Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Buying Tips, Anything To Look Out For?

simongtv

Hi, i'm new to here as i've 'nearly' bought a Toyota

I've test driven an 03 2.0 VVT i T Spirit and liked it. It's done 53000 and is on for £4750. I was after a diesel but i liked the petrol and i can't find a diesel with such a high spec for anywhere near the same milage and money.

I've had a good look around the car and all looks very tidy, 1 owner, full service history etc but i was wondering if there was any things/potential problems i should look out for on this car/model. My other car is an Alfa Romeo GTV so i'm used to plenty of foibles!

Any help appreciated

Simon

Sounds alright. I bought my 55 T-Spirit for £6300 with 66975 miles and 3 months warrenty.

Cheap if everythings ok why not! I think the only problem with the VVT-I is Oil consumption.

Sounds alright. I bought my 55 T-Spirit for £6300 with 66975 miles and 3 months warrenty.

Cheap if everythings ok why not! I think the only problem with the VVT-I is Oil consumption.

hello

as far as i heard from dealers - these 2.0 vvt-i are not suffered from oil cons issue.

cheers/Igor

thanks for the reply,

when you say the oil is a problem what do you mean, is there anyway i can check if it uses more than it should. Why do they use a lot of oil, is it because of another problem?

thanks Igor, can anyone confirm is this model guzzles oil??

cheers

thanks for the reply,

when you say the oil is a problem what do you mean, is there anyway i can check if it uses more than it should. Why do they use a lot of oil, is it because of another problem?

thanks Igor, can anyone confirm is this model guzzles oil??

cheers

hello again

the problem is with violation of pistons thermal design resulting their overheating in hi-tech engine (1.8 vvt-i).

as the result the piston oil drain hole/s become clogged with an oil slags blocking oil drain into the sump. at the same time the oil scrapper rings lose mobility.

as to the confirmation you need -- simply learn some pages and you'll see the only (most) 1.8 engines are not lucky.

cheers/Igor

Hi, things to watch out for are alloy damage or the paint on the alloys bubbling, expensive to repair, check tail gate and make sure the gas struts aren't sagging or locking making it difficult to open or close. Front brake disc's only tend to last about 30-40000 miles and rear ones have been known to be under minimum thickness after 40000 miles so check and make sure they OK. Head lights can mist up on early models see if they have been changed for upgraded headlight units, another problem is bulbs melting in head light and making it inpossible to change(cured with upgraded headlights)

It should have a full size spare alloy and tyre in the boot, check because it has been known for these to be taken out to use on other cars.

thanks

i've checked the alloys and they're fine and the spare is a 'proper' alloy too. I'll check the other things suggested.

cheers

Simon

To simongtv,

A good choice & with the best engine, the 2 litre. The 1.8 litre has oil consumption problems due to poor piston design, as to why with most people knowing this they choose the 1.8 litre i don't know. The 2 litre is a fine buy. Basic wear & tear items like Fr/Re anti roll bar bushes & links don't last too long depending on condition of your local roads. As pointed out by other forum user, they can have problems with condensation within h/lamp units due to poor sealing on the rear bulb access covers ( should have been sorted out under warranty?).

As with all cars check paperwork over & over. And make sure you carry out HPI check. I am sure other people will come up with other problem reagarding this vehicle, but on the whole a very good buy.

You can say bye - bye to changing you top wishbone units on your Alfa every 20/30,00 miles. The Avensis is a good solid reliable car which should give you years of reliable motoring. But don't expect the fun of driving the Alfa the Avensis will never match that.

Regards, Beagh.

My bad. I though it was all the VVT-I engines as people here wern't being specific on which VVT-I engine it was. I know now that the 1.8 is the problem. Ive never owned a VVT-I so thats why.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links