would put money on you having to fit fuses in both of the fuseholders. In that case just ignore the previous bit of this post :wacko:

Indespension, the trailer people quoted me about £360 using their own wiring for a brinks/thule detachable + claim they give a lifetime warrantee they do not use scotchlocks + reckon the wiring (twin electrics) is straightforward on the Rav :thumbsup:

Hi i've used towequipe.co.uk several times including two Rav 4.3's they have a very good selection of fixed and detachable towbars for the 4.3 from the main manufacturers (bosal, witter, Thule, westfalia and others) they also do vehicle specific wiring kits so they just plug in 13 pin or 7N/7S(westfalia i believe same as supplied to Toyota). You can fit yourself or they have fitting centres around the country, Peterborough probably your nearest. If you want to fit yourself they have excellent telephone advice line to assist if you get stuck. Nothing to do with them just a very pleased customer. :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links